• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT - It's Coming Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I be surprised that John Stockton is a fucking moron?

I feel like you should revoke my country mouse card because I don't have some old white trash home remedy for tick invasion.

I mean, I guess you could let an opossum live in your house for a while. They sometimes get into my trash but they eat a lot of ticks.

Trap an opossum and make it your tree topper.

I really enjoyed Station 11. Hope the miniseries is good.

I read Station Eleven during the early pandemic and it was great. A little too close to real life at that particular moment in time though. Just finished The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles and it was super entertaining with quite a surprising ending.

I forgot The Curious Incident of the Dog in Night-Time. That might be my favorite read this year.

Starting to feel that low grade crappiness and achiness from the booster. Every minute is absolutely dragging right now.

Anybody have a recommendation for a bar in Winston. My brother is looking for one. Single dude in his 30s.

Yes because he exudes nerdy white guy vibes.

Nerdy? I've never gotten that vibe from him. He's basically the 80s/90s white version of CP3, a sneaky, ruthless babyface.

Not exactly Winston but if he’s open to a drive there’s a great hole in the wall place called Mako’s Mom’s House that a lot of posters frequent. More of a late night destination but terrific hospitality.

Not exactly Winston but if he’s open to a drive there’s a great hole in the wall place called Mako’s Mom’s House that a lot of posters frequent. More of a late night destination but terrific hospitality.

there's definitely a hole in the wall there, don't even have to go inside

The last week of school before Christmas break is the shittiest I eat all year. I'm going to ask for gift cards or donations to the Humane Society in my name on the syllabus next year because all the candy and homemade pies, brownies, and cookies I get are gonna give me the sugars.

maybe don't show up in your sweatpants and you'll get treated like a high roller

Anybody have a recommendation for a bar in Winston. My brother is looking for one. Single dude in his 30s.

single bros still a thing i hope

for cocktails, my fair witness

feel like we go to breweries more than bars these days when I am in town.. incendiary or joyners or wiseman or fiddlin'

Decagon House Murders is incredible. It was just translated into English and put back into print/circulation this past year. It’s a homage to Agatha Christie and the genre.

Story of Your Life is a short story collection that contains the story that turned into the movie “Arrival,” and some other really outstanding stories. He’s the best scifi short story guy alive today I think. I’d read everything he read if you haven’t already.

Anyone read Station 11? I started reading it a few years ago and stopped pretty early on for some reason (not because I didn't like it), and now there's a show based on it getting really good reviews, so I am thinking about picking it up again.

Anyone read Station 11? I started reading it a few years ago and stopped pretty early on for some reason (not because I didn't like it), and now there's a show based on it getting really good reviews, so I am thinking about picking it up again.

Yeah we talked about this last page I think. I really enjoyed it. Keep on it.

Favorite books you’ve read this year?

I think my five favs in no order were:

The Decagon House Murders - Yukito Ayatsuji
Story of Your Life - Ted Chiang
A Painted House - John Grisham
The Secret History - Donna Tartt
How Much of These Hills is Gold - C Pam Zhang

With a couple weeks left in the year I surpassed my 52 books goal, including 23 Stephen Kings. Of King books my favorite three were:

The Dark Half
Desperation
Four Past Midnight

The Beast: Riding the Rails and Dodging Narcos on the Migrant Trail - Oscar Martinez
Beyond the Sky and the Earth: A Journey Into Bhutan - Jamie Zeppa
Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History - S.C. Gwynne
The Premonition: A Pandemic Story - Michael Lewis
Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family - Robert Kolker
Chasing the Thrill: Obsession, Death, and Glory in America's Most Extraordinary Treasure Hunt - Daniel Barbarisi
Facing the Mountain: A True Story of Japanese American Heroes in World War II - Daniel James Brown
Border: A Journey to the Edge of Europe - Kapka Kassabova
Memorial Drive: A Daughter's Memoir - Natasha Trethewey

Those are 9 that standout for me. I worked in a few works of fiction by Khaled Hosseini, William Kent Krueger, and (re-read) Hemingway (short stories).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back