• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mark Turgeon & Maryland part ways; Danny Manning is interim coach

Yes. Definitely. Manning beating Illinois would be hilarious.

#17 Illinois loses to Danny Manning's Terps 81-65. Maryland finished on an 11-0 run.

I know some guys who played under Caldwell. They all say he tended to panic and abandon his game plan early. Also, he didn't stick to the "bigger, stronger" part of his promise. Strength and conditioning declined. I'm sure we all remember the App State game with all our guys cramping and puking on the field.

Oh- I remember and agree. I know all of those guys and most of them loved him as a person, but were thrilled to have a new coach and actually win. When Grobe came in, people lost massive amounts of weight. It was almost shocking how visibly strength and conditioning changed.

As much as it is nice to see the terps go through Danny's game, the rumor is they are hard on Pitino despite the baggage.

Rick has it rolling at Iona. It’d make Maryland very good again. He’s a great coach, albeit (probably) a terrible person.

Maybe if Md reaches the tourney, they keep Manning. But I just don't see them turning things around that significantly.

I remember reading an article about Jim Caldwell when he was our coach that he would scout and buy real estate in Winston area during his lunch break . It struck me as kind of odd then, but it’s down right laughable now that a Power 5 coach would have a side hustle going on during the work week . Maybe he made millions and is laughing all the way to the bank though.

Rick Pitino, a P5 basketball school, NIL, and the portal is a combo that could wreak some serious havoc.

I remember reading an article about Jim Caldwell when he was our coach that he would scout and buy real estate in Winston area during his lunch break . It struck me as kind of odd then, but it’s down right laughable now that a Power 5 coach would have a side hustle going on during the work week . Maybe he made millions and is laughing all the way to the bank though.

The rumor was Kevin Ollie played golf every afternoon at 1. I wonder what coaches have as rules, like “hey you need to be in at 8 and stay till 5…” Probably not, but at the same time you can’t just leave and play golf every day.

I’m sure success produces freedom for the head coaches, whereas assistants have more structure. But everybody has to go to their children’s recitals, games, etc. For the head coach it’s one of those jobs where you’re never off duty anyway.

Back