• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shame on Deacon fans

Happy Thanksgiving Mister Ross!!!! The entire "WFU basketball is back" hype machine because of 5 wins against the sisters of poor is very annoying and tone deaf. A few folks on twitter are the worst offenders.

Yeah how dare some people be excited about their team after a decade of absolute suckitude.

Happy Thanksgiving Mister Ross!!!! The entire "WFU basketball is back" hype machine because of 5 wins against the sisters of poor is very annoying and tone deaf. A few folks on twitter are the worst offenders.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Forbes is a jolly, loveable fella. He deserves our support. By support I mean having a proper home venue. We don't. We should change that and support the guy.

Posting charming things on twitter doesn't help. It only festers the disaster that is our basketball situation which we caused. Folks on here actually think in the 1998-2011 run was 13 years of fun. We had way too many empty seats then as well. Our program produced 1 ACC semifinal appearance and 1 sweet 16 during that era. In short, we completely sucked. Those on here praising those years as a beacon that all is ok well with the infrastructure of Wake Forest basketball are perpetuating the fraud.

The shame isn't on the tangential Wake hoops fans from not attending any games yet. The shame is on the significant Wake hoops fans who built and then tolerated a 15K seat debacle for our home venue. The shame is squarely on us. We are the ones who screwed up and keep screwing up.

Jolly Steve Forbes deserves better. We should fix it.

I coach in a gym that seats about 850, Dr.

We have some open dates that we can accommodate Wake games if you can talk the AD into a venue switch. We even have a concession stand on the way into the gym.

Ok I’ll bite. Remind us long sufferers and educate the newbies what you see as a feasible option for your proposal.

Hey I think refurbishing the joel and lowering the seating capacity is a good idea. This fantasy on campus arena is never going to happen for a multitude of reasons.

The joel is less than a mile from the edge of campus and from a logistics standpoint it makes perfect sense to have our sporting complexes all beside each other where they can share parking.

The access from the highway is while not perfect a hell of a lot easier than any sort of on campus idea.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong w/ Wake basketball being hyped on twitter. So far I have loved watching this team both in person and via streaming services. The wrong is in fan-shaming after this incredibly small sample size.

Can someone provide an example or two of any university spending significant $ to make their arena smaller?

Forbes is a jolly, loveable fella. He deserves our support. By support I mean having a proper home venue. We don't. We should change that and support the guy.

Posting charming things on twitter doesn't help. It only festers the disaster that is our basketball situation which we caused. Folks on here actually think in the 1998-2011 run was 13 years of fun. We had way too many empty seats then as well. Our program produced 1 ACC semifinal appearance and 1 sweet 16 during that era. In short, we completely sucked. Those on here praising those years as a beacon that all is ok well with the infrastructure of Wake Forest basketball are perpetuating the fraud.

The shame isn't on the tangential Wake hoops fans from not attending any games yet. The shame is on the significant Wake hoops fans who built and then tolerated a 15K seat debacle for our home venue. The shame is squarely on us. We are the ones who screwed up and keep screwing up.

If completely sucked is referencing the postseason then yes I agree with you. Some of those regular seasons were fun as hell though and the Joel was rocking during many of those "good" years. Too bad we can't get some of our rich donors to donate like Bob has done with the football program and just level the fucking Joel. To me, that should be the next "big" thing with Wake Athletics. Either burn it down, or do a major overhaul to the current setup. It's time.

Maybe we should just blame the damn people that relocated the campus to Winston and didn't provide ample space for an arena......on campus.

Maybe we should just blame the damn people that relocated the campus to Winston and didn't provide ample space for an arena......on campus.

Of course there is much blame there. I don’t know if you’re kidding but I am not. That should have been insisted. A loose association with a civic building across town started this debacle. Though after 60+ years, the cycle should have been broken.

For those who think I’m not rooting for Forbes, you are wrong. I would love to see us catch fire for a flash in pan year or two. Maybe a Tim Duncan would fall in our laps again. That sure was fun.

But the 2020s are over as far as the effort for the alums. We have give an old JUCO tech state Coach with a deck stacked against him. He can win in a flash a la Loyola or Oregon State but he can’t build for the next 40 years. That’s up to us.

We as alums should be how to improve our chances to win from 2030-2060. That’s on us not him. If you are honest with yourself, you know the Joel isn’t the best choice for that. To win long term, we need the whole package. We alums are responsible for the home venue part of the package. We must get that right. That’s not more lipstick on a bloated pig.

That’s our idea home venue. That’s 6kish seats built for college basketball with students down low and our players using the building every day. Gonzaga, Duke & Villanova have given us the small private school playbook. Energy, not oversized civic centers, produce recruits. Recruits win games in March.

In the meantime, we need an East JUCO Tech recruiting jolly guy who pushes the rules and gets kids to sign on for a year before they see our Joel Morgue. And Forbes is that fella. He’s a great choice.

The next choice though is ours. What are we going to leave the next generation of basketball loving alums? Cause the last generation left us a pile of pig shit. Let’s break the decades of losing permanently and start over on our part: the venue.

Happy Turkey Day to all my fellow alums out there.

i blame the lazy students !

Lazy? How are we lazy? Students will attend games if it’s enjoyable. Even with the team playing well the Joel is empty and depressing and fans will actively sush you if you get too excited. If the fanbase shows up the students will be close behind.

I question how much you follow this team. They’re good. We knew that going into the year and we haven’t really learned much so far but take a gander at how the rest of the ACC has done against bad teams and you’ll see several losses and a lot of close games.

Lazy? How are we lazy? Students will attend games if it’s enjoyable. Even with the team playing well the Joel is empty and depressing and fans will actively sush you if you get too excited. If the fanbase shows up the students will be close behind.

Kid we have failed you with our Stadium. Now it’s up to you to one day not have another of many generations of students understandably blame us.

Gather troops. Win the battle for the next generation. Build the next Cameron when your generation is ready. Because having youngsters blame our failures are wounds that cut deep. And the reason they cut so deep is all the complicit alums know the attacks are true.

Perhaps Wake should still be playing g in the Memorial Coliseum. It held 8500 when seats weren't used to hold buckets to catch the drips from the leaky roof.

The Joel was what was possible in the mid 80's given the state of Wake athletics finances, the need to partner with the city and the wants and wishes of both parties.

Back in the day the coliseum rocked. I do remember watching the Rod Griffin deacs and the place was a great home court advantage. Not the best looking venue but it was an advantage for sure. Not sure why we ever played games in Greensboro.

I sat in front of some students for the Kennesaw St game that were giving the the guy with goggles on their team hell as well as the short guy it was hilarious. It got so quiet though the short guy on Kennesaw St heard them and even cracked a chuckle.

While it would be cool to have a smaller arena, it doesn’t make sense to move it to campus and it definitely isn’t anywhere close to our biggest problem when it comes to bball.

Back in the day the coliseum rocked. I do remember watching the Rod Griffin deacs and the place was a great home court advantage. Not the best looking venue but it was an advantage for sure. Not sure why we ever played games in Greensboro.

$$$$$$$$$ 15-20K paying customers in Greensboro vs 8500 in Winston. Even if half were rooting for Wake's opponents.

And the old Coliseum was gone before the Joel was usable.

Because our ‘barn’ was terrible for tv and then we tore it down. And it was right there where the Joel was. No closer to campus.

I hid my keys so long ago I don’t remember where I hid them. 😃

Back