• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 ACC Championship Thread: WAKE vs. PITT (Dec 4 - 8pm)

Pitts defense may have played well this year, but I don’t believe their defensive line will be comparable to Clemson. Clemson beat us with talent and athleticism. Pitt might have a good scheme and good players, but *they ain’t Clemson*. I’m not worried about them stopping us.

stats provided by apetit match what the eye test tells me: if we pick up that first first down then the hurry-up mesh point offense is really good at getting defenses back on their heels and putting up points

Clawson with a dig on Herbstreit about us only getting 6 tickets to the Championship.

Pitts defense may have played well this year, but I don’t believe their defensive line will be comparable to Clemson. Clemson beat us with talent and athleticism. Pitt might have a good scheme and good players, but *they ain’t Clemson*. I’m not worried about them stopping us.

Feels similar to an NC State. Quality talent on the defensive line but still a big gap to the types of athletes Clemson is recruiting.

to me, on offense it is all about winning on first down. I want second and 7 or less, keeping the playbook open, maintaining balance.

I know we played the long game against NCST, holding the throw to Ellison in reserve until the 4th quarter, but I want some of that to get 4-5 yards plus potentially more if he can make a man miss.

an incompletion or false start on first down is tough and forces us to become one-dimensional.

Pitt is a good team, but folks are going a little overboard here. They're on par with NC State, and they're not some defensive juggernaut. They trailed Duke 19-14 in the 2nd quarter at one point, gave up plenty of points to pretty much every team with an offensive heartbeat. It didn't take our A+ game on either side of the ball to beat NC State, and we won't have to play some kind of perfect flawless game to beat Pitt.

Plus our defense actually held up pretty well against NC State and BC. I'm sure they'll be stoked for an ACC Championship. We've been torching pretty good defenses all year far worse than Pitt has been torching pretty bad defenses. I think it's a coin flip, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 300-something passing yards and 150 rushing yards for Pitt in a loss to us. My guess is it'll come down to nerves and turnovers.

The one thing that worries me is the slant passes against Pitt. Pickett does throw a very accurate ball and has a quick release. Our LBs are slow and our Safety is usually out of position across the middle. If we can contain that, I think it will go a long ways towards a victory.

I also think calling Pitt's rush defense 'elite' isn't fair to teams that actually have an elite rush defense. Clemson's rush defense is elite. Pitt's is good, but so is our O-Line. I think those two are a wash with an edge to our O-Line and I feel about the same way about our D-Line vs. their O-Line.

Their first series on defense will be a kitchen sink blitz. If we prepare for that and know that teams will try to get us off pace after watching Clemson tape, we should burn them for quick slant pass after quick slant pass until they stop doing it. I trust Clawson to orchestrate our best game plan yet.

Wasn't it the Athletic that left us out of their mock conference realignment at the start of the season? Fuck em all. Glad to see coach is keeping notes.

Wasn't it the Athletic that left us out of their mock conference realignment at the start of the season? Fuck em all. Glad to see coach is keeping notes.

Yep. Only one of them, Matt Fortuna, has acknowledged it as far as I've seen. I think he's the one who picked Duke in the 5th round.

Lame to be so far below Michigan State in the CFP when they have an absolutely awful loss to Ohio State. Just utterly destroyed.

Lame to be so far below Michigan State in the CFP when they have an absolutely awful loss to Ohio State. Just utterly destroyed.

8 through 16 are all 10-2 so of course we’re 16

Clawson must have gotten a comedy writer in his extension.

Think about this a moment. His satire was fundamentally accurate. Within the ranks of our fans it will be discussed all the way until the end of the ACCC and possibly afterward. It will lead to louder fan support in game.

He’s put Herbstreit on notice that if he’s going to be a smart aleck while making millions then neither Clawson nor DeacNation are going to kiss his backside. Same goes for cocky Stewart Mandel. And what is their defense to the criticism? They have no defense because there is no defense for the stupidity of so called experts.

I don't necessarily disagree, but Pitt beat Clemson.

I don't necessarily disagree, but Pitt beat Clemson.

That’s where my talent theory comes into play. The gap between Clemson and Pitt/State is small enough for Pitt/State to beat Clemson with experience and coaching. The gap between Pitt/State and Wake is small enough for Wake to beat Pitt/State with experience and coaching. But the gap between Clemson and Wake is too big for Wake to beat Clemson with experience and coaching.

Back