• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Coaching Search Thread - BRAD LAMBERT IS COMING HOME

It would probably be smart for Clawson to check in with all the alums in the coaching ranks at all levels.

It would probably be smart for Clawson to check in with all the alums in the coaching ranks at all levels.

i don’t disagree but my guess is clawson is gonna value his own network way more than guys with previous wake connections. eg we have fond memories of guys like hood and lambert but for clawson they really are no different than any other DC. if the connection is a way for us to land a guy like brad white who otherwise would have no interest, that’s obviously a good thing. but after the sawvel debacle i suspect clawsons gonna wanna bring on someone he has some connection with.

Sure. But it’s a good practice in general for Clawson to stay in touch with alums particularly those in coaching.

Sure. But it’s a good practice in general for Clawson to stay in touch with alums particularly those in coaching.

Sure. Check with Josh Gattis. Maybe he wants to come back to Wake and switch to defense.😉

i don’t disagree but my guess is clawson is gonna value his own network way more than guys with previous wake connections. eg we have fond memories of guys like hood and lambert but for clawson they really are no different than any other DC. if the connection is a way for us to land a guy like brad white who otherwise would have no interest, that’s obviously a good thing. but after the sawvel debacle i suspect clawsons gonna wanna bring on someone he has some connection with.

I think Lambert would fall in the same bucket as White. He is a successful DC at a Big Ten program. Not sure we have an in with someone like that unless they wanna come back to NC.

I think Lambert would fall in the same bucket as White. He is a successful DC at a Big Ten program. Not sure we have an in with someone like that unless they wanna come back to NC.

He's making 500k. What do we offer our DC? Surely being in NC beats the hell out of Indiana - but I'm biased I suppose

I think there is a big difference between some candidates mentioned here. Someone who used to coach at WF along with many other places has no reason to make a lateral move. They may have fond memories of WF but it was just a job (Lambert for instance). White is different (and Gattis but he’s an OC). An alum could actually want to return to a school for different reasons.

I think there is a big difference between some candidates mentioned here. Someone who used to coach at WF along with many other places has no reason to make a lateral move. They may have fond memories of WF but it was just a job (Lambert for instance). White is different (and Gattis but he’s an OC). An alum could actually want to return to a school for different reasons.

Lambert coached and lived in North Carolina for 18 years and in Georgia for four years before that. He's only been the DC at Purdue for one season after spending two seasons at Marshall. I could certainly see the draw that coming back to North Carolina would have. But then again, I've never been to West Lafayette, Indiana so maybe being the DC in the Big Ten West is where he wants to be.

Lambert coached and lived in North Carolina for 18 years and in Georgia for four years before that. He's only been the DC at Purdue for one season after spending two seasons at Marshall. I could certainly see the draw that coming back to North Carolina would have. But then again, I've never been to West Lafayette, Indiana so maybe being the DC in the Big Ten West is where he wants to be.

He’s from bumfuck Kansas and went to Kansas State. He may like an area like that.

West Lafayette is actually pretty cool place. Largely a college town like chapel hill but less brick and trees, and more limestone

West Lafayette is actually pretty cool place. Largely a college town like chapel hill but less brick and trees, and more limestone

Purdue has lots of brick too. I think you may be confusing west Lafayette with Bloomington which has lots of limestone. However the lack of trees is accurate. I know a lot of people who went to Purdue and more that went to IU. You don’t move to West Lafayette for the environment.

https://godeacs.com/news/2021/12/19/football-lyle-hemphill-accepts-coaching-position-at-duke.aspx

"During this transition, our staff will collectively fill his role as Wake Forest's defensive coordinator as we prepare for a talented Texas A&M team in the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl on New Year's Eve."

Coach Clawson will begin a comprehensive national search for the Demon Deacons next defensive coordinator immediately.

We are going to designate a defensive playcaller for the Gator Bowl, right? Maybe take turns as a tryout? Does seem like it means the DC is coming from outside the building though.

“comprehensive national search”

That’s very encouraging.

Lots of candidates out there. Example: Blake Baker out at LSU. One year in Baton Rouge- so not tainted by Orgeron's demise really. Did a great job with the linebackers once Ed totally quit and let his coaches work without his meddling. Was Miami DC before. Very good recruiter. Every good HC keeps a list- Clawson had to see this possibility and he is an exceptional coach, so I am confident he has a list and a plan. With signing day gone, he also has time. Excited to have defensive change coming

are you referring to Curry?

For those who have not kept up with Curry's career post playing days. He was a grad assistant at Charlotte, and has been a coaching assistant for the Seahawks for the past 3 years. Curry could be a good assistant linebackers coach option for a new coordinator who may want assistants with a North Carolina background. At this point I think that would be the most Curry could be looking at.

Seems to me that the best search parameters are looking for a successful DC at a school that has an uptempo offense. I don't think Clawson is going to change the offense substantially and apparently an uptempo offense is hard on the defense. If someone out there has had success in that situation, even at a lower level school, they might be the best option.

As someone who has spent a lot of time in West Lafayette, I can tell you that it is indeed a cool college town. It's also just over an hour from Indy which also isn't a bad place.

Back