• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 ACC Championship Thread: WAKE vs. PITT (Dec 4 - 8pm)

Just got back to hotel. My observation is that teams started figuring our offense out in November. We have to change things up. And enough with the chucking the damn ball down the field. Offensive playcalling, preparation, blocking, and route running were the problem tonight.

I feel like this is the 4th time in 1.5 seasons that I've watched this game - i.e. going from beating/competing with a good team in a big game to losing our collective shit to the tune of 4 picks and 30 consecutive points conceded. I'd rather that not be Our Thing.

I feel like this is the 4th time in 1.5 seasons that I've watched this game - i.e. going from beating/competing with a good team in a big game to losing our collective shit to the tune of 4 picks and 30 consecutive points conceded. I'd rather that not be Our Thing.

In the same building too

Bad game but a good season. If we start losing ACC championship games on a regular basis, then I'll be mad.

Just got back to hotel. My observation is that teams started figuring our offense out in November. We have to change things up. And enough with the chucking the damn ball down the field. Offensive playcalling, preparation, blocking, and route running were the problem tonight.

Don't know if you can really say that. UNC didn't beat us because they figured out our offense, neither did Clemson either really. To their credit, Pitt by far did the best job of defending us of any one this year.

Really expected Wake to be the team having scored 45 pts.

Bizarro world after the 1st Q.

Reality. After being up 21-14, we were outscored 31-0. One team made adjustments and the other not so much.

Feel for the team but I hope someone keeps a close eye on Sam for a while after this game. He looked absolutely dejected. As much as we all wanted to win and as much as we deserved to be here, it's still just a game. Shake it off.

This.

Yep. Our offense has been in decline since the end of the UNC game. Any team good enough to capitalize on it absolutely did.

The offense lacks dimensions. No throwing short passes in the middle of the field. The deep balls are all or nothing. Running game is bland. I think we only had one run for more than 10 yards. There was no Plan B after they shut down what little we did.

Hartman just isn’t a guy who can put the whole team on his shoulders against a good opponent and he didn’t have much help from his teammates or Ruggiero.

Clawson: "Not our night."

Recruiting tomorrow on the road.

Will be interesting to see if Dave makes some moves off-season. Michigan and Baylor overhauled key coaching positions and things seem to have worked out quite well for them.

We have been running the same offense for a few years now. It's only new to the national media, which hasn't been paying attention. We lost at the line of scrimmage, where most games are lost. It's especially tough for us because our little "mesh point" cute offense that we run is thrown all to shit if a D line is disruptive at the line of scrimmage. Like Clemson's, for example. Tonight, Pitt was disruptive enough, but we also killed ourselves trying to force long plays. Pitt scored their first 14 points in about 4 seconds in that first quarter, whereas we took our time, took what they gave us, burnt some clock, and scored our 14. We quit doing that, to our detriment. O-line was getting pushed around, but the plays were still there. Then Hartman just went all to shit.

Last edited:
Well said, ELC.

We’ve got solid running backs but we don’t ask much of them in the running game.

Really disappointing game to watch after the first quarter. Pretty fun season so far and getting 10 wins and making it to the ACC championship game was a nice milestone for Clawson and this team.

Hope Hartman and the players bounce back for the bowl game.

Yep. Our offense has been in decline since the end of the UNC game. Any team good enough to capitalize on it absolutely did.

The offense lacks dimensions. No throwing short passes in the middle of the field. The deep balls are all or nothing. Running game is bland. I think we only had one run for more than 10 yards. There was no Plan B after they shut down what little we did.

Hartman just isn’t a guy who can put the whole team on his shoulders against a good opponent and he didn’t have much help from his teammates or Ruggiero.

As good as Hartman is, his size hurts him in our offense. Many of his throws are so close to the line of scrimmage, he gets swallowed up sometimes. The thing that Jamie Newman had that Sam doesn't is Jamie was big and and could stand in there and still deliver the ball. Sam has to try to escape the pocket or eat the ball when it breaks down.

Back