• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Comparing Greatness: 1970 and 2006 ACC Champions

2006 was my senior year and a great team, but 2021 is clearly and obviously better, for the reasons MBDeac pointed out.

In conference games in 2006, our margins were -21, -10, 1 (against a dook team that went 0-12), 2, 7, 7, 14, and 30, for an average of +3.75.

In conference games in 2021, our margins were -21, 3, 3, 3, 20, 21, 31, 38, for an average of +12.25.

And that 2021 margin is with us pulling starters or really not trying late in several games. This team is better, and it's not that close.
Yeah we won a lot of games by the skin of our teeth. We were out gained by over a 100 yd in both the BC and UConn games and won both of them. Many of the games we would score in the mid twenties with the help of a defensive or special teams touchdown or swank hitting long FGs.

This team has clearly been more dominant in winning. Generally teams that have a higher percentage of games of they win handily are the better teams.

Ramsey was on freshman team, Tracy Loundsberry handled all kicking, Check your rushing totals by year, 70 and 71 still rank near the top. We were a time of possession team with many drives taking 5-7 minutes off the clock, just the nature of the veer, lots of 3-4 yard gains strung together. Had a solid defense but I wouldn’t d say dominant. We had smart players that stayed within their assignments and were able to get stops. Offenses were not near as intricate then[QUOTE

The D was headlined by Ed Stetz, Ed Bradley and Larry Causey at LB. Both Ed's played in the NFL.

As I recall we also switched quarterbacks and offenses (and maybe OC's) after the 0-3 start, going to the Houston Veer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Russell push someone over the goal line for a TD against State? I think that is legal now but wasn't then, and State cried long and hard about it.

As I recall we also switched quarterbacks and offenses (and maybe OC's) after the 0-3 start, going to the Houston Veer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Russell push someone over the goal line for a TD against State? I think that is legal now but wasn't then, and State cried long and hard about it.

Stoll brought veer with him in 69,players spent year learning it, had thoughts of going more pro style early in 70 but that didn’t last into much of Nebraska game.Personnel were better for veer. Pushed Hoppy into endzone to beat UNC. State fans pissed because he made a forward lateral to Ken Garrett to score winning touchdown late in game against them(to there eyes) on film he was still behind the line so it was a shovel pass for the score and as always, suck it wolfpack.

There was also a very questionable pass that was probably illegal then that scored a TD.
Some recollections on the 50th anniversary of the 2006 championship.

https://godeacs.com/news/2020/10/20/football-it-was-just-miracle-after-miracle.aspx

I vaguely remember someone coming off the Wake bench to tackle an opposing runner who had a clear path to the endzone. The refs couldn't award a touchdown, just spot the ball and add yardage for the illegal participation and/ or unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. I think this was against State. But it could have been in 71, not 70. Memories get foggy.

That's awesome. Crazy how tough of a schedule you played out of conference that season.
- Tennessee only lost 1 game and beat Air Force (#11) in the Sugar Bowl.
- Nebraska ended he season No. 1 in the AP poll and beat LSU (#5) in the Orange Bowl
- Houston was No. 19 at the end of the season with a record of 8-3

Wonder what the reasoning was behind that. Were big schools paying WF at that point for those games, or did that come into play in CFB till years later.

Payday games for Wake.

Stoll brought veer with him in 69,players spent year learning it, had thoughts of going more pro style early in 70 but that didn’t last into much of Nebraska game.Personnel were better for veer. Pushed Hoppy into endzone to beat UNC. State fans pissed because he made a forward lateral to Ken Garrett to score winning touchdown late in game against them(to there eyes) on film he was still behind the line so it was a shovel pass for the score and as always, suck it wolfpack.

They were fun to watch and all us were happy for some wins and the title. I recall Larry Russell's girl friend was killed in a car accident coming back from the Va Tech game. Not sure if the team bus saw the aftermath of the wreck, but a very emotional occurrence for the team apparently. They were able to channel their emotions, focus and move forward. Thoughts were briefly among fans that Russell might drop out of football. I don't know, but bcobbsdeas would. Very bad thing - good times, strangely connected.

Payday games for Wake.

Back then Wake athletics, except for golf, (thanks to Arnie) were run on a used shoestring budget. There was a financial hangover of sorts from the build of Groves Stadium (1967) so Wake AD was scheduling guarantee away games, and getting paid, much like some G5 teams do now.

The Fresh Deacs of 2006 were damn good. They would hit you in the mouth. By the time they played Louisville, which in my opinion was the best team in the country that year, they were toe to toe with those guys and but for a couple of fumbles we win. They looked top tier in that game.

This. I attended the spring game in March 2006 and looked at the team and went "damn" we are good. We look big, strong and fast. I believe a good portion of the scrimmage that day, Micah Andrews looked like a mini-version of his dad. Damn, too bad he was not available due to injury for the season.

2006 holes: Lobo and playcalling general, running back, once Micah Andrews went down.
2021 holes: safety, defense general.

Quarterback, in that spring game, I think Zac Taylor had left, which left us with only 3 high level starting QB's (Mauk, Skinner and UCF's future starter, Hodges). With Skinner, the QB question got corrected fast. Advantage: 2021 although better depth in 2006.

Running back: without Andrews, this became a nightmare (see: Va Tech and see bowl game), as Moore had to move to RB. Adams was good, Harris was good, but could not stay healthy. Advantage: 2021 I mean I really like Cooley and he has barely played. Healthy Andrews, Adams and Harris is a different story.

WR: the 2021 group is terrific and with Donovan Greene - wow. Advantage 2021, although K. Moore, Idelette, K. Marion, Morton, Marshall W, Brinkman not bad. 2021, even without Greene may be our best WR ever.

Tight end: was good in 2006 with Tereshinski and Selmon. Advantage 2006.

Offensive line: I think I have to give it to 2006, in a close one, with Vallos, Justice, DeGeare all being NFL. Dr. Lou Frazier and Brim not bad. Little depth, but they stayed healthy. Our line this year has been very good.

DE: Tucker and Jeremy Thompson - NFL. Advantage 2006. Although Villian and Bothroyd really got after it at BC. Loved that!

LB: Curry, Abbate, Arnoux backed up by Dom Midgett, who was as good or better than anyone on our current LB roster, Berry and Hunter Haynes. Big advantage 2006. Although healthy Smenda and Masterson do make plays.

CB: Alphonso, Patterson's massive game at FSU, Swanson edge over current group. Swanson defending Calvin Johnson. I will say I like Holmes a lot, and if he and Taylor are healthy, we are good. But it's Alphonso, come on. Advantage 2006. 2006 stayed healthy.

Safety: I am not even sure who is playing safety each game now, versus Chip Vaughn was a backup to Gattis and Ghee. Our current safeties essentially lost us 2 UNC games in a row. I guess losing Trey Rucker really hurt as did Greer not really recovering (?). I think Rucker, Redd and Greer, healthy, would be a solid group, no doubt. Advantage 2006. 2006 better and stayed healthy.

Kicker is close : I think Swank pulled double duty with Plack having just graduated. Advantage 2006. For that one season. I will give Sciba the nod, over Swank for their careers, maybe. This one is close.

Punter: I did not think Swank was a great punter, more necessity. Advantage 2021.

Special teams returns: got to mention this, really like what Morin has done this year on punt returns. However, Kevin Marion was lightning - a legit weapon on kick returns. I think it is odd we have no real breakaway speed on a team that nearly made the CFP, and use KEY STARTERS like Taylor and CBS to return kicks. Marion was one of my favorites. Advantage 2006.

Coaching: got to love what Grobe did, really incredible how he resurrected the program, he was exhausted from trying "all he could think of" to win in 2013. He said he felt they maybe got a little complacent after the 2006-2008 run. He gave Clawson that advice, when Clawson started. More like "do not ever get complacent" and also, depth, depth, depth.

Juxtapose that with Clawson, who nearly went undefeated this year. Lobo vs. Hemphill is advantage 2021, which tells you all you need to know about Lobo. Advantage 2021.

This last part, coaching, is important, whereas I give Grobe an "A" would clearly give Clawson "A+" so the final score?

In a close one:

2021 Deacs 31- 2006 Deacs 27

Last edited:
They were fun to watch and all us were happy for some wins and the title. I recall Larry Russell's girl friend was killed in a car accident coming back from the Va Tech game. Not sure if the team bus saw the aftermath of the wreck, but a very emotional occurrence for the team apparently. They were able to channel their emotions, focus and move forward. Thoughts were briefly among fans that Russell might drop out of football. I don't know, but bcobbsdeas would. Very bad thing - good times, strangely connected.
Accident after Virginia game, strange start to season with 4 straight road games, this being the last, team felt this tragedy but Russell was a tough gritty player, no way was he not continuing, from an earlier post from someone else, the leaving the bench episode occurred at state in 71, offender was none other than Larry Russell, he actually made a nice tackle, just really frustrated with some questionable officiating call earlier in the game as example we had first and goal at State 3 ready to take charge of the game(find rushing total for game above somewhere) and had 3 straight holding penalties called back when it was 15 yards a penalty, no points and had to punt, a real gut punch

Accident after Virginia game, strange start to season with 4 straight road games, this being the last, team felt this tragedy but Russell was a tough gritty player, no way was he not continuing, from an earlier post from someone else, the leaving the bench episode occurred at state in 71, offender was none other than Larry Russell, he actually made a nice tackle, just really frustrated with some questionable officiating call earlier in the game as example we had first and goal at State 3 ready to take charge of the game(find rushing total for game above somewhere) and had 3 straight holding penalties called back when it was 15 yards a penalty, no points and had to punt, a real gut punch

I was at that game in Raleigh. I could have gone to Fall Mountain Weekend with the fraternity but instead chose to attend that game. I sat there in the rain, watched Russell come off the bench and make that tackle (I thought they gave them 6 pts.) and almost got into a fight in the parking lot. All things considered, I wished I would have gone to the mountains.

Back