• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Through 5 games, Minutes Projections vs. Minutes Reality

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
Through 5 cupcake games, Forbes has established a steady rotation of Williamson, Williams, Mucius, LaRavia, and Walton starting with Whitt, Hildreth, and Sy playing plenty of minutes off the bench. Once healthy, Marsh has come into the game in early garbage time and McCray and Taylor have followed.

Here are the average minutes for the rotation players who have played in all 5 games. I've rounded up to account for some of the walk-on minutes.

PG Williamson - 31
SG Williams - 28
SF Mucius - 20
PF LaRavia - 31
C Walton - 18

PG Whitt - 18
SG/SF Hildreth - 22
PF/C Sy - 18

That totals 186 minutes.

The WCU game was the only game in which only the main rotation played. Williams played all 40 minutes. Williamson (35), LaRavia (33), and Hildreth (26) played above average minutes. Mucius (19), Walton (17), and Sy (20) played close to average and Whitt (10) played far fewer minutes.

I think that's pretty close to what we'll get in a competitive game against a P5 opponent, except maybe Marsh gets a few minutes.

I'll leave it to everybody to compare their minutes projections with what we see so far.
https://www.ogboards.com/forums/sho...avia-Taylor-Walton-Monsanto-Williams-Sy-Marsh

Feels about right though Sy might start grabbing minutes from Mucius

Feels about right though Sy might start grabbing minutes from Mucius

As long as Mucius is hitting threes, (4-7 vs KSU) and playing good D he will get minutes. Mucius is playing like he has taken the effort on D to heart. His outside shot threat helps keep the lane open for drives.

Thought Whitt would play himself into more minutes.

Williams’ average is skewed by missing basically all of the first half last game. He’ll average more than 30.

I really like Williamson, Cam, Williams on the court together. I expect we’ll see that lineup more often as the season progresses.

Thought Whitt would play himself into more minutes.

Me too but I think Williams being significantly better than expected is eating into his minutes. Hope he’s really taking the opportunity to compete hard and get better in practice though because he figures to be a significant piece over the next couple years.

Williams and Hildreth are better ballhandlers than we had last year. Whitt still leads the team in assists per 40 minutes. He has two fewer assists than Williams in 50 fewer minutes.

Last edited:
Williams and. And Hildreth are better ballhandlers than we had last year. Whitt still leads the team in assists per 40 minutes. He has two fewer assists than Williams in 50 fewer minutes.

Williams biggest surprise to me has been his thre point shooting. He came to Wake with a reputation as a drive and dunk guy. He apparently got the message that he needed to improve his outside shooting. It isn't great, but it is at least credible. Opponents can no longer just play him for the drive. If the outside shots keep falling, he is going to be a big problem for opposing defenses.

Williams shot the 3 well in JUCO. It’s not an anomaly.

Yeah it makes even more sense when you hear his description of what his situation at Oklahoma was like. Basically a recipe for destroying a 3 point percentage, and confidence in general.

Can you post it?

You can still post the link. I’m a member.

Good stuff. I didn’t realize Williamson won a JUCO national championship.

Forbes can get around Wake’s JUCO rules by recruiting accomplished JUCO players who transferred into bad D1 situations.

Good stuff. I didn’t realize Williamson won a JUCO national championship.

Forbes can get around Wake’s JUCO rules by recruiting accomplished JUCO players who transferred into bad D1 situations.

That way, and really the only way to get around Wake's current idiotic elitist policy toward JuCo credits is the grad transfer route. Williams fits that. 2 years JuCo, 2 years and bachelor's degree from OU. Last year of eligibility as a grad student at Wake.

That set of circumstances won't happen often. Williams current year of eligibility is only because of Covd. Otherwise his college career would have ended with him rotting on the bench at OU.

It’s not that rare. Players get injury redshirts, same as any grad transfer.

Willams, Williamson and Laravia will see 30 minutes or more. Walton and Sy will share center minutes. Mucius, Whitt and Hildreth will split the remaining 70 minutes. Whitt and Mucius minutes will depend on their offensive contributions.

Hildreth has the potential for 30 minutes. His defense is consistent. He has taken a secondary role on offense yet is efficient enough to hit double figures in four of five games. His passing and rebounding are timely. He supplies the little things a winning team needs for success without fanfare. If he can continue to perform against high major competition his minutes will increase.

Marsh will work his way into the rotation as his performance dictates.

Marsh probably lost some conditioning when he was out with the concussion for so long. That will, of necessity, limit his minutes for a while.

Back