• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 8: Northwestern Wildcats @ LJVM: 9 pm ESPNU Tuesday

You can tell he is hustling. I honestly don't think he is better than Doral Moore or even David DreamWeaver, but he is working his ass off.

Almost like an old guy with bad knees, he is a little slow, a little soft, does not play great defense, but he does hustle. I mean Forbes will be working on boxing out for 3 hours with him, this afternoon. That is what I would do after reviewing the tape last night.

And he had 2 blocks. That's not Ty Walker territory, but 1, 2, 3 blocks per game from our starting Center will help. He's averaging 1.6 BPG, and we need him to get that up to 2.0 BPG or higher.

We could use a wide body space eater to grab boards, but Marsh is not ready and Ingraham left. So, we got what we got.

I definitely hope they’re working on boxing out but I also don’t know how somebody at this stage of their basketball career either doesn’t know how to do that or doesn’t do it. Especially if they’re 6’10” or whatever. Not calling out Walton per se as that’s true across college basketball.

It’s one of the first fundamentals you’re supposed to learn and it also takes little talent; just tons of effort. Maybe that’s the problem.

Lots of rich white people openly ignoring the city of Winston-Salem's indoor mask mandate in the first few rows and court side.

Ignorance is bliss.

Go Deacs!

Wow I’m genuinely perplexed by this. He’s soft with the ball, got bullied down low and offers very little in terms of post offense.

I was stone sober, too. I really liked his defense last night. I will confess, I did not pay as much attention to him on offense.

Lots of rich white people openly ignoring the city of Winston-Salem's indoor mask mandate in the first few rows and court side.

Ignorance is bliss.

Go Deacs!

I was at the game. There were lots of fans ignoring the mask mandate and they weren't all white or old and many certainly didn't appear to be rich.

I was at the game. There were lots of fans ignoring the mask mandate and they weren't all white or old and many certainly didn't appear to be rich.

The only weapon I will need to defend myself against white people is a mask. They will run like hell to get away from it because they are scared shitless by masks or face coverings.

Last edited:
The only weapon I will need to defend myself against white people is a mask. They will run like hell to get away from it because they are scared shitless by masks or face coverings.

Replace white with any other race and you would be deemed an irredeemable racist.

My guess is you are white and are trying to score woke points

Ignorance is bliss.

Go Deacs!

That is a massive generalization. Keep in mind things like the fact that students and staff are 99% vaccinated, the fanbase as a whole is likely above 90%, and that people of all ages, races, wealth, and in different sections of the arena were choosing to overlook the mask mandate, including myself in the student section as I feel comfortable as a vaccinated person especially in a vaccinated section. I encourage you to look into the extensive research on the limited transmission of the virus in large arenas versus enclosed spaces. Two different ball games, which is why almost all students have no problem wearing masks in class, but do not at games.

That is a massive generalization. Keep in mind things like the fact that students and staff are 99% vaccinated, the fanbase as a whole is likely above 90%, and that people of all ages, races, wealth, and in different sections of the arena were choosing to overlook the mask mandate, including myself in the student section as I feel comfortable as a vaccinated person especially in a vaccinated section. I encourage you to look into the extensive research on the limited transmission of the virus in large arenas versus enclosed spaces. Two different ball games, which is why almost all students have no problem wearing masks in class, but do not at games.

Yep, once I got both shots of my vaccine the masks went in the trash. The risks of COVID to the vaccinated are virtually non existent

At this point in the pandemic, if you attend an indoor sporting event with a few thousand other people you shouldn’t be surprised if many are not wearing masks whether required or not. If you’re that concerned about it you shouldn’t be there.

At this point in the pandemic, if you attend an indoor sporting event with a few thousand other people you shouldn’t be surprised if many are not wearing masks whether required or not. If you’re that concerned about it you shouldn’t be there.

Which helps explain why attendance is down.

Agreed

Which helps explain why attendance is down.

Yeah also this. Even in our worst years, we'd mostly fill the lower level in a game like last night. The attendance issues are directly related to the pandemic.

Anyways, I have a major man crush on Laravia. He is so good.

Bottom line is that eventually injuries and/or foul trouble will force WF to get more from the non-starters than the Deacs are currently getting. Heading into the season, felt like this was a reasonably deep team, but it's looking more like a very limited roster.

I think there's a good chance that McCray gets increased minutes as the season progresses. It all comes down to how well he performs in practice. The LSU game exposed the lack of athleticism of Whitt and Hildreth, but both of those kids are going to have some solid outings before the end of the season. Delaney Rudd averaged fewer that 7 minutes a game his freshman season, but gradually the game slowed down for him.

If we can consistently share the ball and get good looks, we're going to be a lot better than experts have projected. Keeping fingers crossed that LaRavia will look to score more. He's averaging fewer that 9 FG attempts per game, while shooting 65.7% from the field.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...ination-status?facet=none&country=18-29~18~18

I still wear my mask when I'm in a business or classroom or church or whatever as a courtesy but this chart shows why I do not at the Joel, in addition to transmission being so unlikely in such a large and open air building. As of the most recently available CDC data, dating to October, the death rate for 100,000 fully vaccinated 18-29 year olds is 0.0 per 100,000. You can toggle through other age groups and find your own. At the older age groups the J&J shot lags a little behind, but this paints a good picture.
Don't let rhetoric from either side of the political spectrum or the 24 hour news cycle lead you away from the science. Obviously misinformation downplaying covid from one particular political party was more prevalent and harmful for the majority of the pandemic, but there is also misinformation and misguided fear coming from other sources. Infectious disease experts are obviously the leading source on anything related to covid, however you have to understand that a person who has dedicated their life and career to studying such diseases is likely to overstate the importance of their work and the risks. It is a natural and perfectly benevolent bias, but it is there. Supplementing info from trusted infectious disease experts with input from mental health, economic, and parenting experts (for families) can paint a more full picture.

Back