• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

i believe we were ranked in the previous three preseason rankings and disappointed each year.

I will continue to follow and watch but I also have zero expectations for this team. If we don't at least make the NCAA's then it's time to move on. So much money has been poured into this program that the lack of results is really troubling.

Would say relative to our competition, WF has put more money into the baseball program than any program in the athletic department. WF's pitching lab is as good as any in the country. Not many baseball programs have their own weight-room, and locker room/video facilities that WF has dedicated to the Diamond Deacs. WF has baseball alumni donors that are willing to write checks at any time for almost any reason. Further, the team clearly recruits at high level as WF has had several high draft picks each of the last few seasons. WF has had its Friday night pitcher taken in the 1st round each of the past two seasons. It's not like the fanbase is ragging that WF hasn't made a trip to Omaha; the Deacs should be at least a .500 ACC team and in the field of 64 almost every year, given the resources and the talent. Very frustrating.

with the amount of talent we've had the past 3-4 years and the pitching lab that we are reminded of every waking moment...

Yes, it has been more than frustrating to see the poor results the last few years. Maybe this year will be different, but I'm highly skeptical being that Walter remains on the staff.

Would say relative to our competition, WF has put more money into the baseball program than any program in the athletic department. WF's pitching lab is as good as any in the country. Not many baseball programs have their own weight-room, and locker room/video facilities that WF has dedicated to the Diamond Deacs. WF has baseball alumni donors that are willing to write checks at any time for almost any reason. Further, the team clearly recruits at high level as WF has had several high draft picks each of the last few seasons. WF has had its Friday night pitcher taken in the 1st round each of the past two seasons. It's not like the fanbase is ragging that WF hasn't made a trip to Omaha; the Deacs should be at least a .500 ACC team and in the field of 64 almost every year, given the resources and the talent. Very frustrating.

Walter has raised much of that money.

Opening Day is Friday against Lafayette.

Is there a KenPom equivalent for college baseball?

Warren Nolan and D1 baseball publish RPI rankings for every D1 program, but those rankings aren’t released until the season is underway.

Can WF pay these guys for this commercial?

Does WF need to pay royalties to Phil Collins?

Unranked. Low expectations.

Look for the Deacs to play better ball this season. :thumbsup:

Hope we have a great season. I don't have high expectations.

But what I do know is that we now have an AD who will pull the trigger if this season is not acceptable. That's so refreshing.

I will continue to follow and watch but I also have zero expectations for this team. If we don't at least make the NCAA's then it's time to move on. So much money has been poured into this program that the lack of results is really troubling.

With you 100% on this.

If we don't make the NCAAs, then it's time to move on from Walter.

I have a bad feeling Walter will put together a slightly above mediocre season and do just enough to avoid being fired. Wait. We’ve got an AD who had expectations now. I fully expect his firing in 3 months.

???

As one of the few who seriously follow Wake baseball, I'm excited but have zero expectations. I'm hoping for better fundamental baseball with fewer Ks. There is not as much power in the lineup but maybe we learn how to advance runners, run the bases, and make productive outs. Who knows. Go Deacs!!

Interesting Hartle is starting Saturday. May have to stop by and see how he does.

We will never get anywhere, and never DESERVE to get anywhere, until we put some goddamn dirt back on the field. WTF. Turf/synthetic grass, whatever, I've come to accept that. But no DIRT??? Nah, man, that's fucked up. That's a step too far. Unacceptable.
Raise some more money for some dirt and you'll have my attention rather than some coordinated PR offensive for some dorky pitching lab.

Back