• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Hoop History - Greatest Team 2-point and Effective Shooting Percentages

thatguy2016

Reaction score
The 3-point shot was introduced in 1986-87. (there was a one-year trial of the shorter distance).

Since then, here are the top 5 seasons before this season in terms of team 2-point shooting percentage:

1. 2008-2009 53.6% JJ/Aminu/Teague/Ish
2. 2004-2005 53.4% CP3 final season
3. 2001-2002 52.9% Songaila (sr)/Howard
4. 1991-1992 52.9% King/Tucker (srs); Rogers
5. 1994-1995 52.8% Childress (sr) / Duncan

This year's team has made 58.8% of its 2-point shots and 62.6% during conference play, which (so far) would be far and away the best in WF history.

It is fair to point out that what really matters (if we're considering only shooting from the floor) is effective FG%, or eFG%, adjusting for 3-point shooting. Top 5 eFG% seasons in WF history:

1. 2004-2005 55.47% CP3 final season
2. 1995-1996 54.5% Duncan Jr year
3. 1992-1993 54.4% Rogers final season
4. 2016-2017 54.1% John Collins
5. 2003-2004 53.9% CP3 Freshman

This year's team eFG% is 54.9% so far, which would rank 2nd all-time; in ACC play, the eFG% is 55.48%, which would rank 1st all-time by the slimmest of margins.

Obviously, there is a lot of basketball left to be played. But Damn, Forbes has assembled a team and a system that can shoot.

Forbes has commented frequently that this group can score. Defense has been a work in progress. The second half and overtime against Syracuse were a good sign that is happening. Wednesday will be a greater test, both physically and, more importantly, mentally. Handling the whistles, and more importantly, lack of whistles, will be the big test.

BTTT

Good thread for context on what’s working this season

Just shot 52% on 2’s with an eFG% of 51% on the road against what is usually the best defensive team in the conference, if not the country.

up to 59.3% on the year, 4th best in the nation and absolutely crushing the best-ever 2-point shooting percentages in WF history (and note the top 5 teams on that list had a future NBA all-star, an ACC POY, and/or multiple 10+year NBA players)

#2 in the nation behind the Zags heading into tonight.

In ACC play, 7 percentage points ahead of the 2nd-best shooting team.

2pt in conference: 62.8% offense, 41.8% defense, a 21 difference. I just stare at it amazed.

This team gets so many baskets in transition off their defense

titswf referred me to this pretty awesome metrics site, here's our shooting splits: https://www.barttorvik.com/teampbptot.php?sort=14&year=2022&conlimit=ACC

in the acc, we rank:
2nd in dunks attempted (82) -- we make 90.2% of them
2nd in "close twos" attempted (477) -- we make 67.9%
1st in threes attempted (511) -- we make 32.9% of them
14th in "farther twos" attempted (241) -- we make 43.6% of them

basically, our shot selection is really good.

also while we can certainly cut out a few of the turnovers we commit, i think a lot of them come from aggressive passing which also contributes to our high number of easy shots.

The contrast in our 2p% for and against is stark. I think a big piece of that comes from our overall size (not all of it because FSU #1 in size isn’t great here) — we are now #11 in average height on the floor nationally, and the lineups we’ve played the last 2-3 games would be closer to #6.

I wanted to know just how stark so I did some digging. For reference, we shoot 59.7% from 2, 44.7% against, for a solid +15.0%. And lest we think that’s inflated by our easy early schedule, it’s actually been more lopsided in conference play, 62.8% and 41.8% for a wild +21%.

The only teams better than our +15.0% nationally are Gonzaga (+21) and Arizona (+20), who happen to be #1 and #2 overall in Kenpom.

titswf referred me to this pretty awesome metrics site, here's our shooting splits: https://www.barttorvik.com/teampbptot.php?sort=14&year=2022&conlimit=ACC

in the acc, we rank:
2nd in dunks attempted (82) -- we make 90.2% of them
2nd in "close twos" attempted (477) -- we make 67.9%
1st in threes attempted (511) -- we make 32.9% of them
14th in "farther twos" attempted (241) -- we make 43.6% of them

basically, our shot selection is really good.

also while we can certainly cut out a few of the turnovers we commit, i think a lot of them come from aggressive passing which also contributes to our high number of easy shots.

Thanks for sharing this. Interesting that our percentage on "farther twos", which are generally to be avoided, is higher than the overall percentage we are allowing for ALL 2's in ACC play.

Of the 358 D-1 men's college teams, WF is currently #3 in 2 PT%. The only schools ahead of WF are Gonzaga and Belmont, both are programs that are well-coached and also play in conferences where the rest of programs that they compete with are far behind in talent and resources. Beyond impressive for WF to playing so well together against ACC competition (even if the conference is down) with so many new faces.

Is making 90% of dunks good , bad, or about average. I honestly have no idea

Back