• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Electric Vehicles

What kind of car do you need? Sedan, SUV, pick up?

The most common non-Tesla EV out there is the crossover SUV. Good options from VW, Ford, and Audi out currently. In the next couple years there will be more SUV and truck options coming.

Every EV comes with a level 1 charging cord, which you can plug into any regular outlet. It’ll charge the car pretty slowly (adding 3-4 miles of range per hour). Depending on your driving habits that may be enough for you. Most people get an electrician to install a 240V outlet in the garage on a dedicated circuit for a level 2 charger. Depending on how much copper wire you need to run from the outlet to your panel box this could run a couple hundred to a thousand bucks. Level 2 charging units are 400-600 bucks generally depending on how many “smart” features you want with it.

For daily driving around town charging at home at night is sufficient. If you leave town regularly, I recommend plugging your route into the website A Better Route Planner to see how your trip would do with charging.

The Tesla gets about 6 mph plugged into the wall. We never bothered trying to add a 240 outlet since that is largely sufficient for our office commute.

I guess I disagree on the “stylistic abomination” part Henry but if it makes you feel better we made it even sillier looking with aftermarket roof bars.

Overall the Tesla is a very fun car to drive, although I can’t wait till some of the cool features start failing and they’ll cost a mint and a special trip to the dealer to fix with proprietary materials. Fortunately in that case we still have my beat-it-to-death Subaru.

My full-size Bronco finally showed up a few weeks ago after almost a year and half, and it is badass. So far I'm getting about 16mpg. Suck my tailpipe, hippies.

I've got a Mach E AWD Extended Range. I've had it since April, and I love it. That's my work vehicle. One thing you should know: colder weather significantly affects range, but that's true of any EV. In the spring and summer, I had a range very in line with Ford's EPA estimate of 270 miles for my model. But since it's gotten colder, that's more like 200 at best. But in general, Ford's estimates of range seem to be far more realistic than Tesla's, which I've heard can be overly optimistic.

@ 2&2, I also took delivery of my Bronco on 12/3 after being a first night reservation holder. As you say, it is quite badass. I've got a four-door OBX, 2.7L, MIC top in Area 51. Are you on the 6G forums?

Jack Bauer, comin in hot!

24-jack-bauer.gif

I've got a Mach E AWD Extended Range. I've had it since April, and I love it. That's my work vehicle. One thing you should know: colder weather significantly affects range, but that's true of any EV. In the spring and summer, I had a range very in line with Ford's EPA estimate of 270 miles for my model. But since it's gotten colder, that's more like 200 at best. But in general, Ford's estimates of range seem to be far more realistic than Tesla's, which I've heard can be overly optimistic.

@ 2&2, I also took delivery of my Bronco on 12/3 after being a first night reservation holder. As you say, it is quite badass. I've got a four-door OBX, 2.7L, MIC top in Area 51. Are you on the 6G forums?

I am actually. I got mine just before Thanksgiving. Four-door Black Diamond, 2.7L, Cactus Grey with MGV and soft top.

hopefully your Bronco engines last longer than my 2017 Escape's. Needed a new engine after about 65,000 miles and I said fuck that and traded it in for an Outback. Was an issue they had recalled the 2013-15s on, and had been still having it with the 16s and 17s. guy at the dealer told me he had 4 17s in the shop awaiting new engines when we brought it in.

I own a 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E AWD Extended Range and a 2020 Chevy Bolt. On the PHEV front, I have also owned a 2017 Chevy Volt and a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander.

If you have any questions about any of those vehicles or EVs/PHEVs in general, I'm happy to try to answer them.

What is it like road-tripping in an EV with respect to making stops to recharge? Do you plan routes differently? Ever have trouble getting plugged in right away? What do you do with the kids if you're making an extended stop (> 15 minutes)?

What is it like road-tripping in an EV with respect to making stops to recharge? Do you plan routes differently? Ever have trouble getting plugged in right away? What do you do with the kids if you're making an extended stop (> 15 minutes)?

I've taken the EV on easy road trips (about 3-4 hrs away) plus the 600 mile trip to bring it back home. I use the aforementioned A Better Route Planner to map out my charging stops. The interstates are covered pretty well with Electrify America chargers, so it's the same route that google maps would take me anyway. Generally I am only stopping and charging for 15-20 minutes at a time, especially now in the ID4 because it charges a lot more quickly when the battery is <50% charge. I luckily have not had a stop longer than 20 minutes or so with the kids, but the Electrify America chargers are always at a place like Walmart or Sheetz, so we can at least go in and use the bathroom (which with kids can take a while) and grab some snacks.

There is a learning curve to it, but it helped me prior to the 600 mile trip to watch some Youtube videos of EV road trips from a channel called Out of Spec Motoring. Had some good tips on managing charging stops.

I've taken the EV on easy road trips (about 3-4 hrs away) plus the 600 mile trip to bring it back home. I use the aforementioned A Better Route Planner to map out my charging stops. The interstates are covered pretty well with Electrify America chargers, so it's the same route that google maps would take me anyway. Generally I am only stopping and charging for 15-20 minutes at a time, especially now in the ID4 because it charges a lot more quickly when the battery is <50% charge. I luckily have not had a stop longer than 20 minutes or so with the kids, but the Electrify America chargers are always at a place like Walmart or Sheetz, so we can at least go in and use the bathroom (which with kids can take a while) and grab some snacks.

There is a learning curve to it, but it helped me prior to the 600 mile trip to watch some Youtube videos of EV road trips from a channel called Out of Spec Motoring. Had some good tips on managing charging stops.

How does payment work with the various network of chargers - do you have to have an account with each charging station type or can you show up and swipe a card?

The answer depends a bit on where you live, what car you are driving, and how long the road trip is.

First, in terms of charging on road trips, there are two categories of networks: Tesla and everyone else. Only Teslas can use the Tesla network and everyone else (sorry Nissan Leaf) is on a common standard called CCS.

In most places in the U.S., Tesla has a better network. In a few spots, the CCS network is better.

Second, the car matters, and not just in terms of range. Different cars have different peak charging speeds and different overall charging curves. For instance, my Bolt only charges at 50kw, while my Mustang Mach-E will get up to 150kw. In practical terms, that means the Bolt takes a lot longer to charge.

Third, the longer the road trip is, the more annoying it is to drive an electric car as every stop will be longer than a comparable gas stop. In the Carolinas, most of the faster CCS charges are next to Walmarts or Sams Clubs, so we typically go in and buy some snacks, use the bathroom, etc. You can also go get some food just before you plug in and eat while you're plugged in.

tldr; range and charging speed determine how often and how long you need to stop. Stops aren't that bad so long as you're not driving for 12+ hours.

How does payment work with the various network of chargers - do you have to have an account with each charging station type or can you show up and swipe a card?

Some of them let you show up and swipe a card, some require you to have an account and use your phone to activate the charger. It sucks! But that's where the planning out can help, if you know where you're going to be stopping you can download the apps prior to your trip and have it ready to go. In reality there's only like 3-4 charging networks you'll use (ChargePoint, Electrify America, EVGo, and SEMA Connect) so it's kind of annoying to manage but not impossible.

Also helps to always check out reviews of the charger on PlugShare prior to your trip to make sure they're in good working order.

The longest we’ve gone is 3 hrs and that’s with a Tesla supercharger halfway. It’s kinda lame twiddling your thumbs waiting the 20 mins or so to get enough charge as it goes against my dad nature of minimal stops but it gets the kids and dogs outside to get out some energy.

Up till now supercharger has been free for the first year so that’s been a handy perk.

For most longer or more remote trips we’ll just take the Subaru since it can hold more shit anyway. That was the intended balance anyway, one is the commuter car and the other can haul more shit.

I'd like to get an EV at somepoint so thanks for answering all the questions - it's very helpful.

Right now we're driving:

1989 Land Cruiser (155K, recreation vehicle)
1998 Land Cruiser (220K, family hauler and rec vehicle)
2016 Highlander (44K, family hauler / town car)

The 98 cruiser is our main adventure vehicle and plays a big part in supporting our lifestyle. The high lander is the everyday / road trip vehicle. I like the Rivian trucks and would consider replacing the land cruiser with something that was 4x4 and could support our off-pavement adventures. On the other hand, it might make sense to replace the High Lander with an EV - something we'd drive day-to-day around town, on road trips, etc. If we replaced the highlander, I'd be looking for something with a lot of range and AWD to help offset travel during inclement weather and with the terrain in Colorado. I see Teslas at the ski resorts all season, so clearly people aren't having any trouble driving them up and down the mountains in Winter.

Why's the mustang mach E gotta be so ugly

Sorry I’m an a-hole for starting this and not checking back in. Does seem like a bunch of stuff is about to hit. Sorry 06 I’m sure your roof rack looks swaggy. I actually like the Riv a lot might wait for that or their SUV version. I’m a tall dude so no Mini Cooper or sedans for me.

Road trip advice is interesting

Back