• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Raging on AP Top 25 Voters

I mean we were ranked a good portion of the year and not favored (or barely favored) in those games as a ranked team. that would still be the case next year I'm sure. Bama is the dynasty in this sport and they aren't favored against Georgia so you know they're using it as motivation.

Such a small time attitude. It seems like a large portion of Wake fans would rather stay underdogs and have a chip on their shoulder than to just be good.

Totally agree. We want to take it to the next level? Then the culture and expectation needs to be that we should be a ranked team because we're that good. Nobody rises to low expectations.

Such a small time attitude. It seems like a large portion of Wake fans would rather stay underdogs and have a chip on their shoulder than to just be good.

To be fair, our starting quarterback said basically the same thing.

Hartman agrees with the small time based on the end of his bowl presser.

I wonder about Clawson. As a fan, it was intoxicating for Wake to force a way into the national conversation. He had to feel it too, right?

Obviously Clawson is going to give the coachspeak about 1-0 every week. But making the top 10, being in CFP scenarios, he’s got to want that every year. Start preseason #18 or so Wake could be top 10 hosting Clemson or going to State to get a leg up in the conference race.

can’t recall where/when but clawson definitely was talking about the next step of “good to great” being sustainable greatness. which i think necessarily would make the small time attitude go away.

I mean we were ranked a good portion of the year and not favored (or barely favored) in those games as a ranked team. that would still be the case next year I'm sure. Bama is the dynasty in this sport and they aren't favored against Georgia so you know they're using it as motivation.

Absolutely use it as motivation when it presents itself, but don't wish for it. Wish for greatness. If you have a choice between starting every season unranked and trying to use that as motivation or just starting the season ranked, which would you honestly choose? Which is more sustainable and better for the program long term?

Last edited:
Good to great has to come with accepting greatness and being motivated by not letting teams knock you off your pedestal. Dabo gets that. Clemson had a down season and little chance to win the championship but as a great program, he got his players to buy into “Don’t let Wake get a trophy on our field.”

Glad my lobbying efforts were successful here. Order is restored in the world.

For the writer who thought that State’s loss at Mississippi State was more impressive than our win at Army, note that the final AP poll had Army at #31. Mississippi State received no votes at all.

15th is the highest postseason AP Poll ranking in school history surpassing 18th set in 2006

10th is the highest in season AP Poll ranking in school history

Should break the record for highest preseason AP Poll ranking in school history next season which currently stands at 23rd in 2008 and is also the only time WF has ever been ranked in the preseason poll.

15th is the highest postseason AP Poll ranking in school history surpassing 18th set in 2006

10th is the highest in season AP Poll ranking in school history

Should break the record for highest preseason AP Poll ranking in school history next season which currently stands at 23rd in 2008 and is also the only time WF has ever been ranked in the preseason poll.

Awesome stats. What a string of successes.

We weren’t preseason ranked in ‘98 or so when we lost to ecu?

Possible that was in the coaches pool or some other media outlet. I was using sports reference which only has the AP Poll.

We were ranked around #20 by SI and got destroyed by Air Force in our opening game. Went on to win all of 3 games that year, but we did manage to beat Clemson.

I've received three replies so far. One was basically "thanks for the input," a second was "I'll keep this in mind when I fill out my next ballot, but no promises" but the third was fairly detailed, and here's what he said:

"Thanks for the note and good, fair question.

Rankings are about more than just the record. That's the short answer. The longer answer...

NC State and Clemson were ahead of Wake in advanced metrics. In ESPN's SP+, Clemson was 8 (seems quite high to me, but whatever), NC State is 13 and Wake is 39th, for example. Sagarin (another analytical thing I check) now has Clemson at 8, State at 17 and Wake at 21. It's similar with ESPN's FPI. You get the point.

I viewed those 3 ACC teams as kind of a jumble. Wake beat NC State which beat Clemson which beat Wake. At that point, it comes down to other things. Wake had some unimpressive wins over Army (56 points allowed!), Louisville and Syracuse, plus a 24-point loss to Pitt. State crushed Louisville and Syracuse, while Clemson was more competitive against Pitt.

You mention, correctly, the extra Wake win. But consider the schedule. Clemson had a one-score loss against a Georgia team playing in the national championship. That's more impressive than any Wake non-con win. NC State lost at a top-40 Mississippi State team. That's probably more impressive than beating Army 70-56.

So add that all up, and that's why I put them in that order.

Appreciated the guy detailing his thoughts even if I don't agree with it all, thought the perspective was interesting to share here.

Just checked this guy's final ballot - on the previous ballot I emailed him about, State was 16, we were 19th. In his final ballot, State stayed 16, he moved us up to 15th, in case anyone was curious.

So an 11-3 team is only one spot better than the 9-3 team they beat.

Couple of other tidbits to note:

-Our highest vote in the poll is 12th (Zach Klein, WSB in Atlanta)

-Our lowest is 23rd (Ben Portnoy from The State in Columbia SC; Dave Reardon from The Honolulu Star in Honolulu; Don Williams at the Lubbock TX Avalanche-Journal; Ryan Aber at the Oklahoman in OKC).

-The Journal's own Ethan Joyce had us at 13th, which is 9 spots higher than his ranking in the previous poll...

So an 11-3 team is only one spot better than the 9-3 team they beat.

i think we should be ahead of state but imo the emphasis of H2H (esp when not on a neutral site) in such a long season is kinda silly. doesn't the wake-ncst-clemson impossible triangle basically show that?

Back