• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 ACC Championship Thread: WAKE vs. PITT (Dec 4 - 8pm)

Same record. Similar ranking. Elite on one side of the ball (#12 scoring defense, #3 scoring offense). Weak on the other (#76 scoring offense, #91 scoring defense).

Hard to claim one team is significantly better than the other.

Same record. Similar ranking. Elite on one side of the ball (#12 scoring defense, #3 scoring offense). Weak on the other (#76 scoring offense, #91 scoring defense).

Hard to claim one team is significantly better than the other.

I think this team could score on that team enough that freshman Riley and the O couldn’t keep up.

I agree this team would win head to head because it’s a favorable matchup for the 2021 defense. But overall, these are comparable teams. Of course, if this team wins twice and gets to 12-2 with a top 10 ranking, that would give them the edge.

I agree this team would win head to head because it’s a favorable matchup for the 2021 defense. But overall, these are comparable teams. Of course, if this team wins twice and gets to 12-2 with a top 10 ranking, that would give them the edge.

No, I agree they are comparable.

Not our defense

Special teams were better in 2006. We had a burner at KO returner with Marion and a shifty punt returner with Phonz. Phonz was also a threat to block a punt. Placekickers were both great and call them even. Cant remember who punted in 2006 so maybe slight edge to Mora on punting.

Swank kicked and punted.

Special teams were better in 2006. We had a burner at KO returner with Marion and a shifty punt returner with Phonz. Phonz was also a threat to block a punt. Placekickers were both great and call them even. Cant remember who punted in 2006 so maybe slight edge to Mora on punting.

Don’t forget Willie the jet Idellete on Punt and KO returns as well. Don’t think Phonz returned punts until later in his career

Morin is a great returner. The KO return game has changed with the fair catch to the 25 rule so we just don’t get many returns like we did in ‘06.

I started a thread for discussion of past Wake ACC Champs.

Don’t forget Willie the jet Idellete on Punt and KO returns as well. Don’t think Phonz returned punts until later in his career

Willie was great, you are right. Oddly enough, his crackback block in the 2006 championship is probably my favorite football memory.

Morin is a great returner. The KO return game has changed with the fair catch to the 25 rule so we just don’t get many returns like we did in ‘06.

Not sure that is the right take. Clawson likely tells our returners to fair catch since we dont have KO talent like Zonavan Knight or Kevin Marion. If we had an elite speedster, I suspect that our tactic would vary. I am not dissing Morin as he is solid but he is not a likely candidate to take it to the house on KO's.

I disagree. With an elite offense, it makes sense to just take the ball on the 25 unless there's something in the coverage to justify taking it out.

Would actually be a pretty fun matchup. That LB corps against the slow mesh would be fascinating.

My gut (and talking to fellow alums, looking at Twitter, these boards etc ) is saying this will be a great gathering of Wake fans this weekend — maybe similar to the positive surprise in turnout we had at the Orange Bowl. Certainly Charlotte should help. Anyone thinking differently or all bullish on turnout?

My gut (and talking to fellow alums, looking at Twitter, these boards etc ) is saying this will be a great gathering of Wake fans this weekend — maybe similar to the positive surprise in turnout we had at the Orange Bowl. Certainly Charlotte should help. Anyone thinking differently or all bullish on turnout?
I feel it will be a great crowd. Have had alumni who live out of town and don't get to attend home asking me about how to get tickets. We had a good turnout for the game in 06 in Jacksonville and the Belk Bowl a few years ago. This is bigger than that Belk Bowl game; I think we get a good turnout.

I feel it will be a great crowd. Have had alumni who live out of town and don't get to attend home asking me about how to get tickets. We had a good turnout for the game in 06 in Jacksonville and the Belk Bowl a few years ago. This is bigger than that Belk Bowl game; I think we get a good turnout.

Will we have a home field advantage?

Listening to Clawson’s press conference today and he surprisingly drops Pete Lembo’s name. Apparently Lembo helped facilitate Clawson hiring Ruggiero back when he was at Bowling Green.

https://youtu.be/vgYwtwUkZzs

Back