• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GATOR BOWL VS TEXAS A&M, psyche RUTGERS

If I want to be close to JAX beaches and really tourist it up, where do I stay in Jacksonville?

Probably depends on how old you are. If you are in your 20s/early 30s and want to party it up, then just stay in Jax Beach. Tons of bars/restaurants/young people. Otherwise, this is my reco. On the beach, within walking distance of plenty of restaurants/bars - but that part of the beaches is a lot more laid back and a little more classy.

https://www.oneoceanresort.com/

Probably depends on how old you are. If you are in your 20s/early 30s and want to party it up, then just stay in Jax Beach. Tons of bars/restaurants/young people. Otherwise, this is my reco. On the beach, within walking distance of plenty of restaurants/bars - but that part of the beaches is a lot more laid back and a little more classy.

Thanks. That's kind of place is what I'm looking for

If I want to be close to JAX beaches and really tourist it up, where do I stay in Jacksonville?

I live in Riverside. Not much for accommodations (downtown and San Marco are about 5-10 minutes away but would need an Uber) but a nice little bar scene in our few blocks. Marriott, Hyatt and the Southbank are all short rides away. Upside to the Southbank is it has water taxi to TIAA Field. Also a lot of good bars within walking distance from it in San Marco.

In the least surprising news of the week, TAMU fans uniformly disgusted and predicting a massive blowout win over us.

I can get their disgust a little more since they were just in the Gator Bowl two years ago

Three years ago vs. State. Attendance: 38,206, the lowest attended Gator Bowl since 1956 before COVID. Seems like a reasonable bar to meet.

Damn. Maybe if these whiny A&M fans would actually show up to these lower-tier games they'd start getting better invites when its a marginal call.

The week after the Belk Bowl I was at Disney World and saw as many people in A&M gear there as I saw in Charlotte, so they do exist and are capable of traveling to Florida

A. The Gator Bowl is not a random bowl game. It’s one of the top bowls out there bud we haven’t played in it since the 1940s.
B. Anyone who uses the excuse of “I went to the ACC championship game last weekend” is not a true fan! That’s just a bush league excuse. Beating a team like A&M in a NYE bowl would do a heck of a lot more for us recruiting wise than beating a flash in the pan Pitt team in Charlotte. Time for us fans to rally and step up!
C. Jacksonville is where we beat GT in 2006 to get to the Orange Bowl. Time for repeat Karma and for us to do it again!

ROLL CALL, Deacon Nation!

Clawson himself has said that he wants the team to play for Championships.

Hope it's not another 15 years to get there again.... Sam with a bad night to have a bad night. :(

Just learned that Central Florida has 70 thousand students, jeezuz

Many, many commuters and, I think, online students. I believe Ohio State has over 60,000 on-campus students. By comparison, NC State is the largest school in NC with about 26,000.

I was born in College Station and grew up an Aggie - my grandfather went there and my dad got his phd there - so I've watched a fair amount of aTm games this year. Their QB is pretty shaky at times and is prone to some bad throws, but their run game is very solid and the defense could be a real problem for the Deacs. My dad and brother talked a lot of shit a few years ago and were full of excuses when they lost, but I think it's going to be a lot harder this time around, especially if the offense stalls like it did against Pitt.

Solid run game. Uh-oh.

I’m not feeling great about this game simply because of Elko. He’s a great DC in his own right, and adding in familiarity with our staff could make a long day for our offense.

Going to be hard for the fan base to get up for a semi random bowl game against a team that finished 5th in their division especially the way the season just played out. Throw in a lot of people already travelling to charlotte last weekend

Always good to hear the thoughts from the king of the self-loathing Wake fans who has been notoriously absent all season.

A "semi random" bowl game?? LMAO

Girlfriend's family lives around that area (so I'm not worried about accommodation prices) and while I fall into that late 20s/early 30s crowd, I absolutely co-sign this general area. Jax is definitely a good time, but I much prefer this side of the beach. A really solid mix of restaurants and bars at a variety of prices all in about a 4 block radius of that resort/beach area.

Last season over. Gator first game of next season. Let's go 1-0.

For everyone dragging Jacksonville, Amelia Island and Ponte Vedra Beach are very nice places to visit, get some beach time, etc.

Co-sign on Amelia Island, but it's a bit of a drive. There used to be a good Peruvian/ceviche place in Jax Beaches, but it seems to have closed. I like Aardwolf brewing.

I imagine there's also the possibility that the Wake home base could be the Omni Amelia Island Plantation resort. Was there a few years ago over New Year's and it was State's home base for the Gator Bowl.

People here probably know this, but it's worth a reminder. Jacksonville is one of the largest cities in the Lower 48 with respect to land mass at 747.3 sq miles. So just because a location is Jacksonville or outside of Jacksonville doesn't mean it's close to the stadium, downtown, or any bowl activities.

Stopping Isiah Spiller is a concern to put it mildly. That said, he's considered one of the top draft eligible RBs (could even be a late first round pick). So, maybe he sits out the Gator Bowl.

People here probably know this, but it's worth a reminder. Jacksonville is one of the largest cities in the Lower 48 with respect to land mass at 747.3 sq miles. So just because a location is Jacksonville or outside of Jacksonville doesn't mean it's close to the stadium, downtown, or any bowl activities.

I'll save the google maps for everybody, the beaches are ~30 min away.

Looks like there are actually some bowl related events down by the beaches: https://www.taxslayergatorbowl.com/new-years-eve/

Back