• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mark Turgeon & Maryland part ways; Danny Manning is interim coach

kinda makes sense from the UMD point of view

not gonna be any pressure to remove the interim tag

kinda makes sense from the UMD point of view

not gonna be any pressure to remove the interim tag

I’m sure they’ll go on a mini run and back into an 11 seed later this year. Another Manning miracle. For their sake, hopefully they learn from our pain after we hired him under similar circumstances.

Maryland fan base always thought Turgeon’s team underperformed in the NCAA tournament.
Can't underperform when you don't even make it.
00fa747d84f8775cf1926250de6c96c1.jpg

Just texted a MD friend who was apparently unaware of the wake carnage and was positive about the move. Like, I am sorry to be the one to tell you this but…

How is that possible for someone in MD? Casual college hoops fan?

We essentially didn’t exist for a decade.

How is that possible for someone in MD? Casual college hoops fan?

They no longer follow the ACC goings on now that they're in the B1G. And it's not like Wake was on TV much when we were "coached" by Manning or [name redacted]. So it makes sense.

Bufu, beat me to it. And though I understand he was the biggest name on the staff, he is Turgeon's friend and KU teammate. His loyalty is to Turgeon, not UMd. Should be quite the shitshow the rest of the year.

We essentially didn’t exist for a decade.

That and the fact that MD is in a different conference now. I can’t say I’m up to date with the coaching history at like Nebraska or whatever their bottom feeders are.

That and the fact that MD is in a different conference now. I can’t say I’m up to date with the coaching history at like Nebraska or whatever their bottom feeders are.

Yep. But it’s worse because we were the school of Tim Duncan and Chris Paul, so our disappearance was the true free fall.

Yep. But it’s worse because we were the school of Tim Duncan and Chris Paul, so our disappearance was the true free fall.

Maryland has a much better basketball history than Wake. They won a NCAA championship in 2003

They no longer follow the ACC goings on now that they're in the B1G. And it's not like Wake was on TV much when we were "coached" by Manning or [name redacted]. So it makes sense.

Bufu, beat me to it. And though I understand he was the biggest name on the staff, he is Turgeon's friend and KU teammate. His loyalty is to Turgeon, not UMd. Should be quite the shitshow the rest of the year.

Danny's only loyalty is to Danny.

I love that we get to bring back "paint touches" and Mannequin. They always made me laugh even though the joke was always on us. Now we get to laugh at others' misery.

So many paint touches in Maryland's future. So they have that going for them; which is nice.

Late to the party but I feel compelled to comment. Although the Maryland Basketball Club, resplendent in their Harley-Davidson T-shirts, were a hell of a lot of fun with which to party at the ACC Tournament in the '80's and '90's a big LOL to the Terps. The wheels have come off at Maryland...again.

Last edited:
is there a more forgettable P5 school than Maryland these days? I don't recall the last time I saw them play anything at all and regularly forget that the entire state and school exist.

Only others I can think of are: Vandy, Cal, Stanford, Northwestern - except those are all actually good schools. When you look for that unique mix of terrible athletics and mediocre education, Maryland is truly in a class of its own. Maybe Oregon State is on this trajectory?

#MarylandToTheSunBeltConference

lol this reminds me of my rant about Maryland I went on like a decade ago on this board or TOB, all Inremember about it is calling Maryland a “trashcan hoebag”

Of course none of this is of consequence because Maryland has reaped substantial financial benefits.

*reads thread title*

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Back