• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mountain House in NC with reliable Wi-Fi- June 2022

Brangus

Reaction score
This board is usually a good source of travel info (it was huge help in our trip to Wyoming in 2019, thanks). Anyway, we are looking for a Western North Carolina mountain house for June 19-25 that is at least a little secluded but has reliable Wi-Fi. My wife and I will both have to work some during the stay. I've found satellite Wi-Fi to be unreliable and it is sometimes metered to the point that it slows to a crawl, so a hard line setup is probably needed. Suggestions would be appreciated. VRBO and rental agencies are sometimes unclear as to the kind of Wi-Fi. 4-5 people would be in the house, depending on whether one of our kids brings a friend. Thanks.

Contact them and ask directly about their Wi-fi.

Contact them and ask directly about their Wi-fi.

I've sent some inquiries to owners on VRBO.

Given the demographics of this board I thought someone might have reliable information about a house. I've had homeowners BS me before on VRBO when I've asked for clarification (about Wi-Fi and other amenities).

If the property is located in Avery, Watauga, Ashe or Allegheny there is a good chance Skyline Skybest is the primary internet provider. Five to ten years ago the Feds used this area as a pilot project to wire these areas with underground fiber optics. Folks in these areas say it is one of the most wired communities in the country. You can check out their website for more information. Skyline Skybest headquarters are in West Jefferson

I've sent some inquiries to owners on VRBO.

Given the demographics of this board I thought someone might have reliable information about a house. I've had homeowners BS me before on VRBO when I've asked for clarification (about Wi-Fi and other amenities).

Gotcha. We had similar concerns booking for a trip to Gatlinburg last summer and we were very happy with what we got.

Yeah bro if you’re trying to go to Ashe or Alleghany holler at me in the pms and I can set you up. Also you’re gonna get reliable Wi-Fi pretty much anywhere in that area.

Also let me suggest a place on the New and if you’re down to canoe or tube go through New River Outfitters and I’ll make sure I’m working this day and take you out.

This board is usually a good source of travel info (it was huge help in our trip to Wyoming in 2019, thanks). Anyway, we are looking for a Western North Carolina mountain house for June 19-25 that is at least a little secluded but has reliable Wi-Fi. My wife and I will both have to work some during the stay. I've found satellite Wi-Fi to be unreliable and it is sometimes metered to the point that it slows to a crawl, so a hard line setup is probably needed. Suggestions would be appreciated. VRBO and rental agencies are sometimes unclear as to the kind of Wi-Fi. 4-5 people would be in the house, depending on whether one of our kids brings a friend. Thanks.

Where, in general? I’ve got a couple, truly in the mountains, but the best one has so-so sat Wi-Fi. Most folks don’t care, when they get there, but sounds to me that you need good.

Back