• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vaccine or negative test requirement for bball games starting next week

Some people complained about the time it took to get in last night. We arrived 30 minutes before tip and walked right in.

Yes, very helpful for my basic ignorance, though my specific question was about the study's apparent finding that the standard vaccine schedule wasn't effective against omicron: I wanted to know if the vaccine+ booster appears to be more successful against omicron simply because the the booster subject has antibodies from reacting to the recent booster (rather than the body mounting an antibody response based on what it learned from the original vaccine).

Does that distinction make sense? Could be nonsense. I'm sorry to say I don't have the sciencey vocabulary.

And I appreciate LouisGossett's attempt to explain things to me too but his "less complex" answer was still entirely over my head.

Let me take a shot at a very simplified bottom line.

The body has multiple pathways and methods of fighting disease via the immune system. The Cell paper is discussion of results from investigating one specific pathway, called "humoral." The Cell paper showed it wasn't particularly effective at neutralizing the Corona virus. The last two paragraphs list five other kinds of immune responses that they did not investigate.

Hospitalizations and deaths among those fully vaccinated suggest strongly that some immune response processes are very effective and that those responses are activated by the vaccines. Which ones and how are questions for further research. That research is underway.

Here is an imperfect analogy. Many statics are compiled after a football game. These stats help explain who won and who lost. Rushing yardage is one. If I told you team A had over 400 yards rushing and team B had less than half that, it would be easy to conclude that team A likely won. Now, if I told you that team B actually scored more points and won, You would be saying how did that happen? What are the rest of the statistics?

The paper showed that humoral antibody neutralization of the virus was not effective, like team B's run defense.

Because of the massive differences in severe illness, hospitalizations and deaths between the vaxxed and unvaxxed, some of other immune system pathways must be working better in vaccinated individuals. Just like team B had other parts of their football game working well enough to win.

Some people complained about the time it took to get in last night. We arrived 30 minutes before tip and walked right in.

I saw almost zero bottleneck with the vax card check. However, the traffic around the Joel was pretty miserable. I've lived in W-S for 20+ yrs and don't recall ever parking in the football blue lot. I guess it's the price of being "back"

I saw almost zero bottleneck with the vax card check. However, the traffic around the Joel was pretty miserable. I've lived in W-S for 20+ yrs and don't recall ever parking in the football blue lot. I guess it's the price of being "back"

That was my experience too. It took forever getting from downtown to the Joel. Not sure why last night was so bad.

Traffic leaving was awful as well. If there was someone manually controlling signals, he wasn't doing a very good job.

That was my experience too. It took forever getting from downtown to the Joel. Not sure why last night was so bad.

Traffic leaving was awful as well. If there was someone manually controlling signals, he wasn't doing a very good job.

Since Wake bought LJVM, it seems like traffic control exiting after the games has been much, much worse. There are very few people directing traffic. And not allowing cars to turn right onto Deacon Blvd is just stupid.

From what I saw on Tv it looks like Wake is not enforcing the mask mandate.

Student section full of non maskers.

From what I saw on Tv it looks like Wake is not enforcing the mask mandate.

Student section full of non maskers.

Fans were pretty well masked and ushers enforced it. There were plenty of “holding a drink” exceptions.

Can’t comment on students.

We missed the entire regular season but now may try making the NIT on Wednesday. Can anyone verify if at home covid tests count for the negative test requirement at the Joel? Feel like I should leave my wife home as punishment for being stupid, but guessing I'll give in as usual.

Are they still doing this ? They can't still be doing this.

We missed the entire regular season but now may try making the NIT on Wednesday. Can anyone verify if at home covid tests count for the negative test requirement at the Joel? Feel like I should leave my wife home as punishment for being stupid, but guessing I'll give in as usual.

Just bring your vax card or a picture of your vax card.

Just bring your vax card or a picture of your vax card.

I think Jonas may have been indicating that his wife is not vaccinated. The staff outside the Joel check vax cards/tests, but not very carefully. I would think a home test would work, but I don't know for certain.

You can find a picture of any vax card online and show it on your phone.

Don't know what it was like in January but at the State game seemed like most people weren't wearing masks.

The LJVMC has got to be the largest building in NC, if not the entire South checking vax status.

You can find a picture of any vax card online and show it on your phone.

Don't know what it was like in January but at the State game seemed like most people weren't wearing masks.

every place I went that checked vax cards compared the name with your ID

The LJVMC has got to be the largest building in NC, if not the entire South checking vax status.

That's fine. Shame people into getting it. People refusing to get vaxxed kept all of us from getting back to normal for a long time. So now let us enjoy normal life while they suffer.

Are you talking about getting into the Joel? That was not our experience. They barely looked at the card and didn't look at IDs at all.

Not at the Joel. The games I attended, we had to show our vax cards or a picture of it. But they just barely glanced at it and no one asked for any ID.

but it's also lame to encourage people using fake vax cards, despite what the biffs of the world complain about Covid restrictions still being in place.

I'm just being realistic. If someone hasn't gotten vaxxed yet, you're not going to shame them into it. And if they want to sit indoors within six feet of a dozen people for two hours knowing it may kill them, go for it. They won't be checking vax cards at the Joel in November under the same set of circumstances. Just stop.

And on the very few occasions I've had a vax card checked, they looked at it for 1-2 seconds and didn't check ID. It's a total waste of time.

Back