• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shame on Deacon fans

So we build a monorail to the Greensboro coliseum, ______, profit?

At least PH is being honest here.

There is only 1 reason we are not building our own small venue and have not: we have chosen not to invest in our basketball team.

If you want to go to a school that cares about men’s college basketball and is willing to do what it needs to win, Wake Forest is simply not that place. Our alums have other priorities.

God bless Bob McCreary. At least he invests in something. Without him, Wake football would be in the trash heap like the basketball program.

Where would it go? What would we do with the Joel that we now own? Serious questions not trolling.

Where would it go? What would we do with the Joel that we now own? Serious questions not trolling.

There’s room to build a 9k seat arena in the parking lot of the Joel. Shift parking to the football side and continue to play on LJVM while it’s being built, then tear down the Joel.

That certainly makes the most sense if you go the new arena route. Not on campus but close and utilizes the existing site with plenty of parking for both bball and football. Now all we need is that elusive monorail and commence key hiding!

Sign me up for the donaldross SWAG Shop.

DR, I know that you want an on campus, small arena. But the Joel is very serviceable. We own it now and can do with it what we want. We have already upgraded the locker rooms. More will come. I agree with others, taking some seats out would be just fine and make it a smaller more intimate venue. I think the Joel is a great place to see a game. I could see us taking out some seat and installing more luxury suites above the ones we have now. Corporate people will eat that stuff up. The small arena model doesn't fit into today's basketball model.

Come on guys, this is so easy. Just need $125 to $150 million to find and buy land and finance construction. Hopefully dr can stroke the check this afternoon and we can get started.

Well no but the State Farm renovation cost $200 M. That shit ain’t happening

Which is why the one at Reynolds is more reasonable. Raise the floor to bring the court closer to the ceiling. Cut off a huge part of the bowl and convert to offices, etc. Leave about 7k actual seats.

Come on guys, this is so easy. Just need $125 to $150 million to find and buy land and finance construction. Hopefully dr can stroke the check this afternoon and we can get started.

I personally like the idea of just building the new arena right beside the Joel, and when it's ready, tear the current one down.

DR, I know that you want an on campus, small arena. But the Joel is very serviceable. We own it now and can do with it what we want. We have already upgraded the locker rooms. More will come. I agree with others, taking some seats out would be just fine and make it a smaller more intimate venue. I think the Joel is a great place to see a game. I could see us taking out some seat and installing more luxury suites above the ones we have now. Corporate people will eat that stuff up. The small arena model doesn't fit into today's basketball model.

A game recently my wife and I looked at the boxes to see how many were being used. Maybe 2-3, and they didn't seem to have any type of food or beverage service going on.

Don't think adding more of those is going to change anything.

A game recently my wife and I looked at the boxes to see how many were being used. Maybe 2-3, and they didn't seem to have any type of food or beverage service going on.

Don't think adding more of those is going to change anything.

Good time to repeat that even though Wake Forest bought it, the the Joel is still a multifunction civic auditorium, and I’m fairly certain that Wake is obligated to keep it open and available for events. For that reason I don’t think it’s ever going to be truly renovated to suit our basketball program - not when it hosts rodeos, monster truck shows, concerts, etc.

There is nothing wrong w/ Wake basketball being hyped on twitter. So far I have loved watching this team both in person and via streaming services. The wrong is in fan-shaming after this incredibly small sample size.

Can someone provide an example or two of any university spending significant $ to make their arena smaller?

I think GT did it. They shrunk Alexander Coliseum by about 600 seats during their reno about a decade ago.

Back