• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Electric Vehicles

And I see they've topped taking reservations after over 200,000 - crazy.

I just can't get over the size/appearance of the f150 lightning (still looks pretty basic, not really a huge fan of ford trucks in general though).

I like the rivian more (because I think it does a better job of re-imagining what an EV truck can do) but hate the idea of plopping that kinda cash down on a first-run-from-a-new-manufacturer vehicle.

Teslas battery and charging infrastructure are years ahead of everyone else, but when it comes to the cars sitting on top of the batteries and the day to day driving experience, other manufacturers have caught up and surpassed Tesla.

Which cars are you talking about specifically?

Which cars are you talking about specifically?

Audi etron, Porsche taycan, the new BMWs coming out next year, hell even the ID4 and the Mach E are more preferable to certain people. Tesla has tight, sporty driving with an ultra minimalist interior and that is not everyone’s bag.

I just can't get over the size/appearance of the f150 lightning (still looks pretty basic, not really a huge fan of ford trucks in general though).

I like the rivian more (because I think it does a better job of re-imagining what an EV truck can do) but hate the idea of plopping that kinda cash down on a first-run-from-a-new-manufacturer vehicle.

Yeah, Ford's goal in designing the F150 lightning appeared to be to not make any waves. The F150 is the best selling vehicle in the U.S. If you like a normal F150, the lightning is a better version of it in almost all respects (yes, I hear you, Mr. I need to tow a boat 750 miles, through the mountains every day).

The power frunk is a really great design though. Having the entire front grill open (as opposed to the way Rivian designed theirs) seems to be much more practical.

Audi etron, Porsche taycan, the new BMWs coming out next year, hell even the ID4 and the Mach E are more preferable to certain people. Tesla has tight, sporty driving with an ultra minimalist interior and that is not everyone’s bag.

That's fair. I'm a big fan of the minimalist interiors. Also a big fan of being about to like...go on a trip.

Yeah, Ford's goal in designing the F150 lightning appeared to be to not make any waves. The F150 is the best selling vehicle in the U.S. If you like a normal F150, the lightning is a better version of it in almost all respects (yes, I hear you, Mr. I need to tow a boat 750 miles, through the mountains every day).

The power frunk is a really great design though. Having the entire front grill open (as opposed to the way Rivian designed theirs) seems to be much more practical.

Yep, the frunk is definitely the biggest winner on the f150, thing looks huuuge. OTOH I love what Rivian did with the gear tunnel on their platform, that makes up for their smaller front trunk design for me.

I really want a mid-size EV truck, and Rivian pretty much the only one in that category right now. So I think I'm just gonna sit until that's 1) actually out there a little more or 2) there are other options. Looking at some PHEV vehicles in the meantime, would love it if I could find a rav4 prime, possibly thinking about the crosstrek that has the plug-in too. I was long-shot considering maybe something like the Maverick to bridge the gap but don't think you can get the hybrid in AWD/4WD, which is a bummer.

Yep, the frunk is definitely the biggest winner on the f150, thing looks huuuge. OTOH I love what Rivian did with the gear tunnel on their platform, that makes up for their smaller front trunk design for me.

I really want a mid-size EV truck, and Rivian pretty much the only one in that category right now. So I think I'm just gonna sit until that's 1) actually out there a little more or 2) there are other options. Looking at some PHEV vehicles in the meantime, would love it if I could find a rav4 prime, possibly thinking about the crosstrek that has the plug-in too. I was long-shot considering maybe something like the Maverick to bridge the gap but don't think you can get the hybrid in AWD/4WD, which is a bummer.

Agreed, would love to see something tacoma/ranger sized that's fully electric.

Is battery tech going to keep up with the demand and the big automakers plans to go more electric in the near future? Seems like the resources to make the batteries are limited and that would either need to change drastically or the battery tech would have to use different, more readily available materials.

Is battery tech going to keep up with the demand and the big automakers plans to go more electric in the near future? Seems like the resources to make the batteries are limited and that would either need to change drastically or the battery tech would have to use different, more readily available materials.

Batteries (along with chips obviously) are definitely the bottleneck right now. Auto makers are pouring a ton of money into factories to ramp up production but it doesn’t happen overnight. There are also different chemistries coming down the line that are less reliant on difficult to obtain minerals like cobalt.

MSRP is less, but dealers are adding big mark ups. Also going to be limited supply to only certain states. If you can fine one locally and buy it at sticker price it’s a good deal.

FWIW, Been watching this thread. I purchased a '21 Volvo XC60 T-8 Recharge and Rav4 Prime XSE earlier this year. Have over 11K miles on the Volvo and 7K on the R4P. Both are great vehicles. The Volvo's battery is approx. 12kw and the EPA specs show 20 mile charge. I get a 21 mile charge on mine. Because of regenerative braking etc. I can frequently get 25-30 mile before the car reverts to hybrid. The R4P has a 18KW battery and is EPA rated at 42 miles. Over the Summer the car often charged to 55-56 miles. With colder weather, the mileage is now 46-48 miles. If you have questions on these or other PHEV's I will try to answer. Spend the Summer in the N.C. High country. Traveling from 3K elevation to around 1K my best range on the R4P before the ICE hybrid kicked in was 64 miles.

The new Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xE looks promising.

The Grand Cherokee 4xe is a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV). It pairs a turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine with an engine-mounted belt starter generator, an electric drive motor mounted between the engine and 8-speed automatic transmission, two battery packs supplying 17-kW of energy, and a regenerative braking system.

Grand Cherokee 4xe output measures 375 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque, and the electric driving range is an estimated 25 miles. After the battery reaches a minimum state of charge, it switches to gas-electric hybrid operation and offers a total of 440 miles of driving range (including electric-only travel). Jeep says the Grand Cherokee 4xe can tow 6,000 pounds.

Hybrid, Electric, and e-Save driving modes are available, with the latter saving battery charge for use in specific situations. There is a maximum regeneration function that can help to extend battery life, and the engine can actively recharge the battery while the Grand Cherokee 4xe is underway.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/new-ca...erokee-preview?make=Jeep&model=Grand-Cherokee

Back