• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Draft Deacs | Zach Tom Only Deac Invited to Combine

The East Team receivers coach is Panthers assistant Alonso Escalante. So, he gets an in depth look at what Roberson can do.

Is Roberson playing? Haven’t read anything about him during workouts and he’s recovering from knee surgery.

Ja'Sir Taylor started for the West squad. Roberson and Tom didn't start for the East.

I'm barely paying attention to it on my tablet. Taylor had a 3rd down stop on the first position. Just made a nice TFL on a running back. Just stuck him. So that's a least two tackles for him.

No Roberson or Tom so far at halftime. The commentators like Taylor. Said the defensive coaches like him as a nickel. He started on the outside and moved inside.

Last edited:
Anyone know for sure the status of Roberson? Did he play at all last night or possibly not fully ready from his recent surgery and only did limited work during practices to at least get some face time for NFL coaches and scouts?

I didn’t see him or Tom play or dressed out on the sidelines. Neither was mentioned in any reports I saw from the week either.

I saw some work from Tom at Center on video on Twitter.

Here ya go.

Only Zach Tom was invited to the combine. Thought we had a few borderline guys but definitely surprised about Roberson's absence

I believe Roberson had surgery after the ACCCG. Doubt he's ready to play or even test at the combine.

I don't usually feel this way but it does seem like another season at Wake would benefit Roberson if his only goal is playing in the NFL

don't think the extra year of age outweighs the total lack of exposure/momentum right now

but who knows his priorities and I defs hope it works out for him

based on robersons single emoji tweet after the rosters were announced, not sure the injury stuff was a factor

Combine invites are always a sobering reminder, at least IMO, of how difficult it is to break into the league. Every year there are at least a couple of WF guys I'm anywhere from mildly surprised to shocked that they're not invited.

There are a loooooooooooooooootttttttttta good receivers in college football these days.

By quick review, prior to Roberson, Wake has had 4 receivers during the Clawson era who both would be considered at least good and also made an attempt to play in the pros.

1.Dortch
2.Bachman
3.Washington
4.Surratt

Those guys have combined for exactly 3 receptions in the NFL (all by Dortch, all this year) Bachman is the only other guy to record any stats (1 rush for -3, 4 KR, and 1 PR).

Given how great Surratt and Dortch looked in college (and to a lesser degree Washington and Bachman), maybe there is something to the fact that Wake's offense just creates a ton of easy looks for WRs. Wonder what it would look like if we actually got a future pro to play in the offense. Maybe the kid from Millbrook will be that guy.

You left out Hinton who had actually had the most success.

It’s a reasonable hypothesis to think we have system WRs. Dortch and Surratt had obvious flaws (size and speed) that I’m not sure holds for the current crop of receivers though.

Back