• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Electric Vehicles

So how far away are we from gas stations widely adopting charging stations? It makes too much sense.

It’s happening now. Sheetz is one of the places with Electrify America chargers. I’ve stopped at several.

I’ve been to Tampa and Orlando from SC in the last month. I like the Electrify America chargers because of reliability and plug and charge capability. I tend to prefer the Walmart locations to something more exciting because they are easier to get in and out. That being said, the Florida Mall in Orlando has a good food court and is pretty nice. The Avenues Mall in Jax is more cramped, has fewer plugs, and is a more miserable experience.
Sweet. From the reviews I've seen, Electrify America stations are higher rated and preferred. It'll be right at 600 miles one way for us, so at an 80% charge, I'm thinking we'll need to stop 3 or 4 times on the way down.

So how far away are we from gas stations widely adopting charging stations? It makes too much sense.

The biggest challenge they have is that a typical gas fill up is 5 minutes or so. A typical electric fill up is more like 30 minutes. Travel plazas might have enough things to do/buy for 30 minutes but a small gas station wouldn’t.

Fast food makes a really good stop in terms of timing.

Sweet. From the reviews I've seen, Electrify America stations are higher rated and preferred. It'll be right at 600 miles one way for us, so at an 80% charge, I'm thinking we'll need to stop 3 or 4 times on the way down.

Check out the site A Better Route Planner to see how many charging stops you’d need. You can adjust settings like how much battery you want to arrive at each charger with, quicker charging vs fewer stops etc.

And you can definitely charge up to 100% for a road trip. The 80% guidance is just in a day to day basis.

Check out the site A Better Route Planner to see how many charging stops you’d need. You can adjust settings like how much battery you want to arrive at each charger with, quicker charging vs fewer stops etc.

And you can definitely charge up to 100% for a road trip. The 80% guidance is just in a day to day basis.
Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

I was basing 80% off the amount of time I'd want to stop each time. I'm thinking I can get to 80% in roughly 30 min before it slows down. Has that been your experience?

Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

I was basing 80% off the amount of time I'd want to stop each time. I'm thinking I can get to 80% in roughly 30 min before it slows down. Has that been your experience?

Yeah, all cars will slow down the charge above 80%. Check out some YouTube road trip videos with the Mach e to get an idea of the charging curve. Out of spec motoring is a good channel for this. Something I’ve done is only charge up to 50-60% or so to stay in the fastest part of the charging curve and give myself just enough range to get to the next charger.

Neighbor got himself a new electric Porsche Taycan to replace his Panamera and that thing is sweet.

So how does the charge cost / mile at one of these charging stations compare to gas cost / mile at a regular gas station? Unless you just ain't got shit to do, from this discussion it would seem that the more frequent stops and giant wastes of time associated with each stop would eat up the cost savings pretty quickly.

Agree that this changing crap sounds awful.

My friend loves his e-Audi but drives his wife’s car whenever he goes out of town.

So how does the charge cost / mile at one of these charging stations compare to gas cost / mile at a regular gas station? Unless you just ain't got shit to do, from this discussion it would seem that the more frequent stops and giant wastes of time associated with each stop would eat up the cost savings pretty quickly.

I do 95% of my charging at home. Road trips where I have to figure out charging stops are a very tiny part of my overall driving.

I pay 9 cents per kWh at home, and get about 3 miles per kWh, so 3 cents per mile. My car is comparable to a RAV4 or CRV, which average about 30 mpg. At 3.00 per gallon that’s 10 cents a mile. So approximately 7 cents saved per mile driven. 10,000 miles a year means 700 bucks saved. Not gigantic savings but not nothing.

Add in the fact that I never have to go to a gas station, and it takes me 10 seconds to plug the car in when I get home. Pretty easy on a day to day basis.

Also, EV”s have reduced range on the highway than in the city. The opposite of gas vehicles.

So far it’s been free for me to charge (Tesla).

It’s basically one extra stop per trip, like if I’d have needed to stop once for gas on a trip it’s 2 charge stops. Not ideal but if you plan your meals, bathroom stops etc around it then it’s less sitting around than you’d think.

And similarly I usually just drive this around the city so I charge at home

Yeah, worrying about road trips occupies an extremely small percentage of the total drive time. It is definitely less convenient than a gas car for a road trip though.

The entire rest of the time an EV is much more convenient.

What if you spend a couple of days a week driving around in the middle of nowhere in NC and SC and need to be on time to appointments ?

Yeah, worrying about road trips occupies an extremely small percentage of the total drive time. It is definitely less convenient than a gas car for a road trip though.

The entire rest of the time an EV is much more convenient.
Since we'd be taking a trip with a finite arrival time so soon after potentially getting the Mach-E, we'll probably keep the PEHV to use for the trip, then sell it upon our return.

The Mrs. bought her car in early 2021, and the current trade in price is near her original purchase price. We could come out of this break even while getting to use her car for a year and 30k miles.

What if you spend a couple of days a week driving around in the middle of nowhere in NC and SC and need to be on time to appointments ?

Why would I want to do that?

Seriously, though, it depends how far and where you’re driving. If it’s all non-interstate and you can’t charge at night, then an EV is probably a bad fit.

But seriously, if if have to drive to Fayetteville and make a couple of stops and then drive home, that would be a greater range than most EVs (not accounting for the highway miles). So I would have to go sit in the Walmart parking lot in Fayetteville or something for 30 minutes before I drive back. That is not at all efficient for me professionally or personally. And that's why my buddy with the e-Tron Audi SUV drives his wife's gas powered vehicle from the Triangle to Charlotte for day or overnight trips.

And I don't know if it's a consideration or not currently, but do you ever have to wait for a charging port ?

Back