• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

White Sox take Eric Adler in the 6th round. First Deacon off the draft board.

Tampa Rays take WF commit Gary Gill Hill in the 6th round as well.

Padres take WF recruit Isaiah Lowe in the 11th round.

Which of the above draftees will be at WFU in the fall?

Which of the above draftees will be at WFU in the fall?

I would be beyond shocked if the Rays drafted a player in the 6th round without knowing that he was signable.

The Rays signed every pick last year

The Padres signed all of their first 18 picks (from the first 17 rounds) last year

Gill Hill has already said that he hopes to sign with the Rays. For both, it will likely depend on how much money they have left over after they sign their higher draft picks. For the Rays, they have $255K slotted for their six round pick. For Lowe drafted in the 11th round, the Padres can offer up to $150K, but many teams don't have that much bonus pool money left if they have signed their higher round picks.

I guess a WF baseball benefactor could offer either or both more money in an NIL deal to sweeten the attractiveness of going to college (this isn't college football or hoop, but there will be some draftees that may get some extra NIL money to entice them to not sign).

Would guess that Gill Hill is going to sign with the Rays, and Lowe is about 50/50 whether to sign with MLB or go to WF.

Jays take WF SS Michael Turconi in the 15th round. The Jays GM, Ross Atkins, is a Deac.

In 2021, 99% of those taken in the first 10 rounds signed

86% of those taken in rounds 11-20 signed

In 2021, 99% of those taken in the first 10 rounds signed

86% of those taken in rounds 11-20 signed

Those numbers are a little skewed because almost every college players signs while a lower percentage of HS players sign. That said, now that MLB has shortened the draft to 20 rounds (it was 40 through 2019), a higher % of players do sign. However, WF 2B Daniel Corona was drafted by the Pirates last year out of HS, and he did not sign as he played for the Deacs this past Spring.

Angels take WF C Brendan Tinsman in the 20th round. Deacs have 3 players and at least two recruits drafted. Next year, WF may have multiple players go early.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see if Turc and Tinsman sign. Selfishly hoping no but you lose all leverage if you run out of college eligibility. If they get a decent bonus then they are gone. Even if they stay and get drafted higher next year, the lack of eligibility could actually mean their payday is lower.

Will be interesting to see if Turc and Tinsman sign. Selfishly hoping no but you lose all leverage if you run out of college eligibility. If they get a decent bonus then they are gone. Even if they stay and get drafted higher next year, the lack of eligibility could actually mean their payday is lower.

Had a short discussion with a Tinsman relative at the NCAA Regoonal Tournament. She indicated Tinsman was gone from Wake if drafted. So don't expect to see him at Wake in the fall.

And after the year he had I don’t see him boosting his stock any more. He is who he is

Any news on if anyone has signed yet? Haven’t seen anything.

Story on Gill-Hill from his local paper.

Includes the quote, ""I'm pretty sure I'll sign with the Rays," Gill-Hill said. "But my advisor and I are still negotiating stuff and finalizing things."

(It's from 3 days ago, but ... I mean, he's going to sign barring something completely unexpected.)

Any news on if anyone has signed yet? Haven’t seen anything.

Only a handful of draftees have signed yet (Kumar Rocker signed a below market deal with Rangers for $5.2 million). None of the WF players/recruits have announced yet. That said, the time is short to sign. MLB must sign their draft picks by August 1.

Sounds like Gill Hill will sign. Lowe is probable. Adler, Tinsman and Turconi are expected sign as well.

Some of the draftees with college eligibility remaining may play a little "chicken" with the drafting club, trying to get some additional $$$$ by waiting until late July to sign.

The Cape League All-Star Game was played over the weekend. Brock Wilken, Brennan Oxford and Seth Keener were named all-stars.

Also, 20th round pick Brendan Tinsman signed with the Angels for $25K. So far, there has been no reporting of any other WF player or recruit signing. The deadline is 6 days away.

WF baseball has had issues living up to the hype, but it's looking like the 2023 roster is going to be loaded.

Last edited:
Back