• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 WF Football Transfers Thread

Rumor is aTm acquired $25 million in NIL cash for this year's recruiting class. Don't know where we are heading, but we are in a different place.

Rumor is aTm acquired $25 million in NIL cash for this year's recruiting class. Don't know where we are heading, but we are in a different place.

Yeah we are playing in bowl games and they aren’t Different places

They are headed right where they normally do. Mediocrity. They are, without a doubt, the most overrated program in CFB history. At least places like Nebraska and Miami did, in fact, have glory days.

I'm still wait and see on the crazy NIL money. They definitely made the splash in the first year. But if they don't make the playoffs with this Dream Team class, do boosters still shell out $25M in 4 years? Doubt it.

What could possibly go wrong when you have a bunch of 18 year olds showing up in College Station with boatloads of cash? I'm already looking forward to the 30 for 30.

I'm still wait and see on the crazy NIL money. They definitely made the splash in the first year. But if they don't make the playoffs with this Dream Team class, do boosters still shell out $25M in 4 years? Doubt it.

NIL is the new thing right now. People with money will "invest " in new stuff. When they don't get adequate return, the investments will decrease. NIL deals are more like pro sports draft pick. No sure things, and many will be busts. They are less like pro sports big money free agent deals which generally go to proven professional players. Hence, the latter have a much greater chance of positively impacting a team.

NIL is the new thing right now. People with money will "invest " in new stuff. When they don't get adequate return, the investments will decrease. NIL deals are more like pro sports draft pick. No sure things, and many will be busts. They are less like pro sports big money free agent deals which generally go to proven professional players. Hence, the latter have a much greater chance of positively impacting a team.

Yeah, but there's a difference. Some ultra-rich dude's threshold rate of return is different when he's helping his lifelong favorite team be really good, and also feeling like he's now a part of this thing he loves. It's not the same thing as traditional investments. I think this is the beginning of the end of college football as we've known it. There will still be football, but it will be different.

I used to love pro football. Then it became all about the money. Now I don't watch the NFL at all. This feels like the beginning of a similar thing to me.

CHristian Beal Smith is in Columbia this weekend to see the Gamecocks and their message board seems pretty excited about their chances. His HS coach says 25 schools have contacted him.

While this is nothing but speculation, I wonder if Beal-Smith received some indication that Ellison/Cooley/Turner would be receiving more workload next year and that led him to the portal.

Or maybe he just wanted to go get a different experience, who knows.

CHristian Beal Smith is in Columbia this weekend to see the Gamecocks and their message board seems pretty excited about their chances. His HS coach says 25 schools have contacted him.

Beamer seems like a fun coach to play for. I would imagine a lot of teams would want a competent RB that is an excellent ST player and pass blocker. Think its a good move for both WF and CBS that this was his final season in Winston.

While this is nothing but speculation, I wonder if Beal-Smith received some indication that Ellison/Cooley/Turner would be receiving more workload next year and that led him to the portal.

He was honored on Senior Day, so seems this has been in the works for a while.

No clue if this is legit at all, but this is a random YouTube comment I just read:

CBS told the staff during the season that he wasn't going to come back and was going to enter the draft so we took in 2 RB recruits. Then after the season he changed his mind and said he wanted to come back but the staff told him there was no longer any room for him after taking in our HS class. So that's why he entered the portal, not because he didn''t want to split carries anymore. Whoever gets him will get a really good RB.

He was honored on Senior Day, so seems this has been in the works for a while.

No clue if this is legit at all, but this is a random YouTube comment I just read:

If true, sounds like we don’t get Claiborne if CBS was planning to come back given how early we were on and offered Carney.

If true, sounds like we don’t get Claiborne if CBS was planning to come back given how early we were on and offered Carney.

Especially as Claiborne was going to delay signing until February until Clawson talked him out of it on that home visit just before early signing day.

I would hope they would be.

Do we not all know the CBS story here? That YouTube comment is basically a verbatim rehash of what Les has said behind his paywall.

People with agendas prefer to create their own narratives, like the BS claim last season that something was off with WF's football "culture" which led to transfers last season (when WF had fewer than almost any Power V school).

I’d be more than fine trading 1 year of CBS for 4 years of Claiborne if that is how it played out.

People with agendas prefer to create their own narratives, like the BS claim last season that something was off with WF's football "culture" which led to transfers last season (when WF had fewer than almost any Power V school).

Not that you were referring to me directly (or maybe you were), but I did wonder if Wake, as a school, had a problem when people like Walker, Sarr, Brown, and Newman transferred while Surratt, Dortch, D. Moore and Crawford (among others) turned pro without any guaranty of being drafted. That is a lot of talent to leave without a great reason to do so.

Fortunately, Wake has not had any other all-star level talent since Walker transfer. Greer, conceivably could fall into the that category by turning pro, but he has been so injured that he has not provided all-star level performance in a good while.

Back