• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 ACC Championship Thread: WAKE vs. PITT (Dec 4 - 8pm)

At least one when Sam had big overthrow to Chapman that was an INT.

Fucking overthrows and bad reads all night. The only throw Sam could complete last night were those 5 yard flat routes on 3rd & 2.

A "blue print" to beat the Deacs is overstating it imho. That blue print starts with having a defensive line that can dominate us and shut down our running game and rush Sam on every throw. Only Clemson and Pitt had that. Sure, faking injuries to slow us down can help, but it's not some universal plan to beating us.

Light upgrades on defense and the O-line would put us back with a great shot to repeat next year in the Atlantic. Down 3 in the 3rd quarter is not some mandate to blow everything up.

Much more than “light” upgrades are needed for D as we got lit up way too often and too many games where we can’t tackle and make every RB look Heisman worthy. We have to at least figure out how to vastly improve our run D. Elko did a great job of that and makes opposing Os more one dimensional. Much like Pitt to us as well as blowing up our mesh. And yes there is a blue print for great teams and if Dave aspires for us to be great there needs to be adjustments or fixes unless we are just happy to be top 25 and not having any big Ws.

I actually thought our defense was excellent last night. Gave up a couple explosives in the first quarter, but we held them 4/14 on 3rd down.

I actually thought our defense was excellent last night. Gave up a couple explosives in the first quarter, but we held them 4/14 on 3rd down.

The defense *was* excellent last night, and kept us in the game far longer that we deserved. It was 24-21 until the end of the 3rd when Sam threw 3 straight picks. We forced Pitt to punt from the freaking 38 yard line! We held Pitt scoreless on 11 possessions.

Difficult end to a great season, Deacs. Hold your heads up high.

The fake slide was annoying. If you initiate a slide, that needs to be a dead ball. Faking the slide should be a dead ball + 15 unsportsmanlike. Pickett exposed a weak spot in the rules. I guess you can't blame him for it; that's on the league.

On that subject, if the coaches/ADs haven't had enough of the faking injuries, hopefully the TV people will step in and force the leagues to fix it. Nobody wants to discourage people who are genuinely hurt, but people who are genuinely hurt don't need to keep playing. If you stop the game, you need to be ineligible to return until no sooner than the next series. Something has to give here.

Midway through the first half, I thought I saw Sam's head hit the turf in a scary way. Somebody pancaked him and it went straight back and popped off the ground. I hope that wasn't a contributing factor but when I saw it in real-time and on replay it looked worrisome. I hope he's okay.

I almost forgot to say that the defense delivered. 4 of 14 on third down is winning football when you don't throw 4 picks.

The fake slide was annoying. If you initiate a slide, that needs to be a dead ball. Faking the slide should be a dead ball + 15 unsportsmanlike. Pickett exposed a weak spot in the rules. I guess you can't blame him for it; that's on the league.

On that subject, if the coaches/ADs haven't had enough of the faking injuries, hopefully the TV people will step in and force the leagues to fix it. Nobody wants to discourage people who are genuinely hurt, but people who are genuinely hurt don't need to keep playing. If you stop the game, you need to be ineligible to return until no sooner than the next series. Something has to give here.

Midway through the first half, I thought I saw Sam's head hit the turf in a scary way. Somebody pancaked him and it went straight back and popped off the ground. I hope that wasn't a contributing factor but when I saw it in real-time and on replay it looked worrisome. I hope he's okay.

I almost forgot to say that the defense delivered. 4 of 14 on third down is winning football when you don't throw 4 picks.

Fake injuries allow for more TV commercials and more $$$.

https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/wake-forest-coach-ncaa-review-144445404.html

I don’t think there will be coaching changes this off-season. I think Hemphill has done a nice job the last couple weeks. Our defense played championship football. And our offense just needs some tweaking. Unless there is a personnel issue between Clawson and a staff member that we done know about, I doubt there will be any changes

Ou defense played championship football? In 2021??

The Pitt fans in 228 were vile drunken twats the whole game.

I'd call the crowd about 60-40 Wake if not slightly more.

we sat in mostly wake (206) section but the handful of Pitt fans were drunk ass holes as well. Trying to pick fights and yelling at our fans the whole game. Security called up there 3 times for the same jerks. They certainly rival Louisville fans. Expanding to include these jackass schools was a big mistake.

we sat in mostly wake (206) section but the handful of Pitt fans were drunk ass holes as well. Trying to pick fights and yelling at our fans the whole game. Security called up there 3 times for the same jerks. They certainly rival Louisville fans. Expanding to include these jackass schools was a big mistake.

Again, why in the hell would a Pitt fan want to sit with Wake fans? are they really that stupid or just a bunch of assholes. I'm starting to believe both.

Again, why in the hell would a Pitt fan want to sit with Wake fans? are they really that stupid or just a bunch of assholes. I'm starting to believe both.

Probably got tickets on resale site. We sat on the Pitt side because we got great seats at half the price.

just watched the replay. not sure i agree with the criticism of the offensive playcalling. we tried all sorts of stuff, we just got outplayed and probably a bit unlucky. there were a bunch of deep throes we should have hit and then just some bad play from our RBs that turned us one dimensional. we had a ton of negative yard rushes in particular that really set us back.

I posted this on another thread:

The long mesh we run means Hartman is throwing passes close to the line of scrimmage. The line is edging closer before he throws it. As a result of that and his size he leads the nation in batted passes at the line. It seemed to me like we threw almost no passes Saturday across the middle I assume to avoid batted passes, but it led to cross field passes outside the hashes which are dangerous unless you have a cannon of an arm. We can't throw anything but bombs over the middle and Pitt knew it. This is going to be an ongoing problem with our offense and with Sam if he ends up deciding to come back.

We were one of the top passing offenses in the country, would have been really dumb for us to change up our offensive game plan to avoid batted passes. Avoiding 4 interceptions would have been a preferable strategy.

We actually changed it up the last few games to where we didn't throw anything much over the middle. It had become painfully obvious Sam couldn't get it over the defensive linemen's hands. Once we started doing that we traded batted passes for interceptions. Probably not a good trade, and I agree it was really dumb. Especially since Pitt had already figured that out and knew it was coming. Interceptions here we come.

I sat behind the Wake endzone. I've never had that view before, so it was cool to see plays develop from that angle.

There was a sequence in the third quarter that summed up the entire second half.

Wake took over on about the 12.

1st down: Hole opens up between the center and left guard big enough to drive a bus through. After a month and a half of mesh point, Sam pulls the ball and chunks it 40 yards down field. Incomplete pass

2nd down: No hole opens up. Sam hands the ball to the running back after another long mesh. 1-2 yard gain.

3rd down: Sack at the 2.

Rinse and repeat until midnight.

We actually changed it up the last few games to where we didn't throw anything much over the middle. It had become painfully obvious Sam couldn't get it over the defensive linemen's hands. Once we started doing that we traded batted passes for interceptions. Probably not a good trade, and I agree it was really dumb. Especially since Pitt had already figured that out and knew it was coming. Interceptions here we come.

I posted this earlier, but we really need taller QB's if we're going to throw passes that close to the line of scrimmage. Sam probably runs the RPO a little better than Jamie did, but with Jamie's size he was able to stand in there and not get swallowed up so easily and deliver the ball.

That’s an interesting observation about avoiding the over-the-middle passes

I hope this game didn’t save Hemphill’s job

Back