• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

How many more plays, on average, did WF run than those teams?

I don't know why it's controversial to think we need to run more varied & quick hitting plays when we (rarely) play elite defenses. It's not an indictment of our scheme or coaching as a whole, which is excellent. And yeah, if you flip flop the recruiting prowess, I'm sure our scheme would do just fine, and probably dominate Clemson. But in the reality we live in, we need scheme to trump talent. Not easy to do, but if you watched last year's game (with 2 4th Q TDs scored down 25) and thought our scheme had Clemson on the ropes, then we can just agree to disagree.

The tOSU game you mentioned was one of the more satisfyingly non-Wake wins of my sports-watching career. OSU fundamentally changed their game plan with quick huddles to prevent Venables from stealing signs, included more power sweeps/outside runs against a defense that got upfield quickly, and threw the ball downfield to pick on elite WR/DB matchups. Total master-class by Day and Fields.

I wonder how thick our playbook is? Seems like we have a relatively small amount of core plays/formations, and then a handful variations from there of each.

"It's like novacaine. Just give it some time. It always works."

How many more plays, on average, did WF run than those teams?

I don't know why it's controversial to think we need to run more varied & quick hitting plays when we (rarely) play elite defenses. It's not an indictment of our scheme or coaching as a whole, which is excellent. And yeah, if you flip flop the recruiting prowess, I'm sure our scheme would do just fine, and probably dominate Clemson. But in the reality we live in, we need scheme to trump talent. Not easy to do, but if you watched last year's game (with 2 4th Q TDs scored down 25) and thought our scheme had Clemson on the ropes, then we can just agree to disagree.

The tOSU game you mentioned was one of the more satisfyingly non-Wake wins of my sports-watching career. OSU fundamentally changed their game plan with quick huddles to prevent Venables from stealing signs, included more power sweeps/outside runs against a defense that got upfield quickly, and threw the ball downfield to pick on elite WR/DB matchups. Total master-class by Day and Fields.

100% on the quick hitters. Especially on the outside.

Not sure I understand the argument people make "yeah, but how many plays did they run" There isn't an * beside the scoreboard. The only time that argument matters is when the defense is fatigued.

Even with all their talent, their first-year DC will be up against it with his first real test being against Ruggiero and all our explosiveness on offense. Worst of luck to him!

Beating Clemson is our next big hurdle (and will be necessary most years to win the division/conference). We haven't scored over 30 vs. Clemson since 2005, and we've only scored over 20 twice. Need to figure out how to vary the game plan against the better, more aggressive defenses (see, also Pitt & Wisconsin 2nd halves).

Dang it, We scored 24 against them in 81. Yeah, yeah they did score 82 and won the Natty

CBS Sports rates every ACC team's strength of schedule and WF has the 2nd easiest:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/acc-strength-of-schedule-rankings-2022-florida-state-georgia-tech-face-tough-tests-in-make-or-break-seasons/

Looking increasingly like Geoff Collins won't be GT's coach when WF picks them up as a rival. In addition to playing their ACC schedule (they open with Clemson and play at FSU in cross over games), the Jackets play UGA, Ole Miss, @ UCF (they are going to be good) in OOC games. Collins is currently 9-25 (7-18) at GT, and another bad season in Atlanta seems likely for the Jackets.

Random thoughts after a �few� beers�

Is garnes back and healthy?? Fuck army!!!

Mustapha?

I agree with all the variation suggestions. Must happen to win games like Clemson. And as long as our guys have run it, there should be no problem adding different sets.

I was really surprised we couldn't answer Pitt better than we did.

Random thoughts after a �few� beers�

Is garnes back and healthy?? Fuck army!!!

Mustapha?

I believe Garnes is expected to be ready for the start of camp in August. Mustapha has made progress, but it would be miraculous if he was ready to go at the start of the season. Naturally, we will know a lot more in less than two weeks when camp starts.

I think our new kicker might be solid.

Good bio.

Very important replacement, obviously as we will expect him to make every kick.

No big deal but maybe it's time to change this thread's title to This Year's Football Team

Is this the year we beat Clemson?

With Venables? About 5% chance if that. Without him? I'd say 40% chance. We'll need the breaks and for Clemson to be in some disarray with their new coordinators. No way we out-athlete them. Should be fun if both are undefeated.
Re: Venables.... I could not stand the sideshow he put on but the guy was the best DC in college football IMHO. I think his departure will impact Clemson more than many believe.

Last edited:
With Venables? About 5% chance if that. Without him? I'd say 40% chance. We'll need the breaks and for Clemson to be in some disarray with their new coordinators. No way we out-athlete them. Should be fun if both are undefeated.
Re: Venables.... I could not stand the sideshow he put on but the guy was the best DC in college football IMHO. I think his departure will impact Clemson more than many believe.

This is true. I just like it that for once - that game doesn’t define our season since it’s the conference opener. Every year it’s like yeah Wake has a great year but they haven’t played Clemson. Really need Sam to not have a Pitt-type game - gonna have to unleash the secret sauce when defense drops in conference and rushes 4- a swing, a draw, something different or just throw it away for pete’s sake or take the sack

I've never heard of these guys but their love of AT Perry and the fact that football season is soon upon us has me ready! The national love for Wake is thanks to Dave Clawson.

PFF is pretty legit.

I think this is a bad take. Clemson’s D-Line is going to be awesome this year and the overall defense will be very good. If the lose it will be because of a sputtering offense.

I think this is a bad take. Clemson’s D-Line is going to be awesome this year and the overall defense will be very good. If the lose it will be because of a sputtering offense.

So, it's a "bad take" that Clemson is superior to us athletically and that Venables has had our number forever and that we'll need breaks to win? Got it.

Back