• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shame on Deacon fans

Just need to get 8-10K fans come January and I'll be happy. I've been to every game this season other than last night due to family event, and it's been disappointing seeing the lack of fans. That said, as Dixie pointed out, I think this is a combination of lack of recent success, couple with folks still uncomfortable in indoor setting.

A lot of people still aren’t comfortable in large indoor gatherings. Attendance is down everywhere.

I wonder if this affects game threads as well.

In general there are a lot of people not paying attention.

Forbes and Co. have earned asses in the seats. This team is fun to watch. They play smart, hard and together. This is truely a good basketball team with one hell of a coach. Shame on fans who aren’t spending money to fill the seats in the Joel. They deserve a ruckus crowd. Give it to them and get your ass to the Joel!

I agree that it’s been really bad. The thing that frustrates me the most is the amount of season ticket seats that are empty night in and night out so far. With that said, attendance is down across indoor sports. Even the Knicks have had large pockets of empty seats in the Garden this year due to the lower level of tourism. Winning against good teams will help but I also think we’re yelling at fans that don’t really exist right now. I don’t know how large our basketball fanbase is at the moment and with other factors like bad opposition, mask mandates, and covid concerns it makes logical sense that crowds are down. With all that said, if we play well in Florida there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t have a crowd of over 6,500 in for the Northwestern game.

A lot of people still aren’t comfortable in large indoor gatherings. Attendance is down everywhere.

Yup. The ACC is killing its popularity with its own fanbases by embracing the one and done culture. Forbes obviously had to clean house last offseason to make us competitive but going forward we’ll have less attrition and will have players you can grow attached too over several years. Get on board now if you’re not already because this is going to be a fun ride back to national relevancy.

Once Forbes establishes the program enough to have Wake alumni following along with the team, I’d love to see us play a couple neutral court games in places where we have a large alumni base. Obviously Georgetown has a bigger fanbase but what they do in terms of scheduling MSG games and brining thousands of local fans out is a great way to build the fanbase and connect to non local alumni. If Georgetown can figure that out with their horrendous PR and their 8 years of bad basketball, we can too. Wake playing a game over Christmas break at the Prudential Center in Newark, for example, would provide an opportunity to thousands of Jersey and NYC students and alumni to gather.

I’m not worried about attendance. This team is both good and fun. It will get there.

Sorry, my private jet was in the shop for repairs last night and I don't like owing my fellow millionaires any favors.

I’m happy the Deacs are doing better but ain’t nobody got time for the glorified AAU circuit that is today’s college basketball. Half of these guys will be gone by next Christmas.

This is me 100%. Just saw on Sportscenter that #! Gonzaga and #2 UCLA played last night. Granted it's very early in the season and it's not like UCLA/Lew Alcindor and Houston/Elvin Hayes squaring off, but my level and apparently the sports world's in general give-a-shit won't approach that of a random SEC football rivalry game this weekend.
College basketball ain't dead, but it's pretty much in sleep-mode until March thanks to early player exits and loss of regional conference play.
But hey, go Deacs!

Last nights game was the first that was on real tv right? Not ESPN+++ or whatever multi tiered subscription package that few get. That’s affected my watching.

Plus its the early season games that, if they go as planned, should not be close. And if they are close, we’re obviously playing so poorly that I’d hate to watch anyway.

Ron Wellman beat any interest in basketball out of me years ago.

I think interest in regular season college basketball (especially non-conference) has rapidly declined everywhere the last few years. There are simply better ways to spend your time than to watch something with such little stakes.

i avoid the games so i can get lectured to by message board dickheads

Last edited:
Ron Wellman beat any interest in basketball out of me years ago.

Ron is gone. I know Wake fans like to be pessimistic sometimes but look on the bright side and be excited. If you cared back then you can care again, and in due time you will. I recommend starting now so you can enjoy the whole ride.

i avoid the games to i can get lectured to by message board dickheads

It's all in good faith. Sometimes the criticism isn't worded or communicated well but all we really want is to create an atmosphere around the program that so many of you cherished a decade ago. As a student I really didn't even know Wake Forest existed during the Skip and Dino years, but as a huge college basketball fan who has become a huge fan of this team, I share in that hope that we can get the Joel rocking again. Don't take it personally when people call out armchair fans, just understand that we all want the same thing and by taking the initiative of going to games we can make that happen.

Buy the stock while you can. Don't miss the boat!

Don't be a bad fan like Diggler!

Do the facepainters realize that almost no one posting here actually lives in or near Winston?

Forbes does not only have a team to rebuild, but a fanbase. Give it time. The team has made big strides. That was the more important step one. Step two will come naturally. That is the casual community fan who was run off years ago will be back in time. In Forbes I trust.

Tuesday night before a holiday, definitely should make the hours upon hours drive…. Unless you are a bad fan! Shame!

support-team.gif

Back