• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vaccine or negative test requirement for bball games starting next week

It's not about vaxxed up folks feeling safe, it's about delivering a message to all the fucking redneck, ignorant, mouth breathing, fox news watchers who have fucked this up for all of us.

It's not about vaxxed up folks feeling safe, it's about delivering a message to all the fucking redneck, ignorant, mouth breathing, fox news watchers who have fucked this up for all of us.

News flash: The Chinese fucked it up for all of us. As much as it's nice to blame others, particularly if they are of a different political persuasion, the unvaccinated and anti-vaxxers make a convenient scapegoat but aren't responsible for the spread. Zero Covid was always a pipedream. Not only was there a loooong time when nobody was vaccinated, but Covid unfortunately (and Omicron in particular) shows very little preference in spreading between unvaccinated or vaccinated.

But you're right. It is all about sending a message and giving people some false sense of security that they won't get Covid during a game. It is also more likely an attempt to temper the crowds and reduce the likelihood of transmission by creating more social distance. But if any spread is controlled, it will be due to that and not one's vaccination status.

But we will probably endure a month of this shit, even though this surge is going to start to taper off in a week. The policy, as usual, is implemented late and will be lifted late.

We just gonna let this comment slide under the radar?

What, exactly, is "serious condition" and where did you get that figure?

That's an actual question because it seems like a completely made up figure given the rate of hospitalization for kids is between like 1 to 4 in 100,000 (depending on age).

For the record, I see no issue with requiring proof of vaccination to attend the basketball game. I don't think it will really do anything to stop the spread, but if it makes people feel better that's fine. Everyone at least knows the rules and can make their own decision.

That is what Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor just made up as argument to keep the mandate in businesses. Crazy you can just make numbers up to create fear right? Just like New York releasing information to show over half of their “hospitilizations due to Covid” recently were actually just hospitilizations for something else that they got to test positive. No, I actually won’t miss out from going to a Wake basketball game. You can keep the game with an empty arena if it makes you feel safer.

To be fair, it's not just "redneck fox news people" who are at fault. For example, at least in my area black & Hispanic vax rates still trail whites by a significant margin. But to the black folk's credit, at least they wear a mask everywhere including driving around in a car by themselves, which I find kind of weird but whatever.

For example, at least in my area black & Hispanic vax rates still trail whites by a significant margin.

That’d be a little surprising, since it would go against prevailing national trends that have seen black and Hispanic vaccination rates catching up to white people over the last 6 months. Do you have a link to that data?

That’d be a little surprising, since it would go against prevailing national trends that have seen black and Hispanic vaccination rates catching up to white people over the last 6 months. Do you have a link to that data?

Nah, just in talking with my neighbor/our local hospital administrator about what she's seeing in terms of admissions, intubations, etc. and in her conversations with local docs with hospital privileges'.

News flash: The Chinese fucked it up for all of us. As much as it's nice to blame others, particularly if they are of a different political persuasion, the unvaccinated and anti-vaxxers make a convenient scapegoat but aren't responsible for the spread. Zero Covid was always a pipedream.

Apparently, irony is dead.

The people that demanded things open and society return to normal sure do bitch a lot about the easiest measure to allow things to return to normal, vaccination. Get vaccinated, plummet the hospitalization, severe outcome and death numbers and everyone can move on with their lives.

I am a wake alum, MD, own my practice, have the rapid m-RNA testing in our lab and avid fox watcher. Everyone in my family is fully vaxed and boosted. Everyone also got covid last year at thanksgiving except my NYC daughter who had antibodies. All had very mild symptoms and no fever. Cost me several thousands of dollars not to work for 10 days and still pay overhead. We test all employees who are symptomatic and all unvaxxed every three weeks. In the last 6 weeks,1/3 of our positive cases are symptomatic vaxed employees. We will not have enough reagents or enough time in a 40 hour week to test everyone unvaxxed every week if that goes into effect. My daughter waited 5 hours in the cold in NYC to get a test cause she had the sniffles and was getting ready to travel. My fully vaxxed daughter caught it again from her fully vaxxed housemate. Before we travelled over the holidays, my home test was positive and 5 minutes later 2 of 2 m-RNA were negative. I enjoyed my trip. My heath care partners and providers who are vaxxed are not getting tested now unless very symptomatic. I will only get tested if I have a fever. There is going to be a severe lack of tests if all this negative testing proof requirement goes through. Yes, some will get the vax because of cost and inability to find tests weekly, yes I fully believe symptoms are milder if vaxxed, yes I believe in my body my choice. Tests should be preserved for the symptomatic and not to go to a ball game or work. When Biden and company can make tests plentiful, I will change my tune. Go deacs!!!

People go to work to have money to live. A basketball game is worlds of difference away from that situation, doesn’t seem reasonable to put them both in the same sentence.

How many unvaxxed are even trying to go to a wake bball game anyway? If they’re desperate to go but can’t find a test and choose to not vaccinate, well choices have consequences.

I totally agree and my point is more about the lack of tests and then requiring them for entertainment when work is much more important. People who want to go to work and have symptoms and cant find a test is causing serious staffing issues at least at my outpatient surgical center.
100 % life is about choices and choices have consequences. I would rather they say you have to be vaxxed to go to any indoor entertainment venue than have the option of a negative test. Save the tests for workers and symptomatic people.

Meh, the number of people testing for events is so inconsequential in comparison to all other reasons that the logic to save the tests for those other reasons doesn’t hold up. It’s not that there is actually a shortage of tests either, unless it’s a self rapid antigen test which do not count for proof.

Meh, the number of people testing for events is so inconsequential in comparison to all other reasons that the logic to save the tests for those other reasons doesn’t hold up. It’s not that there is actually a shortage of tests either, unless it’s a self rapid antigen test which do not count for proof.

Anecdotal for sure, but my mother's 24 hour drive-thru test in NC took 4 days to deliver results. The shortage of home tests is obviously very real, and anything that drives demand for the lab tests is going to contribute to to an overall delay in testing results with lab tests too. That includes tests for sporting events, which I agree are by themselves fairly inconsequential.

Also, FWIW, my stepkid was refused a drive thru test in a small town in Texas (which is where he could find and schedule a test) because he was testing to see if he was negative yet after a positive test from 4 1/2 days prior, which indicates to me that some testing sites aren't just giving out tests to whoever wants want one.

Wake students have to be vaxxed and boosted before coming onto campus this weekend.

I am a wake alum, MD, own my practice, have the rapid m-RNA testing in our lab and avid fox watcher. Everyone in my family is fully vaxed and boosted. Everyone also got covid last year at thanksgiving except my NYC daughter who had antibodies. All had very mild symptoms and no fever. Cost me several thousands of dollars not to work for 10 days and still pay overhead. We test all employees who are symptomatic and all unvaxxed every three weeks. In the last 6 weeks,1/3 of our positive cases are symptomatic vaxed employees. We will not have enough reagents or enough time in a 40 hour week to test everyone unvaxxed every week if that goes into effect. My daughter waited 5 hours in the cold in NYC to get a test cause she had the sniffles and was getting ready to travel. My fully vaxxed daughter caught it again from her fully vaxxed housemate. Before we travelled over the holidays, my home test was positive and 5 minutes later 2 of 2 m-RNA were negative. I enjoyed my trip. My heath care partners and providers who are vaxxed are not getting tested now unless very symptomatic. I will only get tested if I have a fever. There is going to be a severe lack of tests if all this negative testing proof requirement goes through. Yes, some will get the vax because of cost and inability to find tests weekly, yes I fully believe symptoms are milder if vaxxed, yes I believe in my body my choice. Tests should be preserved for the symptomatic and not to go to a ball game or work. When Biden and company can make tests plentiful, I will change my tune. Go deacs!!!

So you used 3 tests for yourself to be able to travel yet you are complaining about wasting tests on basketball games?

Ain’t nobody testing to go to WF games. Anti-vaxxers just won’t go.

Back