• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Comparing Greatness: 1970 and 2006 ACC Champions

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
This thread is for historical comparisons between the 2021 ACC Atlantic Champs and our past two ACC Championship teams.

1970 was before my time but was in school with 2006 team..

Little comparison - most notable thing in common was great kicker in Swank and Sciba

That 06 team won a lot of close games with huge defensive plays

Having been on the 70 team I can assure you it was a gritty, get after you bunch, We played 4 teams in the top 20, Nebraska num1, Tennessee num 5, Houston num 12, and South Carolina num 20 at the time we played them. As Coach Stoll always said “ we didn’t win them all but we won the ones that mattered”, a hard nosed bunch and am glad they claim me.

Lots of ways to compare these teams, but I decided to look at box scores and see how the teams did against the schedule they were given. The 2006 team was not good for stress levels, whereas this year's team actually put away teams with much more ease.

In '06, 10 of our 14 games were decided in the 4th quarter (at some point the game was tied or a team led by just 1 score). There were a number of games that you can argue we could have lost with a missed play here or there. Ole Miss, Liberty, FSU, and VT were over when the 4th Q began.

This year we have only had 5 games that were one score difference in the 4th (Syr, Lou, Army, NC State, UNC). All other games were essentially over when the 4th started. Despite the much-discussed issues with this year's defense, more often than not, they have put away teams by halftime or early in the 3rd.

Basically: 2006 - 8/12 games decided in the 4th. 2021 - 5/12 games decided in the 4th.

No idea though how strength of schedule compares. Without much research, the 2006 team struggled to put away teams with losing records.

Having been on the 70 team I can assure you it was a gritty, get after you bunch, We played 4 teams in the top 20, Nebraska num1, Tennessee num 5, Houston num 12, and South Carolina num 20 at the time we played them. As Coach Stoll always said “ we didn’t win them all but we won the ones that mattered”, a hard nosed bunch and am glad they claim me.

That's awesome. Crazy how tough of a schedule you played out of conference that season.
- Tennessee only lost 1 game and beat Air Force (#11) in the Sugar Bowl.
- Nebraska ended he season No. 1 in the AP poll and beat LSU (#5) in the Orange Bowl
- Houston was No. 19 at the end of the season with a record of 8-3

Wonder what the reasoning was behind that. Were big schools paying WF at that point for those games, or did that come into play in CFB till years later.

That's awesome. Crazy how tough of a schedule you played out of conference that season.
- Tennessee only lost 1 game and beat Air Force (#11) in the Sugar Bowl.
- Nebraska ended he season No. 1 in the AP poll and beat LSU (#5) in the Orange Bowl
- Houston was No. 19 at the end of the season with a record of 8-3

Wonder what the reasoning was behind that. Were big schools paying WF at that point for those games, or did that come into play in CFB till years later.
Getting paid, reason for no bowl were two, would have been Bluebonnet in Houston, had just been there , no reason to go back and payout wasn’t enough for AD to agree. Many years until the mid 80’s Wake was way over matched on out of conference schedule to get some money in. Best thing to happen to college football was to go to guarantee payment to visiting team, Home team could keep the mass of their gate, that is how we played Nebraska home on home and Stanford when Grobe was coach

Lots of ways to compare these teams, but I decided to look at box scores and see how the teams did against the schedule they were given. The 2006 team was not good for stress levels, whereas this year's team actually put away teams with much more ease.

In '06, 10 of our 14 games were decided in the 4th quarter (at some point the game was tied or a team led by just 1 score). There were a number of games that you can argue we could have lost with a missed play here or there. Ole Miss, Liberty, FSU, and VT were over when the 4th Q began.

This year we have only had 5 games that were one score difference in the 4th (Syr, Lou, Army, NC State, UNC). All other games were essentially over when the 4th started. Despite the much-discussed issues with this year's defense, more often than not, they have put away teams by halftime or early in the 3rd.

Basically: 2006 - 8/12 games decided in the 4th. 2021 - 5/12 games decided in the 4th.

No idea though how strength of schedule compares. Without much research, the 2006 team struggled to put away teams with losing records.

2006 Wake Forest
- 78th scoring offense, 12th scoring defense
- 30th in SRS (point differential and strength of schedule)
- 46th strength of schedule

2021 Wake Forest (so far)
- 3rd scoring offense, 91st scoring defense
- 10th SRS
- 51st strength of schedule (this will get lower after Pitt/bowl game)

The two teams are so different and football has changed a lot. The '06 team had more rushing yards/game than passing. Skinner had 9 TD passes in 14 games. Sam gets that in 3 games in this era. The '21 team actually has a better rushing YPC (4.1 to 3.9) and YPG (168.2 vs. 149.9) than '06 - we have two good opponents to play so this may change. The passing stats aren't even close, in favor of the '21 team.

Defensively, the '06 team gave up 100 yards less rushing per game (105.8 vs. 209.9) with only a 3.1 YPC. The passing defense is actually quite similar.

'06 team had less penalties on offense and defense per game. '06 and '21 are both top-10 in the nation in TO margin per game.

Would be a fun game to watch in Groves :)

The 70 team was a defense, punt, field position team. The offense was the Veer, a version of the Wishbone. That Wake team held Nebraska to one score in the first half. Put that level of defense with the 21 offense and that would be one difficult to beat team.

ETA: oops got a year ahead with Chuck Ramsey as the punter. He was eligible in 1971.

Tracy Lounsbury kicked the extra point to neat u*NC after "the Drive" to score the final TD. 90 yards in under 3 minutes with no timeouts and almost all on the ground.

Last edited:
'06 team would beat the '21 team. '21 team O is really good, but '06 O was underrated good. Grobe kept RS Skinner under wraps until he needed them. The O showed up vs MD when we needed them. Kicking game between the two is a push. No comparison between the two Ds. That said, our D showed up this past weekend. If they show up in CLT, we win. Go Deacs!

I love Sciba but Swank was so good that day in Raleigh.

Sciba is more consistent than Swank, more consistent than almost any college kicker in history for that matter, but Swank was still very reliable with more range.

Last edited:
The 70 team was a defense, punt, field position team. The offense was the Veer, a version of the Wishbone. That Wake team held Nebraska to one score in the first half. Put that level of defense with the 21 offense and that would be one difficult to beat team.

ETA: Chuck Ramsey was the punter. He could flip the field and Wake could gain 10-15 yards of field position on an exchange of punts following three and out by both teams.
Ramsey was on freshman team, Tracy Loundsberry handled all kicking, Check your rushing totals by year, 70 and 71 still rank near the top. We were a time of possession team with many drives taking 5-7 minutes off the clock, just the nature of the veer, lots of 3-4 yard gains strung together. Had a solid defense but I wouldn’t d say dominant. We had smart players that stayed within their assignments and were able to get stops. Offenses were not near as intricate then

70 QB Larry Russell was 55/109, 671 yards, 4 TDs. Sam Hartman would congratulate him on a good game. That was his season passing stats. The offense was Larry Russell (qb), (the late Dr.) Larry Hopkins (rb), and Ken Garrett (rb).

The D was headlined by Ed Stetz, Ed Bradley and Larry Causey at LB. Both Ed's played in the NFL.

'06 team would beat the '21 team. '21 team O is really good, but '06 O was underrated good. Grobe kept RS Skinner under wraps until he needed them. The O showed up vs MD when we needed them. Kicking game between the two is a push. No comparison between the two Ds. That said, our D showed up this past weekend. If they show up in CLT, we win. Go Deacs!
The offense remained under wrap during the ACC champ and the Orange Bowl. 1 TD/5 FG in 2 games combined.

One other thing, we didn’t have 300 pound guys, Win Headley(all American) was about our largest player about 250 or so. The size didn’t increase until Jerry Claiborne landed Maryland job and brought the juice to the league, we were then behind in the race and took 4-5 years to just get big enough to not get run off the field, look at out of conference outcome in 74 I think we played Oklahoma, penn state and Texas on successive weeks and gave up 40-45 a game to maybe a field goal I think that was when people were spray painting road signs, I-40. WFU-0. Glad I was gone by then

One other thing, we didn’t have 300 pound guys, Win Headley(all American) was about our largest player about 250 or so. The size didn’t increase until Jerry Claiborne landed Maryland job and brought the juice to the league, we were then behind in the race and took 4-5 years to just get big enough to not get run off the field, look at out of conference outcome in 74 I think we played Oklahoma, penn state and Texas on successive weeks and gave up 40-45 a game to maybe a field goal I think that was when people were spray painting road signs, I-40. WFU-0. Glad I was gone by then

Heck, I like to watch some classic college games from the 80's sometimes and a guy 275 on the Oline was considered really big then. I think Paul Kiser for us in the mid-80's was 260 and considered a good sized lineman.

Back