Page 61 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11515657585960616263 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1242

Thread: 2021 ACC Championship Thread: WAKE vs. PITT (Dec 4 - 8pm)

  1. #1201
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    There were plenty of screens to Roberson and one each to CBS and Cooley. There were too many screens.
    And they generally went for 5+ yards (cooleys was for 8?) so why too many when they are bringing the house and we good positive yards each time???

  2. #1202
    Quote Originally Posted by saltydeac View Post
    At least one when Sam had big overthrow to Chapman that was an INT.
    Fucking overthrows and bad reads all night. The only throw Sam could complete last night were those 5 yard flat routes on 3rd & 2.
    Draxx them sklounst

  3. #1203
    Quote Originally Posted by DCDeac View Post
    A "blue print" to beat the Deacs is overstating it imho. That blue print starts with having a defensive line that can dominate us and shut down our running game and rush Sam on every throw. Only Clemson and Pitt had that. Sure, faking injuries to slow us down can help, but it's not some universal plan to beating us.

    Light upgrades on defense and the O-line would put us back with a great shot to repeat next year in the Atlantic. Down 3 in the 3rd quarter is not some mandate to blow everything up.
    Much more than “light” upgrades are needed for D as we got lit up way too often and too many games where we can’t tackle and make every RB look Heisman worthy. We have to at least figure out how to vastly improve our run D. Elko did a great job of that and makes opposing Os more one dimensional. Much like Pitt to us as well as blowing up our mesh. And yes there is a blue print for great teams and if Dave aspires for us to be great there needs to be adjustments or fixes unless we are just happy to be top 25 and not having any big Ws.

  4. #1204
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    66,408
    I actually thought our defense was excellent last night. Gave up a couple explosives in the first quarter, but we held them 4/14 on 3rd down.

  5. #1205
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    I actually thought our defense was excellent last night. Gave up a couple explosives in the first quarter, but we held them 4/14 on 3rd down.
    The defense *was* excellent last night, and kept us in the game far longer that we deserved. It was 24-21 until the end of the 3rd when Sam threw 3 straight picks. We forced Pitt to punt from the freaking 38 yard line! We held Pitt scoreless on 11 possessions.
    Draxx them sklounst

  6. #1206
    Difficult end to a great season, Deacs. Hold your heads up high.

    The fake slide was annoying. If you initiate a slide, that needs to be a dead ball. Faking the slide should be a dead ball + 15 unsportsmanlike. Pickett exposed a weak spot in the rules. I guess you can't blame him for it; that's on the league.

    On that subject, if the coaches/ADs haven't had enough of the faking injuries, hopefully the TV people will step in and force the leagues to fix it. Nobody wants to discourage people who are genuinely hurt, but people who are genuinely hurt don't need to keep playing. If you stop the game, you need to be ineligible to return until no sooner than the next series. Something has to give here.

    Midway through the first half, I thought I saw Sam's head hit the turf in a scary way. Somebody pancaked him and it went straight back and popped off the ground. I hope that wasn't a contributing factor but when I saw it in real-time and on replay it looked worrisome. I hope he's okay.

    I almost forgot to say that the defense delivered. 4 of 14 on third down is winning football when you don't throw 4 picks.

  7. #1207
    Older than Dirt WFU71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The 'Noke
    Posts
    4,463
    Quote Originally Posted by WokeandBroke View Post
    Difficult end to a great season, Deacs. Hold your heads up high.

    The fake slide was annoying. If you initiate a slide, that needs to be a dead ball. Faking the slide should be a dead ball + 15 unsportsmanlike. Pickett exposed a weak spot in the rules. I guess you can't blame him for it; that's on the league.

    On that subject, if the coaches/ADs haven't had enough of the faking injuries, hopefully the TV people will step in and force the leagues to fix it. Nobody wants to discourage people who are genuinely hurt, but people who are genuinely hurt don't need to keep playing. If you stop the game, you need to be ineligible to return until no sooner than the next series. Something has to give here.

    Midway through the first half, I thought I saw Sam's head hit the turf in a scary way. Somebody pancaked him and it went straight back and popped off the ground. I hope that wasn't a contributing factor but when I saw it in real-time and on replay it looked worrisome. I hope he's okay.

    I almost forgot to say that the defense delivered. 4 of 14 on third down is winning football when you don't throw 4 picks.
    Fake injuries allow for more TV commercials and more $$$.

  8. #1208
    Quote Originally Posted by WFU71 View Post
    Fake injuries allow for more TV commercials and more $$$.
    I am worried about that.

  9. #1209
    Quote Originally Posted by WokeandBroke View Post
    Difficult end to a great season, Deacs. Hold your heads up high.

    The fake slide was annoying. If you initiate a slide, that needs to be a dead ball. Faking the slide should be a dead ball + 15 unsportsmanlike. Pickett exposed a weak spot in the rules. I guess you can't blame him for it; that's on the league.

    On that subject, if the coaches/ADs haven't had enough of the faking injuries, hopefully the TV people will step in and force the leagues to fix it. Nobody wants to discourage people who are genuinely hurt, but people who are genuinely hurt don't need to keep playing. If you stop the game, you need to be ineligible to return until no sooner than the next series. Something has to give here.
    https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/wake-...144445404.html

  10. #1210
    Steve Lepore
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Greensboro,NC
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by WFU71 View Post
    Fake injuries allow for more TV commercials and more $$$.
    After the first few they weren’t going to the timeout gut, once guy was up play started back up.

  11. #1211
    Quote Originally Posted by piratedeac92 View Post
    I don’t think there will be coaching changes this off-season. I think Hemphill has done a nice job the last couple weeks. Our defense played championship football. And our offense just needs some tweaking. Unless there is a personnel issue between Clawson and a staff member that we done know about, I doubt there will be any changes
    Ou defense played championship football? In 2021??

  12. #1212
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Karma View Post
    The Pitt fans in 228 were vile drunken twats the whole game.

    I'd call the crowd about 60-40 Wake if not slightly more.
    we sat in mostly wake (206) section but the handful of Pitt fans were drunk ass holes as well. Trying to pick fights and yelling at our fans the whole game. Security called up there 3 times for the same jerks. They certainly rival Louisville fans. Expanding to include these jackass schools was a big mistake.

  13. #1213
    Quote Originally Posted by saus21 View Post
    we sat in mostly wake (206) section but the handful of Pitt fans were drunk ass holes as well. Trying to pick fights and yelling at our fans the whole game. Security called up there 3 times for the same jerks. They certainly rival Louisville fans. Expanding to include these jackass schools was a big mistake.
    Again, why in the hell would a Pitt fan want to sit with Wake fans? are they really that stupid or just a bunch of assholes. I'm starting to believe both.

  14. #1214
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakefan77 View Post
    Again, why in the hell would a Pitt fan want to sit with Wake fans? are they really that stupid or just a bunch of assholes. I'm starting to believe both.
    Probably got tickets on resale site. We sat on the Pitt side because we got great seats at half the price.

  15. #1215
    just watched the replay. not sure i agree with the criticism of the offensive playcalling. we tried all sorts of stuff, we just got outplayed and probably a bit unlucky. there were a bunch of deep throes we should have hit and then just some bad play from our RBs that turned us one dimensional. we had a ton of negative yard rushes in particular that really set us back.

  16. #1216
    I posted this on another thread:

    The long mesh we run means Hartman is throwing passes close to the line of scrimmage. The line is edging closer before he throws it. As a result of that and his size he leads the nation in batted passes at the line. It seemed to me like we threw almost no passes Saturday across the middle I assume to avoid batted passes, but it led to cross field passes outside the hashes which are dangerous unless you have a cannon of an arm. We can't throw anything but bombs over the middle and Pitt knew it. This is going to be an ongoing problem with our offense and with Sam if he ends up deciding to come back.

  17. #1217
    We were one of the top passing offenses in the country, would have been really dumb for us to change up our offensive game plan to avoid batted passes. Avoiding 4 interceptions would have been a preferable strategy.
    Draxx them sklounst

  18. #1218
    We actually changed it up the last few games to where we didn't throw anything much over the middle. It had become painfully obvious Sam couldn't get it over the defensive linemen's hands. Once we started doing that we traded batted passes for interceptions. Probably not a good trade, and I agree it was really dumb. Especially since Pitt had already figured that out and knew it was coming. Interceptions here we come.

  19. #1219
    I sat behind the Wake endzone. I've never had that view before, so it was cool to see plays develop from that angle.

    There was a sequence in the third quarter that summed up the entire second half.

    Wake took over on about the 12.

    1st down: Hole opens up between the center and left guard big enough to drive a bus through. After a month and a half of mesh point, Sam pulls the ball and chunks it 40 yards down field. Incomplete pass

    2nd down: No hole opens up. Sam hands the ball to the running back after another long mesh. 1-2 yard gain.

    3rd down: Sack at the 2.

    Rinse and repeat until midnight.

  20. #1220
    Quote Originally Posted by guitardeac View Post
    We actually changed it up the last few games to where we didn't throw anything much over the middle. It had become painfully obvious Sam couldn't get it over the defensive linemen's hands. Once we started doing that we traded batted passes for interceptions. Probably not a good trade, and I agree it was really dumb. Especially since Pitt had already figured that out and knew it was coming. Interceptions here we come.
    I posted this earlier, but we really need taller QB's if we're going to throw passes that close to the line of scrimmage. Sam probably runs the RPO a little better than Jamie did, but with Jamie's size he was able to stand in there and not get swallowed up so easily and deliver the ball.
    boorish ruffian

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •