• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinese Government Successfully Used Cloud Seeding Technology

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2...e-clear-skies-for-political-celebration-study

China ‘modified’ the weather to create clear skies for political celebration – study
Researchers say Beijing used cloud-seeding to create artificial rain and lower pollution in July, in latest example of ‘blueskying’ efforts

Chinese weather authorities successfully controlled the weather ahead of a major political celebration earlier this year, according to a Beijing university study.
On 1 July the Chinese Communist party marked its centenary with major celebrations including tens of thousands of people at a ceremony in Tiananmen Square, and a research paper from Tsinghua University has said an extensive cloud-seeding operation in the hours prior ensured clear skies and low air pollution…

so the chinese fuck up some clouds and now amazon's shit doesn't work

thanks, democrats

why not use this for something useful like creating snow in montana this week

Instead of buying a sun shade/sail thing or big umbrella - I can just have my own private cloud give me shade in my backyard? That would be awesome.

Instead of buying a sun shade/sail thing or big umbrella - I can just have my own private cloud give me shade in my backyard? That would be awesome.

charlie-brown.gif

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/qatar-stole-artificial-cloud-idea-simpsons-205955835.html

Qatar stole its artificial cloud idea from The Simpsons

The head of mechanical and industrial engineering at Qatar University announced plans this week to develop an "artificial cloud" that will be positioned in the sky to provide shade and help reduce the heat in stadiums for the 2022 World Cup. The incredible plan has made news around the world with many wondering how Qatar University could come up with such a fantastical concept. Well, it didn't. The Simpsons did.

In the legendary two-part 1995 episode entitled "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" nefarious power plant owner C. Montgomery Burns devises a plan to create a giant shield that will block the sun and keep Springfield in perpetual darkness. Springfield's wacky residents soon turn on Mr. Burns and the mystery of his shooting ensues. So, as Globoesporte points out, while Qatar may have added their own twist by making the artificial cloud remote controlled, the core idea is clearly ripped from a 16-year-old cartoon.

Even the idea of ripping off this idea isn't original, though. In 2002, South Park did an entire episode called "The Simpsons Already Did It" where Butters a.k.a. Professor Chaos plots to build a large structure to block out the sun (video clip here). But even Butters realizes the it isn't worth building once he's told that The Simpsons already did it. Apparently Qatar hasn't gotten that far yet.

i thought it was old man shouts at cloud reference

Probably should be spelled "clowd", same as "crowd".

Back