• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

Dang that bonus is low.

College seniors have zero bargaining leverage with an MLB team. Tinsman is not going back to school for a 5th year, when a key baseball metric is age. Tinsman either signs for what the Angels offer or they sign an undrafted free agent to take his spot (with the MLB draft reduced to 20 rounds, there are a ton of those).

White Sox sign 6th round draft pick Eric Adler for $200K -- $60K under slot.

Rays have yet to sign 5 of their top 10 draft picks, but all of those that have signed did so for under slot. They haven't signed Gary Gill Hill (6th round) yet, but looking like they will have extra money available. Rays always a step ahead.

Padres went $1 million over slot to sign their 2nd pick. They still have a ton of picks to sign that were drafted higher than Isaiah Lowe (11th round), guessing that Lowe's deal will come down right to the deadline, and will depend on what funds are available.

Last edited:
Jays sign Michael Turconi for $75K.

Gary Gill Hill and Isaiah Lowe remain unsigned. Deadline is Sunday.

Also, it doesn't look like either of the draft/UFA eligible Deacs third year sophs will sign as most teams are over their organizational roster limits. So, the following Deacs are likely to return:
'
- OF Adam Cecere
- IF/OF Pierce Bennett

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/draft/2022/san-diego-padres/

Looks like Hill has signed for $600k on a slot of $250k, and Lowe signed for $400k on a slot of $125k

Good for those guys for leveraging their WF scholarships into nice deals. Good luck to them.

Rays also signed their first round pick, a Florida commit, from East Forsyth. Big kid with a big swing.

Rays have one unsigned HS draftee at the moment, a LHP who they picked in the 17th round and who has signed with Coastal.

Last edited:
Cape league finals game 1

Keener just came in for the top of the 7th with a 1-0 lead.

Throwing hard (not near the scouts, so I can’t see the gun)

2 Ground outs
BB
Hit

0 runs

How does a "volunteer" assistant coach feed himself and his family?

The Pirates gave Will Craig a $2.2 million signing bonus. Last year Craig was paid $300k to play in Korea

Will is listed as a "student assistant coach." In that status, I would expect Wake to pay some form of student stipend, which many grad students get.

I was referring to Matt Wessinger, who is listed as " volunteer assistant coach." The "volunteer" part of his title makes it sound like he isn't getting paid.

How does a "volunteer" assistant coach feed himself and his family?

I can't remember specifics, but a lot of their revenue comes from running Wake's camps. Volunteer assistants in the major conferences make at least a somewhat livable wage -- hence why Joey Hammond was Wake's for so long.

Here's an article from May that talks about college coaches making appeal to NCAA to approve that as an officially paid position (and have them be able to recruit).

Will is listed as a "student assistant coach." In that status, I would expect Wake to pay some form of student stipend, which many grad students get.

I was referring to Matt Wessinger, who is listed as " volunteer assistant coach." The "volunteer" part of his title makes it sound like he isn't getting paid.

My brother was a volunteer assistant strength and conditioning coach. Pretty sure my parents footed the bill treating it as an unpaid internship.

For those right out of college, making the connections and building a resume with a Power V program in any sport is huge. Also, agree with the camp angle; lots additional income can be generated through camps and individual coaching of kids with rich parents. Johnny is struggling with Little League, lots of moms and dads willing to pay for a pack of one hour lessons with a former high level player who is now affiliated with a D-1 Program.

Last edited:
Deacs announce 2023 schedule

Similar to last year:

• 12 of the first 13 at home
  • Home ACC series: ND, Miami, State, BC, VT
  • Away ACC series: Duke, Clemson, L'ville, Pitt, FSU
  • WF misses UNC (so stupid) and UVA
  • Home and away games against: Coastal, UNCW (WF hasn't played the Seahawks in a while), UNCG, Liberty, High Point, Elon, App
  • Deacs host a round robin series against Youngstown State and Illinois to open the season (February 17-19)

Will the ACC keep divisions in baseball (and men's soccer) after this season?

As far as I can tell, the ACC currently has divisions in football, baseball (ND replaces Cuse in the Atlantic) and men's soccer (ND replaces GT or Miami in the Coastal; FSU also does not play)

I don't see other divisions currently, which is probably because for other sports, schools would have to flip divisions to balance them out - but ND is in different divisions for soccer and baseball

There is no real reason to keep divisions, and if you do away with divisions, WF can play UNC more often, which would make sense...

Brown University will be the first D1 school with a woman on their baseball roster as Olivia Pichardo has made the roster.

You may ask: That's a nice story, but why post it on the WF Baseball thread?

Brown's coach Grant Achillies played for Diamond Deacs for 4 years (2002-6), graduated from WF and was a grad assistant at WF.

Deacs announce 2023 schedule

Similar to last year:

• 12 of the first 13 at home
  • Home ACC series: ND, Miami, State, BC, VT
  • Away ACC series: Duke, Clemson, L'ville, Pitt, FSU
  • WF misses UNC (so stupid) and UVA
  • Home and away games against: Coastal, UNCW (WF hasn't played the Seahawks in a while), UNCG, Liberty, High Point, Elon, App
  • Deacs host a round robin series against Youngstown State and Illinois to open the season (February 17-19)
I just noticed on that first weekend, we have an 830 am game against Youngstown State. There's a damn good chance that game is in the low 30s for temperature at that time of day - not a fun baseball experience at all.

Back