• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Electric Vehicles

But seriously, if if have to drive to Fayetteville and make a couple of stops and then drive home, that would be a greater range than most EVs (not accounting for the highway miles). So I would have to go sit in the Walmart parking lot in Fayetteville or something for 30 minutes before I drive back. That is not at all efficient for me professionally or personally. And that's why my buddy with the e-Tron Audi SUV drives his wife's gas powered vehicle from the Triangle to Charlotte for day or overnight trips.

And I don't know if it's a consideration or not currently, but do you ever have to wait for a charging port ?

Overnight trips are easy. Just get a hotel with a charging station. Easy to find on PlugShare app. Day trips do need a charging stop. But I can make it round trip between Durham and Winston without having to stop and charge which is nice.

But the vast majority of people don’t have to drive that far daily with any kind of regularity. Sorry that you have to spend that much time in Fayetteville

But seriously, if if have to drive to Fayetteville and make a couple of stops and then drive home, that would be a greater range than most EVs (not accounting for the highway miles). So I would have to go sit in the Walmart parking lot in Fayetteville or something for 30 minutes before I drive back. That is not at all efficient for me professionally or personally. And that's why my buddy with the e-Tron Audi SUV drives his wife's gas powered vehicle from the Triangle to Charlotte for day or overnight trips.

And I don't know if it's a consideration or not currently, but do you ever have to wait for a charging port ?

Sounds like you should wait a little while before considering an EV. I never have to drive more than 300 miles round trip for work so isn't an issue for me. For personal road trips the charging breaks don't bother me at all, it's nice to get out and walk a little every few hours. Definitely slows you down a little. Adds about an hour to my drive from Denver to KC. Never had to wait for a port.

For those with "Range Anxiety" Link new Lexus NX-450 PHEV, This is the Rav4 Prime nomenclature with the Lexus upgrade. EPA rates R4P @ 42 miles. Lexus 36 miles. Same battery size. Additional weight is the difference. FWIW, Several Tesla owners and there are probably other BEV Mfg. owners carry a compact gasoline generator in their cars if they are traveling long distances for recharge if they should be in an area where the charger is inoperable or not available.

https://www.lexus.com/models/NX-PHEV

For those with "Range Anxiety" Link new Lexus NX-450 PHEV, This is the Rav4 Prime nomenclature with the Lexus upgrade. EPA rates R4P @ 42 miles. Lexus 36 miles. Same battery size. Additional weight is the difference. FWIW, Several Tesla owners and there are probably other BEV Mfg. owners carry a compact gasoline generator in their cars if they are traveling long distances for recharge if they should be in an area where the charger is inoperable or not available.

https://www.lexus.com/models/NX-PHEV

Any idea how many driving miles a gallon of gas burned in the generator charging the vehicle gets?

I have a Rav4 Prime and it has the charge/hold feature on the console. I learned much about the nuances of this car from monitoring sites dedicated to the R4P and other PHEV's including on where and how to purchase. I recently drove from Tampa to the Lowcountry SC and got little over 41mpg. EPA rates 38 and change I believe. Difference could have been I got about 50 miles of EV on the trip and I averaged around 75mph. I did not use the Charge/Hold feature on the trip so that is why I got the higher mpg. When I drove to Fl. on Christmas day I averaged about 34mpg. With less traffic I was able to cruise low 80's. I used the Charge/Hold feature to recharge the battery before I got in the Tampa metro area. In terms of the number of miles it takes to charge using the ICE, I would estimate 45-50 miles needed to max. charge. The charge/hold feature will use more fuel and will build your EV charge to 80% of battery capacity. This is useful as the best use of a PHEV is in city driving. Freeway driving above 65mph tends to deplete the battery quicker.

So, we just placed an order for a 2022 Mustang Mach E. It should be here in roughly 20 weeks.

There's a 2021 Mach E GT that is coming into the dealership this week, and the guy who ordered it is most likely going to back out, and we've been given first dibs if he does. Totally possible we may have one by next weekend.
Got an email this week that there was a fuck up with the site and the order that we watched the salesman place right in front of us did not go through. So Ford suggested we order it online and designate the dealer we want it to go to. Then this morning the Mrs. showed me an article stating that Mach-E production is being halted due to a lack of computer chips, similar to the Lightning pause.

To add, the guy ended up taking the GT he ordered, so it's almost like we're not destined to get a Mach E.

Got an email this week that there was a fuck up with the site and the order that we watched the salesman place right in front of us did not go through. So Ford suggested we order it online and designate the dealer we want it to go to. Then this morning the Mrs. showed me an article stating that Mach-E production is being halted due to a lack of computer chips, similar to the Lightning pause.

To add, the guy ended up taking the GT he ordered, so it's almost like we're not destined to get a Mach E.

Fuuuu, I was gonna ask if you'd gotten lucky w/ the GT order or not. That's a bummer.

Fuuuu, I was gonna ask if you'd gotten lucky w/ the GT order or not. That's a bummer.

We saw pics when it came in, that car was gorgeous. Looks like we're probably going to be on hold with an EV for the moment. The Mrs. really likes the Rivian SUV.

I can see someone having an all electric car as a 2nd car but I can't imagine having to rely on an all electric vehicle as my only source of transportation. I currently have a hybrid. It gets good mileage and I have zero anxiety going anywhere or worrying about going ANYWHERE on a moments notice. But then again I'm old.
Are people who live in apartments or condo screwed or do you run a honkin' extension cord through your window? Or maybe you schedule time to go by a charging station 2-3 times a week?

And lots of older apartments add charging stations when they do renovations, usually as part of a sale to a new owner.

Any new opinions or insights since last year?
lots of manufacturers are supply constrained.

Chevy Bolt EV/EUV are probably best value on the market today. They aggressively priced those things. Biggest problem is their DC fast charging speed is a lot slower compared to other manufacturers. Saw some 2022 VW ID4s on the lot today when I took mine in for 20K mile service. They were $2000 under MSRP, but I think they do not quality for the $7500 tax credit since they weren't made in the USA.

Hyundai just announced pricing for the Ioniq 6, their sedan. Looks like it'll be good. Chevy says the Blazer, Equinox, and Silverado EVs will be coming out this year.

Saw an F150 Lightning at a charger the other day after the basketball game. That thing is dope.

It doesn't looke like this will catch on. Back to the drawing board.

Do people expect EV ranges to grow significantly in the next few years?

Back