• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Coaching Search Thread - BRAD LAMBERT IS COMING HOME

Isn't the Rover position supposed to be a hybrid type guy? Demetrius Kemp and Thomas Brown? seemed to do really well for a while. Quincy Bryant and Garnes seem like they would be perfect for that role. I was always under the impression that spot was meant for a guy that was maybe 10-15 pounds too light for linebacker, but could run well enough to cover the flats and still contain the edge on the field side or be used as a QB spy. Seems like the last couple of years it has been used more as just the 3rd string safety or a hybrid safety/corner.

Rover position will likely be phased out/eliminated since Lambert has always run a traditional 4-3 rather than the 4-2-5 we have been in since Clawson arrived. Problem is we don’t really have enough LBs and are now kinda overloaded with safety types so we will have to see what Lambert’s plan for that is particularly in the first year. We already needed another LB from the portal before this.

I understand that coaches have to play things down-the-middle when it comes to promising playing time and starting rotations. But, at this point, if I'm Clawson and can land a stud LB, I just straight-up tell him he's going to start. We desperately need LB's.

This is a solid hire.

Hit transfer portal.

Get Garnes back healthy.

Cancel Army game to eternity (fire that contract into the sun) as and we are CONTENDAHS.

Rover position will likely be phased out/eliminated since Lambert has always run a traditional 4-3 rather than the 4-2-5 we have been in since Clawson arrived. Problem is we don’t really have enough LBs and are now kinda overloaded with safety types so we will have to see what Lambert’s plan for that is particularly in the first year. We already needed another LB from the portal before this.

And there aren't a lot of linebackers in the portal. The top rated one just committed to UCF. D.J. Taylor is one of the top five in the portal.

And there aren't a lot of linebackers in the portal. The top rated one just committed to UCF. D.J. Taylor is one of the top five in the portal.

Yep, even if we get a LB from the portal that’s still a net of 0 since Taylor left. Now Taylor may be much more willing to return with basically a whole new position opening up to him for playing time, but then we probably still need 1 more. Also the numbers are super tight so how much room is there scholarship wise? Possible that a safety sees 3 positions turn into 2 and enters the portal to open up a spot? May be something that gets addressed after spring practice in the Summer transfer window once Lambert has had time on the field to evaluate where the LB and S positions stand.

Out of necessity, Wake may have to play a safety out of position as a small linebacker.

Doesn’t even have to invest in new gold and black ties for the public appearances.

This is a great hire IMO. Also links a lot of the old guys back closely to the program. Awesome.

There are definitely some guys we are looking at. I imagine we get at least 1 in the portal, which makes up for loss of Taylor. As of now, our only LB's with any experience are Smenda, Chase Jones and Chase Monroe. It's not a given Monroe will be able to stay healthy. Quincey Bryant looks to have a lot of raw potential to work with.

DJ Taylor entered the transfer portal? I must have missed that. Re: Garnes, he needs to be somewhere on the field. If that is as an undersized LB, he likely will be an improvement over existing alternatives.

Yep, even if we get a LB from the portal that’s still a net of 0 since Taylor left. Now Taylor may be much more willing to return with basically a whole new position opening up to him for playing time, but then we probably still need 1 more. Also the numbers are super tight so how much room is there scholarship wise? Possible that a safety sees 3 positions turn into 2 and enters the portal to open up a spot? May be something that gets addressed after spring practice in the Summer transfer window once Lambert has had time on the field to evaluate where the LB and S positions stand.

Our problem at LB isn't bodies, it's talent. DJ Taylor doesn't solve the latter unfortunately.

Regardless, tough to imagine any ACC team not playing five DBs these days given the pass-heavy spread offenses. From what I can gather, the bigger question is whether we play this hybrid 4-3 / 3-4 that I've read about with three down linemen and one edge rushing LB. I thiiink that's kinda close to what our concept was in theory with the drop-end position.

Interesting to not hear any news on James Adams. Perhaps we want to give Lambert time to evaluate the current assistants (given we don't have room to keep all of them and add Adams).

Interesting to not hear any news on James Adams. Perhaps we want to give Lambert time to evaluate the current assistants (given we don't have room to keep all of them and add Adams).

I am not going to sweat Adams until sometime after the formal announcement of Lambert. Give him a few days on the ground to evaluate what he has. Then he and Clawson can make other changes in position coaches.

Have it on relatively good authority that Adams is coming as well. Super pumped that we hired Lambert and can't wait to see how we transform our defense.

Re: our current players and how we plan to utilize them...I'd love to see Garnes as a LB. He hits hard and has great closing speed...a combination that our LB unit hasn't had in years. Going from DB to LB has to be pretty damn hard, though.

With that said, our D-Line should be solid still and I'm actually high on some of our younger secondary players. We need to stay healthy there and we really need Greer to get healthy and stay that way...he's makes such a huge difference when he's playing.

Our LB unit is the issue as many have been saying. I'd be surprised if some guys came back from that group, or I could see us encouraging a few others to look elsewhere so we can have a scholarship available for a grad transfer LB and/or some stud LBs with 2-3 years of eligibility left.

The future is very bright. Go Deacs!

Those Purdue and Marshall stats in the press release were very interesting. Purdue is one of those programs that seems stronger than they really are. I didn't realize Marshall had the top defense in the nation two years ago.

I agree with others that I wouldn't expect an Adams announcement the same day as the Lambert official announcement, but I'd expect something on Friday or Monday.

Back