• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 8: Northwestern Wildcats @ LJVM: 9 pm ESPNU Tuesday

1 - Gotta stop the hero ball in crunch time with Williams. He's great in transition, great sometimes in isolation, not so great when everybody near the basket knows he's coming
2 - Should've called a play on the last possession of regulation. That's on Forbes.
3 - Walton is 7 feet tall and rebounds like a midget. Unacceptable. And I don't care if Forbes encourages him to take threes if he's open-- under no circumstances should he be tossing up a three in crunch time with 30 seconds left unless the shot clock necessitates it.
4 - Sloppy ballhandling made this closer than it should've been. Williams made an ill advised pass/turnover when we were up 8-9, then had a bad foul for a 3 point play on the other end, then Hildreth tried a half court alley-oop that was several feet short of the mark and led to more easy points. Big swing right there when we had the opportunity to play smart and extend the lead.
5 - Ugly win, but I'll take it.
6 - Kids should be back from break. WTF, losers, go support your Deacs so that they don't pan to the crowd of 20 and show that half of them are Carolina fans. That pissed me off more than anything else about the game.

Let’s not forget last 2 Forbes TO ended in play the Laravia finished. When was last time in a close game that happened?

Tough win against a comparable bubbleish team.

Key stat. 10 turnovers. Only 6 by the starters. 15 points off NW’s 10 turnovers.

I’ll take it. We need to find a place to watch the Va Tech game on Saturday.

I’ll throw in a pitch to watch Wake’s 7-0 women’s squad vs 7-0 Nebraska tomorrow on the ESPN app.

You forgot 14-3 on the offensive glass. We got muttered inside.

Felt like we had an abnormal number of great defensive stops end with a kicked ball that bounced to an open 3 point shooter, or an airball that got a tip in, etc.

We missed 3 consecutive three pointers to close out a tie game at the 2:30 mark - and didn't lose. Won that with defense - they took 10 more shots than we did with free throws dead even.

Disappointing that Forbes gave Whitt and Cam quality minutes in the early games but rightfully can’t trust them down the stretch.

Good win at home that I'd describe as GGTT.

Last three Deacon shots in regulation were lousy. Wrong people and wrong shots. No timeout didn't bother me. Forbes is learning too. We were lucky it didn't cost us. Forbes didn't make that mistake in OT. He took charge. Took the ball out of Williams hands and handed it to Laravia. It worked. Jake has deferred to teammates all season. Too much. He needs to take more shots during the course of the game and needs to touch the ball on every possession in clutch time.

Decent game defensively except for rebounding. Held a good shooting Northwestern team to 38%, 33% from three.

Turnovers were a key. Deacs only committed ten, same as Northwestern and won points off turnovers 15 to 11.

It was good to hear the students that attended the game making noise down the stretch. Seemed to give the team a lift. Attendance was 3711. It may take longer than anticipated for the fans to return.

A win is a win. Take it and move on. The growth will continue. I still believe this team will finish top ten in the acc.

I’m sure the Athletic Department has a plan to boost student attendance. Unfortunately they aren’t going to be on campus for the next five games. Cuse is the Saturday before classes start. That would be a good time to make a big push. Maybe honor the football team during that game. Then Duke is the following Wednesday.

and dook choked it's game away, so a pretty good night.

Northwestern feels like they’re on our level, a lot more than LSU (above), OSU (below), and our cupcake shop of an OOC.

I only was able to watch a few minutes of the second half and OT, though. I’ll have some more thoughts once I’m able to watch this one all the way through.

Good win but maybe going forward let’s not pretend like Williams is Kevin Durant in the last three minutes.

Also, the refs were horrible in the last five minutes of regulation and OT but mostly in our favor. Felt weird.

09e3794a0a56e09ab5d2a9df351bd371.jpg

Had to share this one with y’all - apparently this is what the Screamin Demons are giving out to the student section now (there’s info about starters on the back). It’s not Cameron Crazy level stuff thankfully. Priority needs to be asses in seats tho

I ty

I really wish I hadn't seen this

Good win at home that I'd describe as GGTT.

Last three Deacon shots in regulation were lousy. Wrong people and wrong shots. No timeout didn't bother me. Forbes is learning too. We were lucky it didn't cost us. Forbes didn't make that mistake in OT. He took charge. Took the ball out of Williams hands and handed it to Laravia. It worked. Jake has deferred to teammates all season. Too much. He needs to take more shots during the course of the game and needs to touch the ball on every possession in clutch time.

Decent game defensively except for rebounding. Held a good shooting Northwestern team to 38%, 33% from three.

Turnovers were a key. Deacs only committed ten, same as Northwestern and won points off turnovers 15 to 11.

It was good to hear the students that attended the game making noise down the stretch. Seemed to give the team a lift. Attendance was 3711. It may take longer than anticipated for the fans to return.

Good game and nice win. I didn't have a problem with Alondes's shots. He was taking his man to the hoop for most of the game and scoring. They made adjustments and he got blocked on the last couple of drives but still good shots. The Walton 3 was not good. Mucius was invisible for much of the game which has been a trend for several games unfortunately which is a concern. Ball movement is great and it seems everyone touches the ball on almost all possessions. Jake is just very solid and it seems he does not shoot much but ends up with 15 - 20 points. Team hustles and is unselfish and plays great defense. Monsanto would have been a big plus.

The officiating was terrible. They had that 3 point play that should have been a travel. They also got a few make-up calls after we got favorable calls on our end. Felt like the refs basically swallowed their whistles near the end of the game, which definitely benefitted Wake as Northwestern got a ton of offensive rebounds but couldn't finish.

Last edited:
Yeah we pretty clearly hacked them right under the basket towards the end of regulation. Was very surprised it wasn’t called.

I'm really worried about having to play Walton for 30+ minutes/game.

He's never shown the ability to handle that many minutes. Hope he can stay healthy because we're screwed without him unless Sy & Marsh really pick it up.

Agree with Ph that Cam & Carter need to give us more minutes. Carter gave Alondes & Daivien a couple of minutes rest inside 10 minutes left in the 2nd half, which was good... But he still made a couple of avoidable mistakes (driving too deep and getting swatted).

I didn't have an issue with the 3s at the end of the game... Walton's was wide open and you either want him shooting those or you don't. Agree that it isn't the shot you look for, but no reason not to take it when it is that wide open. The one that bothered me was just before that when Mucius didn't make the extra pass to a wide open Daivien.

I think we're relying on the 3 too much. Need to get the ball inside more. Ball movement is great though! Like what Forbes said post game about LaRavia, he needs to shoot it more. LaRavia seems to drive a kick a lot when I think he should take the short jumper. :noidea:

Back