• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 21: BC @ LJVM - Monday 6 pm ACCN

Rule made sense pre-Omicron, when “get your team vaccinated and this won’t be a problem for you” was the operating theory. Omicron changes things, makes sense to change the rules.

Rule made sense pre-Omicron, when “get your team vaccinated and this won’t be a problem for you” was the operating theory. Omicron changes things, makes sense to change the rules.

Well said.

Here is an update on BC since the initial take:

BC Coach Earl Grant: Earl Grant and Steve Forbes share Gregg Marshall as a significant mentor. During his dominant run at Winthrop, Marshall hired Grant as a 27 year-old Citadel assistant. Grant worked under Marshall for 3 seasons at Winthrop, and then Grant followed Marshall to Wichita State for three more seasons (2007 to 2010), before Grant returned to his home state to work under Brad Brownell at Clemson. After serving as Brownell's top assistant for 4 years, Charleston hired Grant as head coach in 2014. Grant impressively rebuilt the Cougars program before tailing off over his last two seasons; his year by year record at Charleston:

- 2014-5: 9-24
- 2015-6: 17-14
- 2016-7: 25-10 (NIT) CAA COY
- 2017-8: 26-8 (NCAA)
- 2018-9: 24-9
- 2019-20: 17-14
- 2020-21 9-10

Grant's Charleston teams played SLOW, valuing every possession: in his his 8 years as a HC at Charleston and BC, Grant's team ranked in the bottom of quarter in the nation in pace each year. Last year's Charleston's team ranked #345 in tempo. This year's BC team is #301 in tempo (WF is #2 in the ACC in tempo - guess Grant and Forbes developed differing coaching tendencies, despite sharing a mentor).

2021-22 Eagles: BC heads to W-S with a 8-9 (3-4) record and #132 ranking. To date, BC has three ACC wins - a dominating 73-57 over #54 ND; an incredible comeback from 23 down at Clemson, and yesterday's 6 point win over disappointing VT. Largely as the result of their style of play, all of BC's losses have been reasonably close except for the UNC blowout 91=65. In ACC games, BC is a poor offensive team (#13) and a mediocre defensive (#7) team. On offense, the Eagles have been the worst team in the conference in 2 PT FG% and effective FG%. BC doesn't shoot many (12th in the ACC in 3 point FGA per overall FGA) . On defense, BC doesn't allow teams to run (5th in the ACC in length of defensive possessions), rebound missed shots (#4 in preventing offensive boards). Essentially, BC gets back on D, doesn't give up easy baskets and forces the opponent to make the one shot that they get on each offensive possession. A solid defensive strategy that Grant's teams have consistently followed.

Roster:

Starters - In yesterday's win over VT, BC started:

G 6-2 Jaeden Zachary Fr.: JUCO (Chipola) transfer with 4 years of eligibility because of a COVID year; started all of BC's games; struggled recently 5 ppg over the last 4
G 6-3 Makai Ashton-Langford Sr.: played two years at Providence; started every game of his BC career; leading scorer 13 ppg; first in assists; scored 18 in the win over VT
G/F 6-5 DeMarr Langford So.: Makai's younger brother; 2nd leading scorer (10 ppg); 2nd leading rebounder; doesn't shoot the 3 (2 for 8 on the season)
F 6-9 TJ Bickerstaff Jr: Drexel transfer; leading rebounder -- 8 rpg; not much of a scorer; double figures once in the last 9 games
C 6-9 James Karnick Sr.: Lehigh transfer; key to BC's success; he has 3 double figure games in the ACC, including a career high 26 against VT yesterday, BC has won each of those games; in the 4 conference games when he hasn't scored in double figures BC is 0-4

Bench:

C 7-0 Quinten Post Jr.: Mississippi State transfer; from the Netherlands; leads in blocks; started two games; scored 24 against GT
G 6-4 Kayne Jones Fr.: scored 12 points in the opener against Dartmouth; has scored 22 points total in the last 14 games; struggling from the field: 24% from 3; 26% from 2;

Note: G Brevin Galloway who was one of the top players for Grant at Charleston, and he followed his coach from Charleston to BC and was projected to play a major role for the Eagles. Galloway missed the VT game and with the quick turn around, could be absent again on Monday.

Projection: KP projects a 77-65 WF win 68 possessions. This is a bad spot for both teams, but after the biggest win of the season, and essentially no time to prepare, hard to expect WF's "A" game tomorrow. If not for the Monsanto addition, I would love the under, but he's instant offense, and WF is now running more; so, WF will likely trend over for the rest of the season. This game is a hard pass. Expect a sloppy game, and it's probably a tight one with 10 minutes to go. WF will find a way to win, but don't think it will be by double digits. Definitely a survive and advance type of game.

As great as it was having a beat down of UNC, that game is wasted if we don't take care of BC.

BC has to travel to Winston, and played Saturday afternoon, so the edge is to Wake on the turn around.

LaRavia said you have to do this in the NBA, what he really should have said is you have to do this in the NCAAT.

The team has momentum. Since we clicked in during the 2nd half of UVA, handling GT then playing a complete game against UNC, I wouldn't want a week off before heading the Carrier Dome. Play Monday, have some extra rest before going to 'cuse, works in our favor.

Forbes in his presser last night also said (paraphrasing), he believes that the best teams begin to coach themselves and he just has to give them guidance. I think we can see this team maturing into that.

I understand that it is a tough spot, but I almost feel like the turnaround is quick enough to be a good thing (especially given BC has to travel).

Also feels like we're due for a strong 3pt shooting game, especially with Monsanto getting back in the flow and Williamson reverting back to his form.

Is tomorrow's game televised? Was planning on going but realized my daughter acting class tomorrow so we won't be able to make it. Hoping to record it and watch it when she gets home.

Is tomorrow's game televised? Was planning on going but realized my daughter acting class tomorrow so we won't be able to make it. Hoping to record it and watch it when she gets home.

ACC Network

I say this with confidence ...your daughter is already a better actor than the ones on the commercials of the ACC Network.

This is the definition of a trap game. Feeling good that BC has been frisky at home, but mostly putrid on the road.

Would love to see if Monsanto, Hildreth, Whitt, Marsh can get some serious minutes here. Maybe a game where Mucius is a large % of scoring. Give Williams and Jake a bit of a breather.

Looking for 2 tickets to take the family to the game tonight. I bought the 4 pack for tonight, but need to find 2 more to round out the family.

Last edited:
This is a classic "let down" game if we aren't careful. I kind of like the quick turnaround, hopefully we take care of business.

We should try a lineup of ManMan, LaRavia, Monsanto, Marsh, and Walton at some point tonight ...

Back