• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Hoop Alumni (Past 30 Years) Best 2-on-2 Teams (Unofficial)

thatguy2016

Reaction score
Had a long conference call and put it to good use by looking at where LaRavia & ManMan rank among great Deac duos of the past 30 years.

Paired together a big man with a ball handler for each team.

To qualify, players had to play together at least one year - but I am taking peak production from each (so Senior Childress gets Senior Duncan).

Also, you can only be on one team, so sorry Rodney, Tim gets Childress (because that is the best possible combination) and you get (senior year) LaRue. Also sorry Aminu - JJ gets Teague, but hey, you get Ish.

Here are the unofficial rankings:

1. Duncan & Childress
2. Songaila & Howard
3. LaRavia & Williams
4. Johnson & Teague
5. Williams & Paul
6. Collins & Crawford
7. Rogers & LaRue
8. Aminu & Smith

put those teams in a single-elimination tournament and you get some crazy matchups. Chris Paul and Eric Williams vs. JJ and Teague? yes, please. Rodney Rogers vs. Songaila? Oh yeah. ManMan and Jake vs. Songaila and Howard in the semis? Sign me up.

Absurd amount of talent on there. Kudos to Forbes for getting some guys to add to the list.

Laravia/Williams going up against Teague/Johnson would be an absolute battle. Jake would have his hands full against JJ. I think I would actually give the slight edge to Johnson/Teague.

Laravia/Williams going up against Teague/Johnson would be an absolute battle. Jake would have his hands full against JJ. I think I would actually give the slight edge to Johnson/Teague.

Teague would not be able to defend Manman. Way too big and physical.

Teague and JJ have had long NBA careers.... pump the breaks a lil bit on LaRavia/Williams

Also... no one on this list outside of maybe Josh Howard could guard CP3. I actually think CP3 and JGray would be damn near unstoppable in a 2 on 2 game.

Teague would not be able to defend Manman. Way too big and physical.

I’m not so sure. Teague was an NBA player at the same age and he had pretty solid height/length even as a freshman/sophomore.

First half of 2008-09 Teague or second half?

Regardless, I agree that Williams and LaRavia are at least two spots too high.

JC was the best Wake big man I watched consistently. He is underrated on all-time Deacs, even if it was a short stint. That '17 season from like mid-January on he was unstoppable. Would have loved to see he and Crawford with a better coach and 1 more season.

Maybe a hot take, but I though Crawford had all the tools to become one of Wake's all time greats. Unfortunately he played under a buffoon which came with zero direction and coaching.

LOL. Slight edge to the two guys with over a decade in the NBA. Hilarious.

No offense, but those rankings are nonsense. The recency bias is off the charts. Here are better rankings:

1. Duncan & Childress
2. Songaila & Howard
3. Johnson & Teague
4. Williams & Paul
5. Rogers & LaRue
6. Collins & Crawford
7. Aminu & Smith
8. LaRavia & Williams

Danielius & Gray isn't that far behind. JGray probably had the best career of anyone whose jersey isn't in the rafters. Vytas was second team all-ACC as a sophomore.

Screw it. I'm putting them ahead of LaRavia & Williams. If they lead this team to the NCAAT, they can have that 8 spot.

Last edited:
If each is in prime
I'd take Duncan Childress and Rodgers Childress (yes he's on both) against the field and then Rodgers and Chill over all.

I'd be tempted to take Mcqueen and Rodgers over Duncan and Chill.

not reallly fair to Rodney that he gets Larue and Duncan gets Childress

edit: as ^ said

This is going way back to my childhood but mugsy bogues and Kenny green would be pretty tough. Or bogues and Anthony teachy.

not reallly fair to Rodney that he gets Larue and Duncan gets Childress

edit: as ^ said

agree esp since RR & Larue only played together for one season & Larue only played in 15 games that season (3.5 mpg). I would pair RR w/ Chill & TD w/ pre knee injury Rutland.

Travis McKie alone could take on any of these teams, but only if he’s allowed to have Bz coaching him wimpishly from the sidelines.

Maybe a hot take, but I though Crawford had all the tools to become one of Wake's all time greats. Unfortunately he played under a buffoon which came with zero direction and coaching.
Casey Crawford wasn't THAT good

If each is in prime
I'd take Duncan Childress and Rodgers Childress (yes he's on both) against the field and then Rodgers and Chill over all.

I'd be tempted to take Mcqueen and Rodgers over Duncan and Chill.

Take Anthony Tucker with Rodgers as he ran the point when McQueen was injured!

Rodney definitely needs to be near the top - no matter who you put with him. He was a MAN among boys.

Why the 30 year cutoff?

Afraid Anthony Tucker/Chris King can't keep up? Bogues and Green weren't shabby. Frank Johnson and Guy Morgan could play a little hoops. Skip Brown and Rod Griffin are in the rafters. CD and Gil McGregor say hello.

The difference is Duncan. He is one of the very best to ever play the game and on an entirely different level than everyone else. Eliminate him and you would have some incredible match ups.

Back