• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 WF Football Transfers Thread

I liked DJ's athleticism for the position. The backup linebacker tag is a little gray. He was a starter as a Soph., and was on his way back from a major injury and ascending over the year. I thought he was one of the top 2 in the unit.

Yeah, he was an on again, off again contributor. I would have thought he could get significant PT next year.

One linebacker off the board. Drew Sanders from Alabama to Arkansas.

i'm sure having a new DC is part of it, but things are reaaaal slow on the portal side from what i can tell. still one scholarship over 85 which i suspect will also shake out soon. (meanwhile, twitter is blowing up with HS recruits getting offered -- though looks like mostly offense).

i'm sure having a new DC is part of it, but things are reaaaal slow on the portal side from what i can tell. still one scholarship over 85 which i suspect will also shake out soon. (meanwhile, twitter is blowing up with HS recruits getting offered -- though looks like mostly offense).

The big batch of HS offers is for guys who will arrive at Wake in '23 and mostly redshirt that year. Portal is all about immediate help in a few spots for the 22 season.

The big batch of HS offers is for guys who will arrive at Wake in '23 and mostly redshirt that year. Portal is all about immediate help in a few spots for the 22 season.

right, was just saying that the activity on hs recruiting makes the lack of movement on portal guys (and general roster construction) a bit more noticeable. that said, i know we are still waiting on the coaching staff to get settled, so probably just an order of operations thing.

At this point, I would guess that they are going to wait until the post Spring practice portal wave hits to address it since classes have started. There will be plenty more who are not happy with their current situation in the Summer. There will also be far more clarity on the scholarship situation at that point as there will likely have a few outgoing as well. I'm thinking they just didn't see that many good fits in this window and missed on the ones they did like. Better to have them in the Spring to get to work with the coaches earlier obviously, but at least they will be defensive players where scheme is far more translatable from school to school than it would be for our offense.

right, was just saying that the activity on hs recruiting makes the lack of movement on portal guys (and general roster construction) a bit more noticeable. that said, i know we are still waiting on the coaching staff to get settled, so probably just an order of operations thing.

It's also strongly a function of Wake absolutely will have open scholarships for players arriving in fall 23 and 24. And offers to HS guys are not guaranteed to be accepted.

Wake has no open spots for fall 22 as I type this. That has to change before another portal guy can be brought in. The change may not happen until spring practice or even graduation. Clawson and Wake have a general policy of having open scholarships before announcing incoming players.

It's also strongly a function of Wake absolutely will have open scholarships for players arriving in fall 23 and 24. And offers to HS guys are not guaranteed to be accepted.

Wake has no open spots for fall 22 as I type this. That has to change before another portal guy can be brought in. The change may not happen until spring practice or even graduation. Clawson and Wake have a general policy of having open scholarships before announcing incoming players.

yeah, i agree. we do have one public offer out to jaeger bull, although my guess is he will commit once the scholly situation works itself out -- but we also did enroll kobie turner despite not having the scholarships in order.

either way, i'm kinda surprised it's been taking this long, but like i said my hypothesis is the coaching staff needs to be finalized and have time to evaluate the players, so suspect BBDeac's guess is right as far as timeline. still, would have thought we'd have more offers out public than the one to jaeger bull. hope we don't miss a window, but i suspect BB is also right about there being a lot of talent available in the spring, as well.

Portal guys are far less likely than HS recruits to do the whole "Blessed to receive an offer from XXX #AGTG" social media post. I assume because they've already been through the circus once and building hype for recruiting websites and rankings is far less important when there is actual college tape out there. So we may have made a bunch more offers out that just weren't/aren't public.

They also know there aren't a lot of slots for transfers and more players enter the portal all the time. They probably don't want to advertise getting offers that may be off the table minutes later.

good points -- i probably spend too much time following the rivals transfer portal twitter account which focuses on the guys doing the public offer announcements (granted, that is how we found out about kobie turner and jaeger bull)

Back