• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So Where do we finish in Final CFB Rankings?

DeacDude

Reaction score
I'm going to ignore the AP for the moment as their most recent poll had us behind both NCSU and Clemson. Playoff ranking had us at 17 and the following teams that were 6-7 spots ahead of us lost:

15 Iowa
14 Oregon
13 BYU
12 Pitt
11 Utah

I say we move past all of these except Pitt to 13th.

17th. There aren’t any final CFB rankings. AP, probably 14th, but that doesn’t matter really

17th. There aren’t any final CFB rankings. AP, probably 14th, but that doesn’t matter really

Right, what I meant by CFB was College Football (AP/Coaches) not College Football Playoff. But even though we were most recently 20th that one had heavy bias from our performance in Charlotte even to the point that we were placed behind NCSU who we had fewer losses than, more wins than and beat head to head. With a final record of 11-3 we should stand to move ahead of many of the teams ahead of us that lost and correct the mistake of NCSU if not Clemson. You may be right but certainly hope for higher than 17th.

Ah, got it. Sorry. I’ll stick with 14th. If we get a stud DC and some defensive players through the portal, I could see us 12th-15th to start the year next year

It matters if it’s our highest finish ever

It also matters because a lot of lazy voters use the list of rankings from the previous year when they decide who to vote for in the current year. Being on the list will serve as a memory jogger.

The Gator Bowl announcing crew seemed to think that WF was a lock to finish with its highest ranking ever.

With the Deacs’ high ranking to finish the season and so many returns players, would think WF has a chance to be a preseason top 25 team to start next season. Rarefied air for WF football

The Gator Bowl announcing crew seemed to think that WF was a lock to finish with its highest ranking ever.

With the Deacs’ high ranking to finish the season and so many returns players, would think WF has a chance to be a preseason top 25 team to start next season. Rarefied air for WF football

If any kind of decent defense shows up for Wake next season, should be top 15. The offense should be able to put 40 or more on the board against almost anybody on the schedule.

Being ranked preseason is important because starting 3-0 against VMI, Vandy, and Liberty probably won’t get us from unranked to ranked. But if we start ranked #20, we could be in the top 15 by the first conference game in Week 4 (likely vs. Clemson or at FSU).

If we are top 15 and host Clemson, that possibly could be the biggest crowd in Wake Forest sports history.

My guess is we finish #16 this season.

Could earn Gameday as well.

Looks like BC is free on Sept. 24th as well, in addition to FSU and Clemson. Syracuse/Duke/State/UNC/Louisville all occupied

I explained why we won’t be playing BC on another thread. I think it was the Next Year’s Football Team thread.

If I remember correctly, FSU and Clemson are the only teams with Week 2 open. So they’ll have already played so Wake and BC will each play one of them.

Last edited:
Maybe -- Clemson plays @ GT on Labor Day though, so that might just be a bye week for them and FSU. Weird to have it that early but also kinda doubt they'd have them play two conference games that close together.

Also I think FSU will have two byes since they have a Week 0 game, so adds credence to the theory

Last edited:
Maybe -- Clemson plays @ GT on Labor Day though, so that might just be a bye week for them and FSU. Weird to have it that early but also kinda doubt they'd have them play two conference games that close together

I agree. Both have weird schedules. It’s certainly possible they get an early bye after playing GT and LSU respectively.

I explained why we won’t be playing BC on another thread. I think it was the Next Year’s Football Team thread.

If I remember correctly, FSU and Clemson are the only teams with Week 2 open. So they’ll have already played so Wake and BC will each play one of them.

I'm certain the ACC would explore moving non-conference game dates around before they would have FSU and Clemson play in Week 2 of the regular season. They have never played that early in the season before. There is also no way Clemson would agree to play at FSU 5 days after opening at Georgia Tech on Labor Day.

After no Gamedays ever, this would be our second in 3 seasons……and both against Clemson.
Unfortunately that's the only way we end up with GameDay. The Clemson roadshow.... but it is what it is.

Ah, got it. Sorry. I’ll stick with 14th. If we get a stud DC and some defensive players through the portal, I could see us 12th-15th to start the year next year

Voters are unlikely to do that kind of research on WFU, IMO. Losing its top RBs and WRs last year didn’t keep the Heels out out the top 10.

Unfortunately that's the only way we end up with GameDay. The Clemson roadshow.... but it is what it is.

Not a problem with me. I’ll take a Gameday…..and it will be sweeter if we beat Clemson at the same time.

Back