• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

“I think he is good for that scheme,” the other coach said. “But it’s hard to say (how good he is) because if you put him in another system, would he be as good?”

The coach followed by saying that one of the best parts about Wake’s program is that most of the key players stay and start across multiple years — with Hartman being a prime example.

Hartman is a nuisance, he said, but not a player whom opponents lose sleep over during preparation. But he added that any coach would still love to have that kind of experience under center. Ultimately, the coach said, Wake’s offense will be fine. The program’s improvement will hinge on how much of a difference Lambert can make in his first year in charge of that defense.

Hartman is making at least one more read then many QBs. His initial read is run or pass, then if pass, pass receiver progression. His percentage correct should give opposing coaches more nightmares. Those coaches who don't lose sleep worrying about what Hartman can do end up on the short end of lopsided scores.

Hartman is making at least one more read then many QBs. His initial read is run or pass, then if pass, pass receiver progression. His percentage correct should give opposing coaches more nightmares. Those coaches who don't lose sleep worrying about what Hartman can do end up on the short end of lopsided scores.

I think the offense as a whole causes the lack of sleep. The opposite is true of a team like Louisville. Shut down Cunningham and the game is over.

That isn't a knock on Sam, but I'm sure other coaches look at it as a situation where they will try to blow up the middle of the line, similar to Clemson and Pitt, in order to disrupt the system. That has shown to be kryptonite for the slow mesh. I'm sure the staff has worked on a counter for that in the offseason.

Also, Clemson has demonstrated that if you absolutely maul the receiver as he is running his route or attempting to catch the ball, then that reduces the success rate of the offense.

"Shut down Cunningham..."

LOL. Harder than it looks.

But yeah, I think DCs saw that tape and figure that's how they'll stop it. If they can shut down the run option and reduce Hartman to throwing up 50/50 balls to Perry and Greene, they'll take it. It's up to Ruggeiro and the OL to stop it and it's up to the defense to make sure holding Wake to 30 isn't a key to a win.

I think the offense as a whole causes the lack of sleep. The opposite is true of a team like Louisville. Shut down Cunningham and the game is over.

That isn't a knock on Sam, but I'm sure other coaches look at it as a situation where they will try to blow up the middle of the line, similar to Clemson and Pitt, in order to disrupt the system. That has shown to be kryptonite for the slow mesh. I'm sure the staff has worked on a counter for that in the offseason.

Also, Clemson has demonstrated that if you absolutely maul the receiver as he is running his route or attempting to catch the ball, then that reduces the success rate of the offense.
Clemson uses the Coach K philosophy. Foul at will. Net you win. They can't call 200 fouls when they do it constantly. Aggression like that from jump ball/kickoff inuures the refs to proper calls late game.

the key to this is the ability to run stride for stride with the receiver, as Clemson has been able to do with most of our receivers.

Greene, when healthy, presents a bit more of a challenge as he has better speed than Roberson/Perry/Dortch/Surratt etc. Hopefully Grimes will as well.

But yeah, I think DCs saw that tape and figure that's how they'll stop it. If they can shut down the run option and reduce Hartman to throwing up 50/50 balls to Perry and Greene, they'll take it. It's up to Ruggeiro and the OL to stop it and it's up to the defense to make sure holding Wake to 30 isn't a key to a win.

Nowhere in my statement did I suggest it was easy. That's the whole point of losing sleep over a player vs a system. Cunningham causes you to lose sleep because stopping him = stopping UL.

I also think this is an area where a more Dortch-like slot will be needed. The ability to get open in the middle of the field in a blink, will be one way to beat middle pressure. Williams seems to have that quickness.

And a reliable TE to get 5-8 yards on 1st or 2nd down in the middle of the field.

And the screen game! The ability of Morin and Williams to take a screen for 20 yards is exciting. I really think that those two can take soooo much pressure off Sam and the outside guys.

I think opposing coaches lose sight of the fact that Sam is the hub of the big wheel Wake Forest offense rolling over them. Many times, Sam calls the actual play AFTER the ball is snapped.

When other teams did well at stopping our offense, they tended to crash our line, putting pressure on the mesh right away. Teams with strong D-lines are going to continue to be an issue for us unless we can fix this.

It’s no secret that Wakes success is highly dependent upon playing a schedule full of mediocre d-line talent. That’s not to disrespect our o-line, but even with 6th year guards, our mesh scheme gets exposed by talented/athletic pass rushers and run stoppers. Good for us that we only play 2-3 teams a year with that superior talent level.

It’s no secret that Wakes success is highly dependent upon playing a schedule full of mediocre d-line talent. That’s not to disrespect our o-line, but even with 6th year guards, our mesh scheme gets exposed by talented/athletic pass rushers and run stoppers. Good for us that we only play 2-3 teams a year with that superior talent level.

To be fair, it's not like there are that many teams in the country full of NFL talent on the DL like clemson specifically.

it took a while to adjust, but our offense did pretty well against clemson, our offense scored more points against them than anyone else despite bad field position. we lost bc our defense got embarrassed.

To be fair, it's not like there are that many teams in the country full of NFL talent on the DL like clemson specifically.

Pitt had 9 TFL 5 sacks and 4 Ints against us too though. I think we are gonna need to start throwing some misdirection in to keep teams from trying to jam the A and B gaps.

Clemson uses the Coach K philosophy. Foul at will. Net you win. They can't call 200 fouls when they do it constantly. Aggression like that from jump ball/kickoff inuures the refs to proper calls late game.

Don’t forget the Belichick and OSU offense that relies on refs not flagging your 15 pick passes/“tunnel screens” that are just blatant picks.

Re-watching the Clemson game, Hartman caught fire in the 2nd quarter. He was looking for the short-in routes and Jacquari was absolute toasting the Clemson Cb's off of the LOS. Of course, this was after 4 or 5 sacks. A little too slow to adjust, but Hartman put on a show in that quarter in the face of the Clemson blitz. Clemson adjusted in the 2nd half, clogging up those middle passes.
Roberson wasn't healthy vs Pitt - leaving Hartman and @ to really do it all themselves.

it took a while to adjust, but our offense did pretty well against clemson, our offense scored more points against them than anyone else despite bad field position. we lost bc our defense got embarrassed.

Exactly. Clemson's DL gave everyone problems last year, including the eventual national champions who scored 3 points on offense against Clemson. Any scheme is going to have problems against a defense with NFL talent. WF's offense did comparatively well against the Tigers. Clemson scored 48 against WF. WF wasn't going to win 49-48. In the games Clemson lost last year, they scored 3, 14 and 17 in regulation. Clemson's offense was putrid last year; yet, they shredded the WF defense. Don't understand how people can look back at the Clemson game and claim the offense was problem. Before playing WF, Clemson's O was averaging less than 20 ppg against Power V defenses.

Exactly. Clemson's DL gave everyone problems last year, including the eventual national champions who scored 3 points on offense against Clemson. Any scheme is going to have problems against a defense with NFL talent. WF's offense did comparatively well against the Tigers. Clemson scored 48 against WF. WF wasn't going to win 49-48. In the games Clemson lost last year, they scored 3, 14 and 17 in regulation. Clemson's offense was putrid last year; yet, they shredded the WF defense. Don't understand how people can look back at the Clemson game and claim the offense was problem. Before playing WF, Clemson's O was averaging less than 20 ppg against Power V defenses.

Yeah, I don't think most of us are calling for a scheme change. Just recognizing that over the past 4-5 years, the most effective way to stop the slow mesh is to bring pressure up the middle. Hopefully, Wake has a little better plan to negate that. Combine that with added talent and experience and it should be a really good year.

Back