• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vaccine or negative test requirement for bball games starting next week

So the excuse is already out there if we win. No K. Fuck it. Get the W and take the excuses into the win column too.

Nobody on the selection committee will remember that K wasn’t coaching this game come selection time. Let’s just capitalize on what is likely to be our only opportunity at a top 10 win.

Like the people who used to fake a handicap to skip the lines. Truly despicable, selfish people.

Is there really anything wrong with that as long as people with disabilities aren't forced to wait due to those actions ?

Like the people who used to fake a handicap to skip the lines. Truly despicable, selfish people.

Yep. I’m one of the few people who support Delta Karen. She was drunk and made a stupid comment regarding Rosa Parks, but a foul mouthed dude holding a bottle of water invited himself into the conversation just to piss her off. He instigated the confrontation, called her a F bitch, and cried foul when she slapped him. All the while he excused his mask being off with the bottle of water. He was thirsty.

Yeah, they should expect people to drive 90 minutes each way, sit in their seats for 2.5 hours and not serve food and drinks.

Yeah, they should expect people to drive 90 minutes each way, sit in their seats for 2.5 hours and not serve food and drinks.

Eat and drink before you get there.

I’m sure the vast majority can go 2.5hr without starving or dying of dehydration.

The games where I’ve not eaten vastly outnumber those where I have.

You're sitting next to a possibly vaccinated stranger for 2.5 hours. Whether or not you eat something is not going to determine whether you catch Covid.

Eat and drink before you get there.

I’m sure the vast majority can go 2.5hr without starving or dying of dehydration.

The games where I’ve not eaten vastly outnumber those where I have.

I personally could not go 2.5 hours without water and a bite to eat but that’s because of my health things.

It’s amazing how many arbitrary rules are made simply because too many people are jerks. Eat your food in a reasonable fashion and put your mask back on.

Acknowledging (and respecting) the specific cases like ddb, the fact that it’s an issue to go 2.5 hours without the type of food and drink that you would get in the coliseum is a big part of why we are in our current health crisis.

Acknowledging (and respecting) the specific cases like ddb, the fact that it’s an issue to go 2.5 hours without the type of food and drink that you would get in the coliseum is a big part of why we are in our current health crisis.

Dude, it’s dinner time.

I will say that I’d have no problem going outside to do that.

Ugh. Just saw the score. Working so only checking periodically. We had made a comeback but

In any event, the observation that we should be sure we have the science right before we start listening to it seems like a pretty obvious one, and I can't fathom what would be objectionable about it, at least for people who are interested in discussing the topic in good faith. Regrettably, those people appear to be in short supply.

I haven’t read either article, but I cannot let this comment go by. Waiting until the science is conclusive, or “right”, before using science to inform decision making is folly. Science takes time to accumulate enough data to make statistically robust inference. Meanwhile the disease is spreading and people are dying so management decisions must be made. We have to make decisions all the time in all manner of issues before the full data set is collected and we just have to do the best we can with the info we do have. Your problem appears to be that some decision makers are willing to sacrifice individual freedoms in the name of being extra cautious even though the data are inconclusive or maybe even contradictory. I’d suggest that the data are also equally inconclusive that requiring masks and vaccine cards are somehow harmful. With a small probability of benefit and zero probability of harm it makes sense to put masking and vaccine requirements in place.

Think of wearing a mask and showing a vaccine card like taking your shoes off at the airport because one guy 18 years tried to make a shoe bomb (and failed). 800K deaths seems to me to warrant extra caution like that, but some people disagree I guess.

A question I haven't had clearly answered is whether the "low to absent" efficacy of the "current vaccine schedule" (two shots of mRNA six weeks apart?), which in junebug's description of the study is distinct from vaccine + booster, is due to the efficacy of the vaccine in building antibody response (to fight future infection) or based on current antibody levels in those who have recently you've received a shot. Or both

In other words, are boosted people having better results because they've more recently had a shot and thus have antibodies already? As I understand it the boosters for pfizer and moderna have largely been identical to the first and second shots.

Does this question make sense?

I wonder when being "fully vaccinated" will include having had a recent booster.

I think i understand your question differently from what Louis answered (but he is on another level than both of us).
I think you are asking if the Booster is providing better immunity because it an extra dose or better because it is just more recent. It's going to be some of both. After exposure (virus or vaccine), you will make a cloud of circulating antibodies. Their presence makes a subsequent infection much more difficult for the potential offending virus. However, over weeks, those antibody levels will decrease. They have to. You can't have a ton of circulating antibodies remaining from every viral infection/vaccine you've every encountered. That would clog your arteries with protein antibodies. However, you maintain memory immune cells that are very specific to those proteins on the surface of the virus capsid. Therefore, when you are exposed again, you have a head start. You don't have to go through the process LG describes for designing the specific B cells and T cells. You already have ones that recognize the offender. They just need to proliferate and blast out their antibodies.
The booster does give that protection of a more recently exposure with circulating antibodies. It also "boosts' your overall immune response. So you can respond better even when those antibodies have declined. Finally, the booster is meant to extend your memory.
So, the booster makes your immunity better and better for longer.
There are several vaccines that involve boosters that provide what we consider lifelong immunity. This 3rd/booster dose is meant to improve immunity but it will also extend our immunity longer than the second. We will continue to follow to see how far that extension lasts.

Does that answer your question? I can give my summary of the immune response later if you are interested. Multi-tasking, so I hope that makes sense.

Yes, very helpful for my basic ignorance, though my specific question was about the study's apparent finding that the standard vaccine schedule wasn't effective against omicron: I wanted to know if the vaccine+ booster appears to be more successful against omicron simply because the the booster subject has antibodies from reacting to the recent booster (rather than the body mounting an antibody response based on what it learned from the original vaccine).

Does that distinction make sense? Could be nonsense. I'm sorry to say I don't have the sciencey vocabulary.

And I appreciate LouisGossett's attempt to explain things to me too but his "less complex" answer was still entirely over my head.

The virus is Mako’s mom. The original first vaccine shot antibodies are Diggler, it will work but it’s not a great fit, he also doesn’t last long. The second vaccine shot antibodies are Ph, he fits a little better and lasts a little longer than Diggler. The booster shot antibodies are Dv5.75, he fits almost perfectly and last even longer!

Back