• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 16: Cuse Is In The House - Saturday 2 pm - Bally Sports

Pilchard

Reaction score
This Saturday afternoon, 77 year-old Jim Boeheim leads the Syrcause Orange into the LJVM to battle our Deacs. It will be Cuse's first trip to Winston since March 2, 2019 as COVID canceled the WF/Cuse game in 2021, and WF played only at Cuse in 2020. Since Cuse joined the ACC in 2014, the Orange are 8-1 against the Deacs.

2021-22 Orange: #73 Syracuse (7-7 (1-2)) is following the program's recent trend of strong offense (#19), but horrible defense (#204 -- worst in the ACC). Cuse gave up 100 (yes, 100) to Colgate, 89 to Auburn (who is a great long shot NCAA Champ pick BTW) and 88 to Miami yesterday. Opponents have had little trouble solving the Syracuse zone from deep (of the 358 D1 teams only 1 has surrendered more offense from behind the arc), inside (opponents shoot 51% from 2 - #240) or on the boards (#338 in keeping opponents off the offensive glass). Offensively, this Syracuse team likes to shoot: 54% effective FG% (#54), 39% from 3 (#20) , in ACC games 50% of their offense has come from 3s (#1 in the conference). The Orange are big (#5 in average height), but slow and unathletic. If Cuse has a poor shooting night they can lose to anyone (15 point loss to #160 Colgate, 4 point loss to #120 G'town), but when they are on, Cuse can give any team trouble (wins over #29 Indiana and at #46 FSU). Cuse will be desperate for a win as they are 1-2 in the ACC (win at FSU; losses at home to UVA and at Miami). In yesterday's loss to the Canes, Cuse shot the lights out to start the game, leading 44-26 late in the first half, but their defense wilted in the 2nd half as Miami stormed back to win 88-87. Cuse lost despite shooting 53% 17 for 32 from 3. Really bad sign for Cuse to lose a game shooting 32 threes and make 53%.

Roster:

Against Miami, Cuse started:

G 6-1 Jr. Joe Girard: 14 ppg., 49% from 3, leads team in assists, TOs and steals; scored 26 last night (7 for 12 from 3)
G 6-6 Sr. Buddy Boeheim: 19 ppg; led Cuse's NCAA tourney run last year; 33% from 3; 90% from the line; unlimited range
F 6-8 Sr. Jimmy Boeheim: 14 ppg.; scored 26 in the win over Indiana; 6 rpg; 40% from 3
F 6-9 Sr. Cole Swider: 13 ppg.; Villanova transfer (WF interest); shoots more 3s than 2s; 37% from 3; leads team in rebounding 6.9 rpg
C 6-11 Sr. Jesse Edrwards: 12 ppg.; 2nd rebounding 6.4 rpg; top 10 in the nation in blocking shots 3 bpg; doesn't shoot the three ever... in 3 seasons, Edwards has never attempted at trey 0-0 for his career.

Bench: Ha... Cuse has no bench. Their 5 starters average double figures; no else averages more than 2.2 ppg; Cuse is #356 (3rd to last in bench minutes)

The projection
: KP boldly picks WF to win 81-76 in 72 possessions and gives the Deacs a 68% chance to win the game. If WF is fully healthy (meaning Davien is back), like WF to win. At his Tuesday post-game press conference, Forbes advised that he knew Davien was in the protocol as of Sunday. The Cuse contest is 6 days from Sunday January 2; so, if Davien tests negative, he could possibly return for Saturday's game. That said, the most likely scenario is that Davien doesn't play. If so, would expect the game to be tight. Cuse has no answer for Alondes and Jake as both are quicker, stronger and more athletic than anyone Cuse has on the Court. That said, Cuse's shooting prowess is an equalizer, Girard, Swider and both Boeheims are capable of torching any opponent. Like that WF has an extra day to prepare for the Cuse zone. This is a key game for WF's NCAA tournament hopes as WF plays Duke and at UVA (who is starting to figure things out) next. Cuse has almost played themselves out of the NCAA already with a 7-7 start; they can't afford many more losses.

Last edited:
It's been my trend lately...if anyone has tickets they aren't using, let me know. My oldest daughter has caught the WFU basketball bug and wants us to go. Otherwise, I'll try my luck on $10 walk up cheap seats.

Here is hoping to a cold shooting performance from 'Cuse on Saturday!

If you want to meet Jim Boeheim he will be at BLL Rotisserie Factory on Knollwood for dinner on Friday

So just to get this out of the way real early, Bally means it’s blacked out in NC right? I just checked and that looks to be the case. Really glad the ACC Network is showing a replay of Clemson’s bowl game in this slot. Very important content.

So just to get this out of the way real early, Bally means it’s blacked out in NC right? I just checked and that looks to be the case. Really glad the ACC Network is showing a replay of Clemson’s bowl game in this slot. Very important content.

Should be on Bally Sports South in NC, no? Blacked out through the ESPN app though, yeah.

Should be on Bally Sports South in NC, no? Blacked out through the ESPN app though, yeah.

We have Hulu Live for TV and not cable so I think that’s the problem.

We have Hulu Live for TV and not cable so I think that’s the problem.

Same here. No Bally Sports. But, the last time that happened, my daughter said she got it via Hulu somehow. Maybe because we have the Hulu/ESPN+/Disney+ bundle?

Same here. No Bally Sports. But, the last time that happened, my daughter said she got it via Hulu somehow. Maybe because we have the Hulu/ESPN+/Disney+ bundle?

There was one time this season where it showed up anyway, but I don't think it's supposed to work that way. (it certainly didn't for our game against FSU)

i've been using my parents' cable subscription to get the games through the NESN+ app, which somehow doesn't bother verifying that i'm not 800 miles outside of their broadcast footprint

:couch:

I use my mother's Spectrum account for Balleys because its what 95% of the Hurricanes games are on. It doesn't always work particularly well.

Didn't realize Boeheim was 77. Damn. Dude must be in pretty impressive shape.

Impressive is if he actually fathered TWO kids in his mid-50's

Well, Jim had some incentive on that front. He traded up for wife #2:

jim-boeheim-and-2nd-present-wife-juli-1550825975.jpg

You can get it via Hulu through the ESPN+ channels that are a part of Hulu with your ESPN+ subscription, however just as with streaming directly through ESPN it is blacked out if your local RSN (Bally) is carrying the game. For example, in New Jersey YES Network is our version of Bally and is not carried by Hulu. If the Nets are playing at the time on YES and it's not showing Wake, I'll be able to watch through ESPN+, but if Wake is playing on YES I can't watch.

Cuss sucks. This is a good matchup for us. I expect a 12-15 point win. They have 0 answer for Williams or LaRavia in particular. We don’t even have to shoot well from outside in this game. If we play decent defense, we’ll be fine.

They need to shoot 55%+ from 3 to have a chance.

Back