• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Hoop History - Greatest Team 2-point and Effective Shooting Percentages

Thanks for sharing this. Interesting that our percentage on "farther twos", which are generally to be avoided, is higher than the overall percentage we are allowing for ALL 2's in ACC play.

Yeah, interesting. You can look at a breakdown here: https://www.barttorvik.com/playerpb...ake Forest&minrim=0&min2=0&min3=0&tot=0&rev=0

I think they have a very generous definition of "farther twos" which seem to include hook shots and floaters based on Walton and LaRavia showing up so high who rarely take jump shots. Alondes is the one guy who does take a decent amount of mid-range jumpers and just from my eye test he seems to be a really good shooter from there.

back to the top.

59.6% from 2, 56.1% effective FG%

current squad #1 in school history in 2-pt% (by miles) and eFG%

#3 in the nation in 2-pt and #11 in the nation in eFG (Zags are #1 in both)

In ACC play, #1 in both 2-pt and eFG, #1 in 2-pt defense, #2 in eFG defense

I know our hoops history hasn’t been great but it’s kind of nuts to me that we could set a school record for 2 pt by miles but only be the third best this year.

I just took a quick look. Gonzaga has been near the top a lot the last few years (makes sense). But so has... Belmont?!

This run is insanely consistent.

2022 - 2nd (as of now)
2021 - 3rd
2020 - 5th
2019 - 3rd
2018 - 1st!
2017 - 1st!
2016 - 1st!
2015 - 3rd
2014 - 1st!
2013 - 1st!
2012 - 7th

Belmont has had an impressive run over the last 15 years or so. They've won their conference championship and/or regular season championship almost every year despite moving from the A-Sun to the OVC. They'll be in the MVC next year. We'll see how they stack up against Loyola-Chicago and UNI.

Belmont has had an impressive run over the last 15 years or so. They've won their conference championship and/or regular season championship almost every year despite moving from the A-Sun to the OVC. They'll be in the MVC next year. We'll see how they stack up against Loyola-Chicago and UNI.

Is our mutual friend still there?

Yep. He's been there for a long time now. He loves it. He got me and our other friend in the area tickets when they played here vs. UF a few years ago. We may finally get a Wake-Belmont matchup in the NCAAT this year.

Yep. He's been there for a long time now. He loves it. He got me and our other friend in the area tickets when they played here vs. UF a few years ago. We may finally get a Wake-Belmont matchup in the NCAAT this year.

That's great! Besides being a Cuse fan - he's a great guy. Give him my best!
And if wake makes the ncaa I'm there. And doubly so if it's against Belmont. Would love to see him. And the rest of you guys too

UNI hasn’t been any good since Faroukmanesh. And unfortunately Belmont won’t get to play Loyola there, as Belmont is actually replacing them in the MVC as Loyola moves to the A-10.

Oh yeah. That’s right. Belmont should continue to do well in the MVC for a decade and then maybe the Big East is next.

I know our hoops history hasn’t been great but it’s kind of nuts to me that we could set a school record for 2 pt by miles but only be the third best this year.

have no data to support this, but i suspect as long 2s have been being phased out of the game in favor of shooting more 3s, overall 2-pt FG% has gone up as a function of shot distance.

We have three guys that can score inside. I just wish when we get into a scoring drought that we would go inside a few times to get back on track. Or maybe instead of taking 4-5 3's in a row toss in a two since we are so effective.

have no data to support this, but i suspect as long 2s have been being phased out of the game in favor of shooting more 3s, overall 2-pt FG% has gone up as a function of shot distance.

the short answer to this is that according to KP, WF's 2022 shooting percentage would have been:

#2 in the nation 2002-04
#1 2005-15
#2 or #3 2016-22

75% percentile team 2-pt shooting nationally has been very consistently at 50% from 2002-15, ticking up to ~52% from 2018-22

Here are median, 90th percentile (top 33-ish), and 99% percentile (top 3-ish) since 2002, along with WF

I call out the high points (CP3's last year, Ish/Teague/JJ/Aminu, Collins)

I purposely set the range to have 2019 fall below the chart. The 2019 Deacs were 344th in 2-point shooting percentage (Paint Touches)

Shooting nationally didn't move much until 2016 or so but has definitely trended up the past few years

NCAA-Shooting.png

Last edited:
Here are median, 90th percentile (top 33-ish), and 99% percentile (top 3-ish) since 2002, along with WF

I call out the high points (CP3's last year, Ish/Teague/JJ/Aminu, Collins)

I purposely set the range to have 2019 fall below the chart. The 2019 Deacs were 344th in 2-point shooting percentage (Paint Touches)

Shooting nationally didn't move much until 2016 or so but has definitely trended up the past few years

NCAA-Shooting.png

thanks for pulling this, pretty fascinating (might just be me).

one of the most interesting things to me is how the 2-pt % trend dips downward twice in the chart, which seems to coincide with when the three point line was moved back (2009 and 2020). good illustration of how it’s such a complex interrelated system.

I’d love to see the 2p% (median or 90%) against the median of 3pa/fga. To Iappreciateit’s point, I think those are likely pretty inter-related.

As to Wake, if one wanted to go overboard getting excited, seeing our two best teams of the last 25 years being the two at 90%+ percentile is a start. Then blowing those away is the cherry on top.

Back