• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Defensive Coordinator Coaching Search Thread - BRAD LAMBERT IS COMING HOME

Adams has been a DB coach so that would mean letting Williams go after two seasons.

But I’d be all for Curry coming back as LB coach. He did coach at Charlotte under Lambert and he’s not a position coach for the Seahawks so that’s possible.

yeah bad assumption on my part.

the guy with the strangest role on the staff is ryan crawford who was previously cornerbacks coach but was moved into "nickelbacks and assistant special teams coordinator" when we hired williams.

in theory, williams could take on safeties and nickels (seems he's done it before) that was vacated by hemphill.

For the record, Lambert was DC at Marshall for two years after Charlotte and co-DC this season with Ron English who also would be a good hire.

My guess is it would be Greg Jones leaving if Adams comes. I can’t see parting with Paul Williams after what he’s done with Holmes and Carson especially compared to what we’ve seen at LB recently.

I think we should hope that our entire defensive staff is not made up of guys who once played on defense at Wake.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this hire. Purdue's defense was pretty solid this year, but I have no idea how to parse that out between English and Lambert.

I think we should hope that our entire defensive staff is not made up of guys who once played on defense at Wake.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this hire. Purdue's defense was pretty solid this year, but I have no idea how to parse that out between English and Lambert.

Agree about not bringing on Wake dudes just because they are alums. With Lambert, I'm encouraged by the reactions of Purdue fans on twitter who seem to really like him. (Apparently he was the primarily playcaller as well). In this case, it seems that our background with Lambert actually helped us in landing someone who may not have been otherwise attainable.

Would love to see Chip here coaching safeties. Two young WF alums as position coaches on defense would be great.

In this case, it seems that our background with Lambert actually helped us in landing someone who may not have been otherwise attainable.

This is how I’m viewing it at the moment.

So you are not advocating bringing back Lambert's D-line coach at Charlotte, Aaron Curry?

Purdue's defense was pretty solid this year, but I have no idea how to parse that out between English and Lambert.

Some Purdue fans on twitter upset about this news said Lambert was calling plays, FWIW

Did you read Vaughn’s bio? He’d be a great get regardless of where he went to school.

Wake did not perform well defensively under Lambert, aside from an incredibly talented unit in 2008. I've always been skeptical of him as a result. Hopefully it was just a product of our defensive talent dropoff but it was still a significant decline.

Some stats:

Wake defensive yards/game rankings under Lambert:
2008 - #16
2009 - #75
2010 - #101

Turnovers forced rankings under Hood and Lambert:
Hood
2001 - 54th
2002 - 14th
2003 - 43rd
2004 - 68th
2005 - 89th
2006 - 10th
2007 - 4th

Lambert
2008 - 1st
2009 - T-111th
2010 - T-94th

Did you read Vaughn’s bio? He’d be a great get regardless of where he went to school.

Umm, no. Vaughn may end up being a great coach, but I don't think hiring a guy who's entire college coaching resume is WSSU, Fayetteville State, and Air Force (for less than 5 years total) would be a can't miss hire by any stretch. No recruiting experience at a high major program at all is a pretty big negative.

The entire defense was upperclassmen in 2008 except for Kyle Wilber. Lost Matt Robinson at DE, all 3 LBs(Curry, Arnoux, McClinic), Alphonso Smith at CB, Chip and KPat at safety. Then in 2009 lost Boo and John Russell at DT and Brandon Ghee. The cupboard got really bare really quick so not sure we can judge that properly. Was the switch to a 3-4 in 2010 or was that in 2011 after Lambert left?

Not happening, But Chris Barclay, Purdue RB coach, should come too!

Some pretty notable coaches out of the Wake Forest 02 Recruiting Class

Zac Taylor - Bengals HC
Josh Gattis - Michigan DC
James Adams - DBs Purdue
Napolean Sykes - Longtime Navy Assistant Coach, now at High School
Chris Barclay - Purdue RB's coach

Back