• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SOTOGAB

Suggestion: until numbers are up significantly, have the band play a tune or two at the beginning of the half on the sideline facing the west stands; no marching or spread out formation ,no plumed hats, and fun tunes to play instead of the same tired "show" every week. Then give them access to a room in Bridger or Pruitt (I think that's the new one behind the east stands) during the remainder of the half and into the 3rd quarter including the buffet, and if 21 y/o two drink tickets. Back in the stands for the 3rd quarter break and remainder of the game.

You may have missed my ‘treble’ pun.

Regardless, another way to grow the band - not sure if they still do it, but GT used to have Georgia State students join their band for football season. It about doubled the size. However, since GS now has a football team, they probably don’t do it anymore.

Wake could be the first school to supplement their band with robots…..😳

Sadly, I was in the band all four years that I spent at Wake (78-82). We were pathetic in 78, a little better in 79, which was the year we went to our first bowl game in 30+ years. In 1980 we about doubled in size and were not bad. Keep in mind that Wake had only about 2700 students at the time. I believe that the increase in the size of the band was due to two things. First, the 79 band got to go to Orlando for the bowl game and Wake actually treated us quite well (nice hotel, food, etc.). Word got around about that, and most of us at the time (Kappa Sigs, Sigma Chis and KAs excepted, of course) came from backgrounds under which we couldn't afford to go to Orlando on our own dime. Second, we were expected to be good at basketball in 80 and to play in the pep band at basketball games, you had to have been in the marching band.

I would bet that Wake is more of a rich kids' school now, nothing we do about that. But publicizing the bowl game experience can't hurt. The main thing, though, would be for the hoops program to return to prominence so there is a better incentive to be in marching band. The decline of the band seems to have roughly coincided with the decline of the basketball program.

Pep band story: A large fraction of the pep band either lived in Taylor or was friends with those in Taylor. One game we all gathered in Taylor lounge (then bottom floor, rear) and waited until a few minutes until report time for a game. We then showed up en masse at the gathering place under the Wait Chapel altar area "lower level 1834 Hall" now, I think.

Pep band director was fuming because it was 5 minutes to go and only 6 WFU fans were present for Pep band. About 2 dozen of us. Went from questionable for playing to pretty robust in a minute. Pep band director was not happy, but what could he do?.

Last edited:
What really left the director splattering and tongue tied was that it was the primary student director who was part of the last second arrivals. He was also the instigator.

Described as “Thrilling," "Suspenseful," "Gripping," and "High-Octane," a Riveting story that will leave you hanging on every word.

Been watching the Mummers Parade going on in Philly. String bands put on awesome shows. Would be great to have one come south and do halftime show. That would be extremely entertaining.

I don't know if the logistics would work. The Mummers have mostly blue collar day jobs around Philly.

Pep band story: A large fraction of the pep band either lived in Taylor or was friends with those in Taylor. One game we all gathered in Taylor lounge (then bottom floor, rear) and waited until a few minutes until report time for a game. We then showed up en masse at the gathering place under the Wait Chapel altar area "lower level 1834 Hall" now, I think.

Pep band director was fuming because it was 5 minutes to go and only 6 WFU fans were present for Pep band. About 2 dozen of us. Went from questionable for playing to pretty robust in a minute. Pep band director was not happy, but what could he do?.

This one time, at band camp...

Get the admin to provide the band program with info that identifies prospective band members. That's an obvious fix. If that plus the resurgence of mens bball don't improve things, revisit other options.

What really left the director splattering and tongue tied was that it was the primary student director who was part of the last second arrivals. He was also the instigator.

Been watching the Mummers Parade going on in Philly. String bands put on awesome shows. Would be great to have one come south and do halftime show. That would be extremely entertaining.

I don't know if the logistics would work. The Mummers have mostly blue collar day jobs around Philly.

i hate to do this to you blue, but we need an IP check as this sounds suspiciously like RJ.

i hate to do this to you blue, but we need an IP check as this sounds suspiciously like RJ.

Go ahead. You will find that RJ and I are about as far apart physically as can be done while still staying in the U.S.

jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

Go ahead. You will find that RJ and I are about as far apart physically as can be done while still staying in the U.S.

Well RJ is tall/dark/handsome with smoldering eyes, so you must be a short, pasty troll with joo-joo eyeball.

Wake could be the first school to supplement their band with robots…..

This guy gets it. The future is either:
- rent a band/corps: https://carolinacrown.org they're world class, based in SC and have competed at the stadium. Or....
- holographic band presentation shown on field. Super low overhead except for initial cost of programming, projection equipment. That's futuristic and we would take the lead in all of college!

Until it's a priority for administration, it's not going to grow. The ones who've been in it, are in it, do it because they love to play and take pride. It's really a thankless job.

This guy gets it. The future is either:
- rent a band/corps: https://carolinacrown.org they're world class, based in SC and have competed at the stadium. Or....
- holographic band presentation shown on field. Super low overhead except for initial cost of programming, projection equipment. That's futuristic and we would take the lead in all of college!

Until it's a priority for administration, it's not going to grow. The ones who've been in it, are in it, do it because they love to play and take pride. It's really a thankless job.
Speaking of lights and projections, etc - some of what SEC schools are doing with them for game atmosphere is pretty awesome. Definitely some things WF could do to liven up the atmosphere outside of the limited band numbers & sound.

Speaking of lights and projections, etc - some of what SEC schools are doing with them for game atmosphere is pretty awesome. Definitely some things WF could do to liven up the atmosphere outside of the limited band numbers & sound.

We have the random dude giving updates at the end of each quarter. What more could you possibly want?

Back