• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Comparing Greatness: 1970 and 2006 ACC Champions

One other thing, we didn’t have 300 pound guys, Win Headley(all American) was about our largest player about 250 or so. The size didn’t increase until Jerry Claiborne landed Maryland job and brought the juice to the league, we were then behind in the race and took 4-5 years to just get big enough to not get run off the field, look at out of conference outcome in 74 I think we played Oklahoma, penn state and Texas on successive weeks and gave up 40-45 a game to maybe a field goal I think that was when people were spray painting road signs, I-40. WFU-0. Glad I was gone by then

This is the reason the 1970 team doesn’t have a chance. The size and speed of the game is too different now. Miles Fox would just throw OGs into Venuto like rag dolls.

One other thing, we didn’t have 300 pound guys, Win Headley(all American) was about our largest player about 250 or so. The size didn’t increase until Jerry Claiborne landed Maryland job and brought the juice to the league, we were then behind in the race and took 4-5 years to just get big enough to not get run off the field, look at out of conference outcome in 74 I think we played Oklahoma, penn state and Texas on successive weeks and gave up 40-45 a game to maybe a field goal I think that was when people were spray painting road signs, I-40. WFU-0. Glad I was gone by then

I'm enjoying this thread and your memories from those teams.

Looking through the media guide, Stoll's teams could run the ball:

1971 vs. Tulsa 94 rushing attempts for 528 yards and 38 first downs in a 51-21 win
same year at NC State 71 rushing attempts for 402 yards (somehow lost that game 21-14)

1970 vs VT 444 rushing yards, 29-9 win
1970 at Duke 78 rushing attempts, 20 first downs via runs, 28-14 win

The Fresh Deacs of 2006 were damn good. They would hit you in the mouth. By the time they played Louisville, which in my opinion was the best team in the country that year, they were toe to toe with those guys and but for a couple of fumbles we win. They looked top tier in that game.

Ramsey was on freshman team, Tracy Loundsberry handled all kicking, Check your rushing totals by year, 70 and 71 still rank near the top. We were a time of possession team with many drives taking 5-7 minutes off the clock, just the nature of the veer, lots of 3-4 yard gains strung together. Had a solid defense but I wouldn’t d say dominant. We had smart players that stayed within their assignments and were able to get stops. Offenses were not near as intricate then

Your right. Memory got a year ahead. My roomie used to shag punts for Chuck.

This is the reason the 1970 team doesn’t have a chance. The size and speed of the game is too different now. Miles Fox would just throw OGs into Venuto like rag dolls.

Not only would he throw them like rag dolls, but if he's throwing them into Venuto, he's also throwing them 9 years into the future.

Venuto wasn't on the 70 team. It was Larry Russell at QB. The offense looked a lot like the Army and Navy offenses that have troubled Wake so much. Although, as noted, the linemen were smaller back in 70.

Larry Russell let Skinner borrow his ACC championship ring for this week back in 2006 - told him to get used to wearing it, and then earn his own in Jax. Pretty cool.

Not only would he throw them like rag dolls, but if he's throwing them into Venuto, he's also throwing them 9 years into the future.

With 250 pound linemen, let’s not rule out the ability to hurl them through the space-time continuum. Especially against Jyles Tucker and the 06 team.

Ed Bradley (LB) would play today. 6-2, 239. He was a reserve on the Steel Curtain defense behind Jack Lambert. He started two seasons for the then expansion Seahawks.

His LB partner, Ed Stetz, was small (6 ft, 200) but still hold WFU records for tackles and solo tackles. In today's Wake D, he would be either Rover or safety.

2006 wins over 2021. Our offense is much better, but our D is actually horrendous. We were stacked on defense that year. Literally every position was better than what we have now. The DL, LBs, safeties. I’d replace every single person on our D now with a 2006 guy. Jyles, Stukes, Jeremy Thompson, Josh, Phonso, Chip, the LBs! Insanely good.

And our O didn’t suck. Riley was solid, but we also had Willie, Micah who is prob better than any rb on our current roster. Kenny Moore, two good TEs. And Swank had a much stronger leg, as good as Sciba is.

The advantage for 2021 Deacs goes to Sam, the WRs and the HC and offensive coaches (big time). If Lobo had been remotely competent, we would have done even better in 2006 than we did.

What often gets over-looked on the 2006 team is that yes- you had Fresh Deacs, Riley, Swank, and Kenny Moore but also had a lot of seniors that year who played their best football that year that often made the difference. on offense- Nate Morton, Willie the Jet, Vallos and Arby Jones. Secondary Defense that year was really anchored by 3 seniors in Ghee, Gattis, and Riley Swanson. Kevin Patterson was other starting corner and Phonz played mostly nickel that year. Don’t forget guys like Pierre Easley, Jamil Smith, Brian Andrews on defense and the already mentioned Jyles Tucker. Much like the COVID super seniors on defense this year - yeah they might not have been the most talented guys out there but were very experienced and made a lot of big plays during year.

2006 wins over 2021. Our offense is much better, but our D is actually horrendous. We were stacked on defense that year. Literally every position was better than what we have now. The DL, LBs, safeties. I’d replace every single person on our D now with a 2006 guy. Jyles, Stukes, Jeremy Thompson, Josh, Phonso, Chip, the LBs! Insanely good.

And our O didn’t suck. Riley was solid, but we also had Willie, Micah who is prob better than any rb on our current roster. Kenny Moore, two good TEs. And Swank had a much stronger leg, as good as Sciba is.

The advantage for 2021 Deacs goes to Sam, the WRs and the HC and offensive coaches (big time). If Lobo had been remotely competent, we would have done even better in 2006 than we did.

Nate Morton was even bigger in the passing game than Willie Idlette. 100 more yards on one more catch.

And honestly, Willie was just so damn fast. Special teams (really not cool typo) standout. We don’t have a threat like that this year at all.

Last edited:

The '06 defense was one of the best in the country that season, no doubt. Just for comparison sake, the '06 Deacs vs. '21 Clemson (which has been an elite D this season).

Clemson '21
15 PPG against
57.1 comp %, 209.3 yrd/g
101 rushing yrd/g, 2.9 YPC
1.3 TO forced/g

Wake '06
15.4 PPG against
57.2 comp %, 216.7 yrd/g
105.8 rushing yrd/g, 3.1 YPC
2.2 TO forced/g

The WF defense from 2006-2008 was stout AF. It is a damn shame we couldn't make another division run with that talent.

Yeah, maybe 2006 had more talent but 2021 gets the dub, that D was very good but they would have been exploited by our O as basically every defense we've faced has been.

And then the 2006 team would be incapable of coming from behind, even if given the benefit of the weird clock-running-after-kickoff rules that were in place for a brief period of time then (and were a huge aid to that team).

No question winning the ACC this year would be a greater accomplishment. The quarterback crop in the league in 2006 was perhaps the worst ever, far from the case this year. And obviously no one near the level that Clemson was at as a program entering this year

Last edited:
2006 was my senior year and a great team, but 2021 is clearly and obviously better, for the reasons MBDeac pointed out.

In conference games in 2006, our margins were -21, -10, 1 (against a dook team that went 0-12), 2, 7, 7, 14, and 30, for an average of +3.75.

In conference games in 2021, our margins were -21, 3, 3, 3, 20, 21, 31, 38, for an average of +12.25.

And that 2021 margin is with us pulling starters or really not trying late in several games. This team is better, and it's not that close.

Yeah, maybe 2006 had more talent but 2001 gets the dub, that D was very good but they would have been exploited by our O as basically every defense we've faced has been.

And then the 2006 team would be incapable of coming from behind, even if given the benefit of the weird clock-running-after-kickoff rules that were in place for a brief period of time then (and were a huge aid to that team).

No question winning the ACC this year would be a greater accomplishment. The quarterback crop in the league in 2006 was perhaps the worst ever, far from the case this year. And obviously no one near the level that Clemson was at as a program entering this year

IMO, that is really all about coaching.

Certainly nice having coaches with a proactive mindset rather than a reactive one.

Grobe always gambled that opposing QBs couldn't lead game-winning drives against us. Most years he was dead wrong. But when you're facing the quarterbacks we faced in '06 (and we were lucky we got Matt Ryan on a bad wheel), you can get away with it

Back