• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

May get roasted here, but Sam needs to step up his game for us to go from good to great. He completed 58% of his passes, 5th. lowest of 15 ACC qb's, 14 interceptions, led the league, and too frequently missed relatively easy passes to open receivers. His completion % was also helped by some great catches by our receivers. With arguably the best group of receivers, those numbers must improve. I agree with others here that a bigger and stronger OL would certainly help in the above situations. Sam is a great kid and with his work ethic, I am confident he will take the next step.

I think it’s more like: he needs to avoid meltdowns in big games. His numbers were pretty ridiculous prior to UNC but he had a couple of performances (plus the bowl game last year) where he just looked like a completely different player. His tendency to spiral when things go south is really concerning.

But he’s also the guy who took us to 10-2 so pretty much a live by the sword/die by the sword situation.

I think it’s more like: he needs to avoid meltdowns in big games. His numbers were pretty ridiculous prior to UNC but he had a couple of performances (plus the bowl game last year) where he just looked like a completely different player. His tendency to spiral when things go south is really concerning.

Never should've shaved that beard.

That's not racist, you idiot, I saw tape of him (I thought) just plowing into the end zone or plowing over people, like red zone FB type scores.

Has nothing to do with race. Ovie Mughelli was also not fast, but was damn good.

I think Morin is sort of fast, too, for the record.

Don't be an idiot.

Calm down little fella. I've already stated that it wasn't serious. No need to go all keyboard warrior.

I was disappointed Kern wasn't given an opportunity to run the offense in the fourth quarter. He appears to have the best arm and accuracy of the reserve QB's and with eleven minutes to play I expected Clawson to go for broke and try and catch lightning in a bottle.

I like Kern as well. He's more stoic and reminds me of a Mac Jones type. Very centered.

RB: Not excited at all about Carney 2.0 - roast away, but Carney 1.0 frustrated me often as well. Sure, he had some flashes and good parts, but overall, meh...

CBS, great all arounder/special teams
Cooley, Turner, Ellison - 3 great specific backs in my opinion and looking forward to seeing them continue to progress and make big plays.

I want to see Kern get a shot at some point. I like Hartman but I wouldn’t be shocked if the next QB is better.

I was disappointed Kern wasn't given an opportunity to run the offense in the fourth quarter. He appears to have the best arm and accuracy of the reserve QB's and with eleven minutes to play I expected Clawson to go for broke and try and catch lightning in a bottle.

This. We just waved the white flag with 9 minutes left. I completely get switching QBs but then give him a chance. We need a backup ready to go anyway.

This. We just waved the white flag with 9 minutes left. I completely get switching QBs but then give him a chance. We need a backup ready to go anyway.

Griffis is our #2 but is redshirting. He will be the next starter. Wolford 2.0.

I want to see Kern get a shot at some point. I like Hartman but I wouldn’t be shocked if the next QB is better.

What's the basis for believing Kern is as good or better than Sam? Sam's not perfect (join the club) but I'm pretty worried about the transition at QB when he leaves. I don't feel like any of our backups are anywhere close to his level right now.

I don’t necessarily believe Kern is as good or better. I just wonder if someone on the roster is.

We wondered that with Newman and found out he was better than Hartman was at that time.

You guys realize this was Sam’s first full year starting for us even though he’s played A LOT. Pickett played 3 full season, Covid year, and a few games his freshman year. All those other years his numbers were nothing special but each year he got a little better as has Sam. The mental game usually trails the physical game and I think next year Sam calms down and makes better decisions when pressured. But bad decisions wasn’t the reason or only reason we lost. Our playcalling on offense was not good and our scheme is struggling against strong up front teams and something has got to be adjusted.

Regardless, that look by Sam while benched was not the look of a leader. TV announcers were sympathetic but his face and body language were not inspiring.

That's not racist, you idiot, I saw tape of him (I thought) just plowing into the end zone or plowing over people, like red zone FB type scores.

Has nothing to do with race. Ovie Mughelli was also not fast, but was damn good.

I think Morin is sort of fast, too, for the record.

Don't be an idiot.

Fullback isn't a position anymore.

I am worried about depth in the secondary next season, and addressing it will have to come through the portal since we only have one HS DB coming in. Add in losing Ja'Sir and we're in trouble.

We were in trouble with JaSir. Yet he continued starting despite a) head scratching bad play at times and b) being dinged up. I think quality depth is a concern across the defense.

We were in trouble with JaSir. Yet he continued starting despite a) head scratching bad play at times and b) being dinged up. I think quality depth is a concern across the defense.

Yeah this is one of those that was baffling to me. He could make some great plays and looked pretty good last Saturday. Most of the time he looks completely lost though. There are a few plays that come to mind against State and Syracuse where he didn’t even put his hands up to try to bat a ball coming his way. There are times where Clawson seems to favor older players for their experience when they may not be the best option.

The big question is whether we can develop another wrinkle to our offense to account for Dlines where slow mesh doesn't work.

Yeah this is one of those that was baffling to me. He could make some great plays and looked pretty good last Saturday. Most of the time he looks completely lost though. There are a few plays that come to mind against State and Syracuse where he didn’t even put his hands up to try to bat a ball coming his way. There are times where Clawson seems to favor older players for their experience when they may not be the best option.

And Army's last 2 TD's.

You guys realize this was Sam’s first full year starting for us even though he’s played A LOT. Pickett played 3 full season, Covid year, and a few games his freshman year. All those other years his numbers were nothing special but each year he got a little better as has Sam. The mental game usually trails the physical game and I think next year Sam calms down and makes better decisions when pressured. But bad decisions wasn’t the reason or only reason we lost. Our playcalling on offense was not good and our scheme is struggling against strong up front teams and something has got to be adjusted.

I don’t agree with this. He’s been in the program for four years and played 22 games coming into this season (now 35 total). Yes he had injuries and Covid was a real clusterfuck but that’s an entire career for a lot of college QBs. Sam looked terrific at times this year but Clawson wants to win championships and that requires a very high bar.

Back