• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Oldtimer's Memories Thread

I don't know who it was but it wasn't Andrews. He was drafted in the 1979 NFL draft by the Falcons.

Okay, I concede. I guess I was remembering the '78 roster when we played them at Auburn. Too many years, too many games.

Nope. Either he was still there or I'm losing my mind. If not, who was the third RB?

I think it was just those main 2 guys, Brooks and Cribbs. Love how Auburn had "flankers." Someone should ask Clawson to describe how he'd use a flanker?

Late 70's, early to mid 80's SEC running backs - wow.

George Rogers
Herschel Walker
Andrews/Cribbs/Brooks
Johnnie Jones
Neal Anderson
Then Bo Jackson, Bobby Humphrey.

ACC
UNC with Amos Lawrence and Kelvin Bryant.
NC State with Ted Brown and Joe McIntosh.
Deacs with James McDougald and Michael Ramseur.
MD with Charlie Wysocki and Steve Atkins.

Not a player comment, but who remembers the noise-o-meter at the old War Memorial Coliseum? Good stuff!

I remember James McDougald's first start his freshman year vs Clemson. What a display of running, Walter Payton-ish. Jumping, cutting, slashing his way to 200+ yards against a good Clemson D. He ran in black high top canvas Converse tennis shoes. So glaring even from the stands. We went 5-6 in 76, a great season for us in those days. He and Albert Kirby went on to formidable senior leaders in the backfield on that successful '79 team. I think Albert caught to go ahead TD verses UNC out of the backfield. He was 30-40 yeards downfield all alone. No one covered a FB going long.

McDougald was a kid from a rural N.C. county like myself, and we had some early classes together. Very nice young man. He told me Beattie Feathers recruited him. Beattie was the baseball coach but was on the football staff too. (Won't ever see that again).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beattie_Feathers

Last edited:

Skip ahead to 59:24 (if you don't want to watch the whole thing, for some reason) and turn the volume up when Childress starts barking at LaRue.

I think it was just those main 2 guys, Brooks and Cribbs. Love how Auburn had "flankers." Someone should ask Clawson to describe how he'd use a flanker?

Late 70's, early to mid 80's SEC running backs - wow.

George Rogers
Herschel Walker
Andrews/Cribbs/Brooks
Johnnie Jones
Neal Anderson
Then Bo Jackson, Bobby Humphrey.

ACC
UNC with Amos Lawrence and Kelvin Bryant.
NC State with Ted Brown and Joe McIntosh.
Deacs with James McDougald and Michael Ramseur.
MD with Charlie Wysocki and Steve Atkins.

Kenny Duckett played flanker for the 1979 Deacs.

I was 7 years old at the 1979 Auburn game. I don't remember it too well but my Dad always told the story of a man that had seats near us that had an orange in his hand the whole game. When the final gun sounded, the man chucked his orange onto the field. He hit one of the Auburn coaches right in the back of the head.

More likely a tangerine if you think about it. The Orange Bowl had a tie-in with the Big 8 champ and an at-large back then. Wake did end up going to the Tangerine Bowl that year.

I suppose it could've been an orange if he couldn't find a tangerine at his local grocery store.

I remember James McDougald's first start his freshman year vs Clemson. What a display of running, Walter Payton-ish. Jumping, cutting, slashing his way to 200+ yards against a good Clemson D. He ran in black high top canvas Converse tennis shoes. So glaring even from the stands. We went 5-6 in 76, a great season for us in those days. He and Albert Kirby went on to formidable senior leaders in the backfield on that successful '79 team. I think Albert caught to go ahead TD verses UNC out of the backfield. He was 30-40 yeards downfield all alone. No one covered a FB going long.

McDougald was a kid from a rural N.C. county like myself, and we had some early classes together. Very nice young man. He told me Beattie Feathers recruited him. Beattie was the baseball coach but was on the football staff too. (Won't ever see that again).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beattie_Feathers

The Kirby play against unc was just good coaching. Unc ran a safety blitz that was telegraphed by safety, from practicing for this Venuto went audible and Kirby went where the safety was supposed to be. Like taking candy from a baby

More likely a tangerine if you think about it. The Orange Bowl had a tie-in with the Big 8 champ and an at-large back then. Wake did end up going to the Tangerine Bowl that year.

I suppose it could've been an orange if he couldn't find a tangerine at his local grocery store.

No, we threw oranges because we wanted to go to the orange bowl.

It’s going to be crazy when fans throw Cheez-Its or Duke’s Mayo on the field.

HaHa, have you seen that commercial where a fat, shirtless fan goes nuts and dumps a 2 gallon plastic jug of what looks like mayo on his head? :)

The Kirby play against unc was just good coaching. Unc ran a safety blitz that was telegraphed by safety, from practicing for this Venuto went audible and Kirby went where the safety was supposed to be. Like taking candy from a baby

Great to hear a reply from a knowledgeable football guy. I never knew that.

I remember it was either that go ahead play or near the end when we knew would win, a blue-haired old lady slapped one of the girls sitting near me because we were all cheering like crazy. But no one was taunting anyone for UNC. We were in the slot where visiting students got tix. Guess the female heel was right behind our last row. We all ran on the field as time expired which caused a lot of boos. James Parker got to both Amos Lawrence and Kelvin Bryant in the backfield more than once. (Both played in the NFL.)

Last edited:
BTW, the best part about that video is Randolph's post game interview.

Visser to Duncan: "Is this your last ACC tournament?"
Duncan, with no hesitation: "No" - while Randolph is shaking his head no...
Gives me chills...

Back