• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

Wes Johnson, who was the Minnesota Twins pitching coach (and making $250k for said job) just took a role as LSU's pitching coach, where he will get paid $750k.

Put this in the category of Things I Never Thought I'd See

Curious take. Ole Miss had been to the college world series once in the last 50 years, and unless they had a transfer who did, no one on the roster had ever played in the CWS.

I just meant they had made the trail to the CWS. If we could ever do that, I'd like our chances at returning if our talent stayed up.

After a week of games in NC, USA Baseball named their national team to compete in a World Tournament in the Netherlands in mid-July. Ole Miss' HC is the manager. Over 50 players were invited to the tryout, and the top 26 made the roster. These are the best non-draft eligible college players; IOW, the best returning players in college baseball. Two Deacs made squad: Rhett Lowder and Teddy McGraw. Impressive that two of WF's three weekend starters made the US National team. Brock Wilken played (and did well), but he did not make the squad. Five teams had two players make the final roster: WF, LSU, Ole Miss, Vandy and FSU (of the those 5 teams only WF and FSU don't have coaches selecting the players on the roster).

Here is the link to the full Team USA roster: https://www.usabaseball.com/news/topic/collegiate/usa-baseball-names-2022-collegiate-national-team-roster

After a week of games in NC, USA Baseball named their national team to compete in a World Tournament in the Netherlands in mid-July. Ole Miss' HC is the manager. Over 50 players were invited to the tryout, and the top 26 made the roster. These are the best non-draft eligible college players; IOW, the best returning players in college baseball. Two Deacs made squad: Rhett Lowder and Teddy McGraw. Impressive that two of WF's three weekend starters made the US National team. Brock Wilken played (and did well), but he did not make the squad. Five teams had two players make the final roster: WF, LSU, Ole Miss, Vandy and FSU (of the those 5 teams only WF and FSU don't have coaches selecting the players on the roster).

Here is the link to the full Team USA roster: https://www.usabaseball.com/news/topic/collegiate/usa-baseball-names-2022-collegiate-national-team-roster

Congrats to the guys to show out well. What an experience for them.

%7B51725963-ebd0-4a97-8e1e-ff444d8d7898%7D_DSC00722.jpg

Lowder Soaking In Memorable Experience with Collegiate National Team
By Les Johns
“It’s really fun and thrilling to represent our country and also be able to share the experience with a couple of my teammates.”

In three innings of work on the mound during the USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team training camp last week, Wake Forest starter Rhett Lowder was dominant, striking out six against zero walks and no earned runs. Lowder was touching mid-90s on his fastball and fooled some of the best hitters in college baseball with unhittable offspeed pitches.

“It's super exciting just meeting all these guys who we’ve played against all year,” Lowder said about the USA Baseball experience. “It’s really fun and thrilling to represent our country and also be able to share the experience with a couple of my teammates.”

Lowder and Wake Forest teammate Teddy McGraw both received good news on Tuesday afternoon as USA Baseball announced the pair of Demon Deacon arms landed on the 26-man roster that will travel to the Netherlands on Wednesday and begin Honkbalweek Haarlem on Saturday, July 9.

The stars and stripes open against Japan at 8 a.m. ET and follow with games against Italy, Cuba, the Netherlands and Curacao to complete group play. All games will be streamed online via HonkbalSoftbal.tv.

Lowder and McGraw join Johnny Aiello (2017), Kyle Sleeth (2002), Bret Wagner (1993), Jake Austin (1989) and Erik Hansen (1985) as Wake Forest representatives on the national team.

Additionally, Wake Forest is one of five schools in the nation with multiple players on this year's squad (Florida State, LSU, Ole Miss and Vanderbilt).

Lowder, who became the first Demon Deacon ever to be named ACC Pitcher of the Year on May 23, has gone on to become the third Unanimous All-American in Wake Forest history, joining Will Craig (2015-16) and Stuart Fairchild (2017) in grabbing all six All-America honors in the same season.

“It was awesome and very exciting,” Lowder said. “But that’s just a testament to what we did as a team this year. I couldn’t have done it without the guys. I definitely view it as a team award.”

Lowder finished the season with an 11-3 record and a 3.08 ERA, leading the ACC in wins while coming in third in the conference in ERA and strikeouts (105).

It’s unlikely Lowder will pitch on the Cape this summer, as he plans on resting his arm after his time with USA Baseball is concluded.

“I just want to enjoy my time here and soak in everything, however long that might be,” he said. “I’m going to enjoy this time and compete with the guys. I’ve thrown a lot this year, so I don’t know if there will be more competition after this. I want to get stronger and then get back to meet the guys who are coming in for summer school.

“When I’m done here, it will be a down period. I don’t know for sure. I’m just going to enjoy my time and see where it takes me.”

While Lowder has been collecting awards and competing in USA Baseball, Wake Forest Baseball has been adding to its 2023 roster with some key position players and added depth on the mound.

“It’s awesome and it makes me that much more excited to get back to campus and meet my new teammates,” Lowder said.

The Demon Deacons put together an incredible 21-game improvement this season versus the 2021 campaign, and earned a spot in the Maryland Regional. A late-season sweep at NC State seemed to seal the inclusion of Wake Forest into the NCAA Tournament field, and then a win over highly-ranked Miami in the ACC Tournament likely improved its seeding. With a young nucleus returning for 2023, the Deacs believe they can take the next step.

“It’s a long season,” Lowder said. “We played well with our backs against the wall. We swept the series at NC State and then beat a really good Miami team.

“Obviously, we didn’t play the way we wanted to in the regional. But it was a good experience with a lot of young guys. We’ll be ready next year, hopefully at our place. It was a good learning experience."

Thanks for reading today's edition of the Deacon Sports Xtra! Like what you're reading? Have a story idea or a suggestion for future content you'd like to see? Let us know by emailing Associate AD for Athletic Communications William Pantages.

espn (kiley mcdaniel) has adler as the 221st best prospect in the draft. no other deacs listed.

Any commits on there?

Gary Gill-Hill (who I've never heard of but has a sweet name) is 177th, Marek Houston is 186th. Isaiah Lowe (who I thought was our biggest commit) is not on the list.

ETA: Apparently Gill-Hill just committed last week (after decommitting from Farleigh Dickinson the previous week)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfcZei9p1--/?hl=en

Last edited:
I mean objectively with hartle really coming on at the end of the year our rotation next year looks sick for the weekend.

Next year should be put up or shut up (rather shut down) for Walter. Everything is in place for hosting regionals and super regionals. To me the absolute minimum should be a national seed with potential to host a SR. Anything else should result in a firing.

I tend to think John Currie is watching the situation very closely especially considering the amount of money that has been poured into the baseball program.

Team USA plays Curacao tomorrow in the semis. Would think Lowder may start that game.

Wake guy.

Our dudes looks to be doing well this summer.
Any draft news from anyone?

Draft is this Sunday through Tuesday.

Draft eligible sophomore pitcher Eric Adler is the highest rated draft-eligible WF player on the MLB draft board; he is projected to go in the first 8 rounds. Other Deacs who are likely to get picked are Seniors C Brendan Tinsman and SS Michael Turconi. Draft eligible soph IF/OF Pierce Bennett may also get taken.

Among WF HS commitments, the biggest threat to get taken are:

RHP Gary Gill Hill (yes, that is his name) from NJ:

5c0e6702-8d82-4736-ad7e-b8542ce65a99-pc041122_jfk_step_base_3.jpg

RHP/IF/OF Isiah Lowe from Shelby NC:

PG-071721-0410-MJ.jpg

Last edited:
Back