• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Coaching Search Thread - BRAD LAMBERT IS COMING HOME

Clawson openly admitted they were ham and egging on defense. He said there were 7 coordinators today including him. He just wanted to get through this game and then start the interviewing process.

DC needs to be allowed to pick his own staff. We will limit our options if we tell a DC to retain position coaches.

Hard to argue with the results, but we played a lot of zone with minimal pass rush from our front four. We should have blitzed their inexperienced QB's with man coverage - especially on all those third and longs they converted. They picked apart our zone with the ample time they were given.

Did you hear DC on the post game? Basically said that he blitzed hard on the 1st two drives and they were gashing us. Switched to zone stopped the bleeding. Going to cover 3 in the second pitched a second half shut out.

No I didn't listen to post game. He's right in that there was a difference between the first two drives and the rest if the game, so kudos to him on the adjustment.

Gave up 141 yards on the first two drives. 135 the rest of the game.

Yeah but we still had the usual suspects with their hot takes about players and coaches sucking and fire them all.
Premature fanjaculation.

Give me Daronte Jones. LSU coordinator last year, from Maryland, played at Temple. Coached in the NFL and CFL. Former DB coach. Had stops at Hawaii, UCLA and Wisconsin. Apparently he can recruit too. Time at Hawaii and UCLA show he is familiar with offense first teams.

Now that our season is over, I would expect an announcement fairly soon.
Interesting how a few simple adjustments shut down Rutgers in the second half. Why didn’t we do things like that during the season?

Simple adjustments work against Rutgers but they don’t work against Pitt and Clemson?

Simple adjustments work against Rutgers but they don’t work against Pitt and Clemson?
This. Rutgers was a 5-7 team for a reason and without looking at the metrics, I would bet that their defense was rated better than their offense.

This. Rutgers was a 5-7 team for a reason and without looking at the metrics, I would bet that their defense was rated better than their offense.

And their offense was down a ton of playmakers. Pretty sure they were on their 4th or 5th RB.

And their offense was down a ton of playmakers. Pretty sure they were on their 4th or 5th RB.

And I don’t think I can ever remember a team playing 3 qbs outside of injury situations.

I do think their lack of prep time is being overplayed. We also didn’t know who our opponent was either. In addition, we played an extra game resulting in being more beaten and banged up.

I do think their lack of prep time is being overplayed. We also didn’t know who our opponent was either. In addition, we played an extra game resulting in being more beaten and banged up.

It's mot just prep time. Rutgers had to stop organized team practices after their last game. Wake was doing Wake stuff all the way through. Wake had about the usual week of time to prep for a specific team. Wake guys were prepping for a game, just not the team they played.

Hard to argue with the results, but we played a lot of zone with minimal pass rush from our front four. We should have blitzed their inexperienced QB's with man coverage - especially on all those third and longs they converted. They picked apart our zone with the ample time they were given.

Not sure our secondary is good enough for man coverage with blitzes. D has to improve next year with scheme as the talent on the roster likely won’t get much better unless there are some frosh ready to contribute or we grab a capable grad transfer or 2.

agreed. we are way too conservative on defense

agreed. we are way too conservative on defense

It's covering up some talent issues. And with an Offense like we have - hard to argue with making teams beat us somewhat slowly. Seemed to work this year. But no doubt it could be better. But I think the talent is as big an issue as the play calls

It's covering up some talent issues. And with an Offense like we have - hard to argue with making teams beat us somewhat slowly. Seemed to work this year. But no doubt it could be better. But I think the talent is as big an issue as the play calls

Wake needs to recruit guys with more speed, particularly at linebacker and DB. With all the option and spread offenses, fast back 7 guys are more important than ever.
Also some serious size at DT is needed. Teams in the upper echelons have O lines with guys hitting 320. D-line needs to be close in size. Otherwise Wake will see more off what Rutgers did early: successful runs up the middle.

Wake needs to recruit guys with more speed, particularly at linebacker and DB. With all the option and spread offenses, fast back 7 guys are more important than ever.
Also some serious size at DT is needed. Teams in the upper echelons have O lines with guys hitting 320. D-line needs to be close in size. Otherwise Wake will see more off what Rutgers did early: successful runs up the middle.

Height is the biggest thing we lack at DT. We have 300 pounders but they are all 6’0”-6’1”. If you look at big time programs those guys are almost all 6’3”-6’4”+. Unfortunately it’s a numbers problem. There are only so humans that size and then they need to be athletic enough. A lot easier to find skill position players that are under the radar because there are more people that size to choose from. One of the reasons that I think recruiting ability needs to be a major factor in the DC choice.

Back